English Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enmeds

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Quick question. Are osteopathic med schools open to students who have taken one english course and wish to use another writing intensive course (e.g philosophy with essays, etc) in place of the second half of english? Any schools in particular that will not allow this? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,
Quick question. Are osteopathic med schools open to students who have taken one english course and wish to use another writing intensive course (e.g philosophy with essays, etc) in place of the second half of english? Any schools in particular that will not allow this? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Writing intensive =/= English course. Writing intensives are a requirement for your major, whereas English classes are for university requirements. If the class isn't ENG####, then from my knowledge, it won't cut it.

Hey everyone,

Thanks

I had the same problem. Most all of the schools will accept writing intensive, in addition to traditional English courses. Examples include ATSU, KCUMB and Western U. The only two exceptions I found were PCOM and Nova. When I asked, both specifically said, "if you have not taken six credits of composition and literature, you do not meet the requirement." I did not chance it by spending the money to apply, only to not meet the formal requirements upon review. In my experience, the schools which are flexible require documentation of the course. In other words, they will ask about it. For example, I took an upper-level writing course, and had to send in a letter explaining the course was writing-intensive, and include a copy of the course syllabus. Good luck!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools look highly upon one additional English class above and beyond the English 101/102 sequence.

I haven't taken a single "English" class in college. I did have to take 18 units of "Humanities" though...

I had the same problem. Most all of the schools will accept writing intensive, in addition to traditional English courses. Examples include ATSU, KCUMB and Western U. The only two exceptions I found were PCOM and Nova. When I asked, both specifically said, "if you have not taken six credits of composition and/or literature, you do not meet the requirement." I did not chance it by spending the money to apply, only to not meet the formal requirements upon review. In my experience, the schools which are flexible require documentation of the course. In other words, they will ask about it. For example, I had to send in a letter explaining the course was writing-intensive, and a copy of the course syllabus. Good luck!

At PCOM does the 6 credits have to include a composition course and a literature course, or will 2 composition courses with no literature courses suffice.

Western would not accept either my philosophy or sociology courses to meet the English requirement. I am having to take the second semester of English before matriculating in the fall.

At PCOM does the 6 credits have to include a composition course and a literature course, or will 2 composition courses with no literature courses suffice.

It is at least three credits of each. I was told by the admissions office I would need to take a literature course before matriculating to meet the requirement. Nova is the same.