English Requirement - Creative writing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shinytofu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
on the AMCAs, they classify an english course as:

English Language & Literature (ENGL)
-Composition & Rhetoric
- Creative Writing
- Literature

(taken from https://www.aamc.org/students/download/181694/data/amcas_course_classification_guide.pdf)

I have taken the Composition and Rhetoric equivalent course the fall quarter of freshman year. I tried taking an Argument and Research writing class, but dropped it due to lack of interest. I saw an Intro to fiction class, and it greatly interests me.

To summarize:
Does an argument and research class fulfill part of the 1 year English req?

Does a creative writing class fulfill part of the 1 year English req?

Seeing as "Creative Writing" is listed under what is acceptable for Med schools, and based off other threads - even though AMCAs accepts creative writing, I have to check with individual schools to make sure?

Is it okay if a writing class is taken, as long as it is part of the English Department of the university?

Has there ever been a case that a school denies acceptance because of a creative writing class that was taken instead of an English class? (my school only offers writing courses)

Lastly, my school is on the quarter system. The general pathway for premed students is to take Composition and Rhetoric, Argument and Research, and an upper division Bio Lab writing class. In my case, i plan to take the C&R, Creative Writing, and the upper division Bio lab writing class. Do you think the latter path is alright in terms of the 1 year English requirement?

I tried asking the counselor at my school, and she gave me a vague "mm" to my questions. I'm hoping SDN will offer a somewhat more convincing answer :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

The general pathway for premed students is to take Composition and Rhetoric, Argument and Research, and an upper division Bio Lab writing class. In my case, i plan to take the C&R, Creative Writing, and the upper division Bio lab writing class. Do you think the latter path is alright in terms of the 1 year English requirement?

Yes, this will be fine.

The main purpose of an English "requirement" IMHO is that AMCAS wants applicants to show training and ability to communicate effectively. Passing English "composition" classes is the traditional way students show they have the necessary training.

"Creative Writing" classes are technically "beyond" basic English Comp, and most schools won't let you enroll in them without passing their own "basic" writing course (i.e. English Comp...

That being said, AMCAS apparently allows Creative Writing to satisfy it's own "requirement" for "English." Whether doing well in a creative writing course is as good test of your basic English skills as a traditional composition course is arguable. It's also arguable that doing well on a comp course is a fair assessment of your language skills. Everything depends upon the quality of the course.:)