Enhanced Patient Access to Services Bill in Texas

Started by BenJammin
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BenJammin

No Apologies
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Proposed bill here in Texas would allow pharmacists to perform flu/strep tests and dispense medications under a physicians standing order. Have you guys heard about this?
 
Proposed bill here in Texas would allow pharmacists to perform flu/strep tests and dispense medications under a physicians standing order. Have you guys heard about this?

Yup....all I can think is that it would just add on another metric to meet with no more additional help or pay. It's still in the early stages/up in the air.
 
Yup....all I can think is that it would just add on another metric to meet with no more additional help or pay. It's still in the early stages/up in the air.

This means I can get stuff from you guys now instead of the NP at the minute clinic right?

How would this not increase your payment? Wasn't the pharmD to get increased scope? Does doing those tests not have a reimbursement code?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This means I can get stuff from you guys now instead of the NP at the minute clinic right?

How would this not increase your payment? Wasn't the pharmD to get increased scope? Does doing those tests not have a reimbursement code?

We don't have the vaunted "provider status" so we can't bill insurance for stuff like that. Even if a fee is charged, the retail companies will just pocket it.
 
We don't have the vaunted "provider status" so we can't bill insurance for stuff like that. Even if a fee is charged, the retail companies will just pocket it.

Do the NPs who don't have the drug base and training volume you do have the ability to bill? Or are they salaried and the money goes to the chain?

If new legalities come through will it always benefit the chain and admin over you even though you are specifically doing the service?
 
Do the NPs who don't have the drug base and training volume you do have the ability to bill? Or are they salaried and the money goes to the chain?

If new legalities come through will it always benefit the chain and admin over you even though you are specifically doing the service?

NPs are considered providers, so they can bill insurance for services like MDs. I honestly have no idea how NPs are compensated in retail chains.

I doubt even if pharmacists got classified as providers that chains would give us a portion. We already bill for immunizations since protocols with MDs are set up to allow us to do so, and I don't know of any chain that gives RPhs a cut of each one done. We still typically make more than an NP anyway or anyone in general, for that matter, so I can't complain too much.

The bulk of our economic benefit to chains or hospitals to justify our employment will always be dispensing meds, no matter what faculty/academics will try to say to the contrary. This stuff is just window dressing.

Pharmacy orgs would be much better served fighting for improved working conditions and doing something about dropping insurance reimbursement first rather than this stuff.
 
Last edited:
NPs are considered providers, so they can bill insurance for services like MDs. I honestly have no idea how NPs are compensated in retail chains.

I doubt even if pharmacists got classified as providers that chains would give us a portion. We already bill for immunizations since protocols with MDs are set up to allow us to do so, and I don't know of any chain that gives RPhs a cut of each one done. We still typically make more than an NP anyway or anyone in general, for that matter, so I can't complain too much.

The bulk of our economic benefit to chains or hospitals to justify our employment will always be dispensing meds, no matter what faculty/academics will try to say to the contrary. This stuff is just window dressing.

Pharmacy orgs would be much better served fighting for improved working conditions and doing something about dropping insurance reimbursement first rather than this stuff.

Ya I've heard the working conditions can be really bad. I'll always smile and ask how your days going or tell the screaming patient that they're taking care of five people simultaneously to give y'all a break. Glad to see you don't drink the academic koolaid