Enrollment Decision: SCO vs SUNY vs PCO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweixt89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to decide between SCO and SUNY.

I calculated the financial costs and SCO for me would be about $50,000 cheaper overall. (Damn NYC living expenses!)

I love NYC and didn't really like Memphis when I visited.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry this isn't answering your question, but can you tell me more about your impression of Memphis? I'm from the New York / NJ area and have lived around here most of my life, but I'm applying to SCO soon. Feel free to PM me if that's more comfortable. Good luck with your decision!

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to decide between SCO and SUNY.

I calculated the financial costs and SCO for me would be about $50,000 cheaper overall. (Damn NYC living expenses!)

I love NYC and didn't really like Memphis when I visited.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

Hi sweixt89, did you factor into the costs that after the first year, SUNY offers instate tuition? (As long as you're living in NY). For me, that was a huge benefit.

I've never been to Memphis, so I can't really comment on SCO. I do know that the culture and life in NYC is pretty incomparable. It's not someplace I'd want to spend the rest of my life, but for 4 years, I think it would be a pretty amazing opportunity. Also, the transportation system is really great. You definitely wouldn't need a car. I don't know if Memphis is a place where you would need one?

I agree though, NYC is expensive. But I'd rather live in debt for a few years than look back and wish I had gone to another school. I think though that wherever people end up, they generally love.

Good luck deciding!

My first impressions of Memphis were not great. I think if you are from the NY area, you probably won't like Memphis too much. When I was there, I stayed with my college roommate who lived on Mud Island, which is a really nice area and the houses/apartments are pretty decent. When we went out at night, there wasn't much to do? I think there are two or three bars on Beale Street that everyone goes to? Compared to hanging out in NYC, Memphis definitely lacks greatly and overall the city in my opinion is kind of ugly and I feel like there is not a lot of cultural diversity and multicultural events and restaurants there. I hope this helps! But keep in mind, I just stayed there for 2 days and got a tour from someone who only lived in Memphis for 3 months. Good luck with applications~ :)