Enough Clinical Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pandabear121

Reaction score
I've been stuck in a tough position where I was expecting to have a job as an MA this summer but was recently taken away. Would it be okay to submit an application next year with 400 hours of scribing and 300 hours of clinical volunteering? Is this enough clinical experience? Additionally, the only rec letter from an MD I will have will be one from someone I shadowed, would this be a red flag?

Members don't see this ad.

Are we this neurotic now that we think 700 hours isn't enough? Haha don't worry, that's far above average.

Reactions: 4 users
I've been stuck in a tough position where I was expecting to have a job as an MA this summer but was recently taken away. Would it be okay to submit an application next year with 400 hours of scribing and 300 hours of clinical volunteering? Is this enough clinical experience? Additionally, the only rec letter from an MD I will have will be one from someone I shadowed, would this be a red flag?
Save yourself the time, these letters are useless for 99% of MD schools.

700 hours is good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Save yourself the time, these letters are useless for 99% of MD schools.

700 hours is good.
I don't understand, are you saying that the shadowing rec letter is useless? Then I won't have nay rec letters from an MD. Will this not be a red flag?

I don't understand, are you saying that the shadowing rec letter is useless? Then I won't have nay rec letters from an MD. Will this not be a red flag?
No that would not be a red flag. While you need to interact with physicians to know what you're getting yourself into, often you won't interact in a way that allows the physician to get to know you very well. Indeed, by "shadowing" you're supposed to just observe passively which means you can't really demonstrate any abilities. This can result in pretty unhelpful letters where they basically just say " @pandabear121 showed up on time and seemed eager to learn."

Get letters from people who actually know you well and can comment on your skills and why you would be a good doctor.

Reactions: 3 users