Deleted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrHorseLovesNeighing

Reaction score
Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don’t really see a strong case for EnMed here at all, and would choose Jefferson. Jefferson is more established, is closer to home, and will set you up for a competitive surgical residency well.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
But what about the MEng in engineering, need-analysis, and innovation at EnMed?
I would eventually earn an MEng…
It's a brand new curriculum, so if you are attracted to being a guinea pig (it's not like the school is on preliminary accreditation, but it's still an adjustment), I see the attraction.

However, it's not clear what the MEng will get you if you are going forward with your MD/residency. It is so brand new that Texas A&M needs to pitch to you the advantages and the potential career directions you would go.

It's not like it's a Masters in Anatomy so you can teach gross anatomy to future med students. It's not a Masters in education so you can design curricula for future med students. It's an engineering degree, Students from similar programs help with developing innovations such as new materials for implants or replacements or improve other processes (like image processing). Would a similar option be available to you? This is Duke's MD/MSE.

Where's your heart again?

Reactions: 1 user
I currently have an aspiration to fuse engineering and medicine, if possible, in my career: medical devices and regenerative medicine are interesting to me. I also realize that technology and engineering are becoming more and more important in medicine.
You can fuse engineering and medicine without having a MEng. Physicians and surgeons do it every day, right now, and most don’t have an engineering degree. There’s a reason why medical device reps/engineers and surgeons are different people - primarily, the time constraints of being a resident/practicing surgeon.

Also, for the type of work you’re describing, it sounds like you’d need a PhD in engineering and not just a masters. So I’m not sure what the benefit of a masters in engineering would realistically get you, unless the school has specific pathways laid out.

You can be involved in research during medical school and residency, and maybe once you become an attending you can lead a research group that has engineers and the like on your team. But you just went through the medical school application process, and medical school itself is something that needs your full attention and focus. There is also a high probability that you might change your mind and not be interested in any surgical specialty, since a majority of incoming medical students change their mind over the course of medical school and their rotations.

It’s really up to you. EnMed is cheaper but farther from home and not in the region you want to go to residency, and is a new program. You won’t get a masters of engineering at Jefferson, and probably not ever if you don’t go to EnMed (the chances of going back to school after residency is slim, imo). Is that something you can live with? If it isn’t, go to EnMed and do away rotations on the East Coast and push out research so you match into a competitive surgical specialty. Or just go to Jefferson and match into surgery (still not a cake walk lol), and be active in research and ultimately end up in a similar position.

Reactions: 1 users
I think the only thing that I'd vote EnMed over Jeff is the cost of living. That said, outside of that, Jefferson takes the cake.

Where’s my heart as in what do I really want to do?

EnMed’s MEng allows you to develop early-stage medical technologies. Their MD/MEng is in 4 years than 5.

In the midst of all your considerations, you also wrote
After undergrad, I went to work to see what engineering in practice is like; and, I ultimately decided that even though I like engineering, my heart belongs in medicine despite its short-comings.

Explain further, in light of what has been pointed out.