Enough for service-oriented schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackbear369

Reaction score
Hello, just wanted your opinion on whether or not the hours I will have completed below are competitive enough for the service-oriented medical schools that are out there.

550hrs total clinical volunteering (I have more clinical experience, but they are paid)
350hrs total non-clinical volunteering with under-served communities

I know about LizzyM's advice on how many hours is enough, but I was just curious to see if this was adequate for most schools, including the highly service oriented ones. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, just wanted your opinion on whether or not the hours I will have completed below are competitive enough for the service-oriented medical schools that are out there.

550hrs total clinical volunteering (I have more clinical experience, but they are paid)

I know about LizzyM's advice on how many hours is enough, but I was just curious to see if this was adequate for most schools, including the highly service oriented ones. Thanks
Over how long a period did you accumulate the 350 hours of nonclinical volunteering? What was your role?

Reactions: 1 user

Those are great hours!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is some of the (projected) 550 clinical volunteering from the first 1.5 years of college or did you start that about the same time?
Yes, I started my clinical volunteering early on in my college career, before the non-clinical volunteering began unfortunately

Yes, I started my clinical volunteering early on in my college career
Your accumulated volunteer hours are terrific, and if looked at in aggregate should reflect well on you with service-oriented med schools (though I'd have liked to see some type of nonmedical community service started before 6 months ago).

Your accumulated volunteer hours are terrific, and if looked at in aggregate should reflect well on you with service-oriented med schools (though I'd have liked to see some type of nonmedical community service started before 6 months ago).
Great, thanks so much Catalystik! I agree, I wish I started volunteering at the soup kitchen earlier, it's really a rewarding experience! Thanks again, I really appreciate your feedback!

Reactions: 1 users