English Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCP1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this comes up a lot, but I want to take another English class this coming semester. This way, along with my freshman one, I can be sure of having the six english credits.

However, to graduate, I also need to take an English class that fulfills a humanities requirement. Most of the classes either are taught by poor professors or do not work with my schedule, so I am considering taking a 200 level English class on academica argumentative writing.

I am just wondering if med schools will look down upon me taking a 200 level course as a senior? I have a 300 level writing intensive course in the Psych department which would probably fulfill the English requirement for some/most schools but I just want to be absolutely sure.

If it matters, I will have two other 300 level Bio classes and a 500 level Bio class as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't think that they will look down upon it, half of my ENG credits (4 credits) came from an AP Exam and I got in this cycle.

I took a 100 level English course my senior year and it hasn't caused me any problems at schools requiring English credit. I also have some upper level writing courses in my major (neuroscience) that I've used to demonstrate my writing ability. So I think it'd be fine if you took the 200 level English class or if you just used your psych classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am just wondering if med schools will look down upon me taking a 200 level course as a senior? I have a 300 level writing intensive course in the Psych department which would probably fulfill the English requirement for some/most schools but I just want to be absolutely sure.

Why would the school expect you to be taking advanced English courses, unless you're an English major (which you don't seem to be)? Being a senior has nothing to do with it.

You should be fine with your 200 level English course. (BTW, you should get a letter from your department about the Psych course fulfilling the English requirement. Several schools that I've applied to require this for any course which isn't listed under the English department.)

Thanks for the help everyone.

The only reason I wondered about the lower number was because another student in one of my labs this semester was talking about how she got a letter from UofD Mercy dental school that stated that expected Seniors to be taking mostly 300-500 level courses. I just wondered in there was something similar. The idea seems kind of silly to me as course numbers are pretty arbritary as well as the fact you brought up student 1799 about upper level classes.

Thanks again for the help.

Don't worry about it.

Having worked your way up to the 300+ level in bio doesn't advance your history/econ/English skills. No one should expect you to take upper division courses if it is only intended to fulfill a requirement or broaden your horizons.

Definitely don't "rent space" in your head on this one. I think adcoms just want to make sure that you can write and talk English and they assume this is true when you take 2 English classes, I think irrespective of the levels. I took a 100 level and a 300 level, but I only did the 300 level as it was a requirement for my major. Take the 200 level and relax with that.:)