SUNY vs MCPHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

verslaflamme9

Reaction score
Hello. I’m having a really hard time deciding between these two schools. Both of them have accepted me with generous scholarships, and both have major pros and cons for me. Conventional wisdom would tell me go to SUNY, but I am apprehensive about having to live in such a big and expensive city on student loan money, having to find random roommates, etc. MCPHS is a much newer school with less of a reputation and lower board pass rates, but I like the idea of going to school in a quieter and more affordable town with less distractions, and most importantly, I’m very interested in their dual degree OD/MPH program.

Does anyone have any relevant advice on this matter? I’m starting to get really stressed out about this choice.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Have you connected with any students that are part of the MCPHS OD/MPH program? What are some of the challenges of being in school for (I assume) an extra year, and how is that year funded? What types of projects does MCPHS do in public health, and how successful have faculty been funded for grants or published? Ultimately where do you see yourself practicing, and which program provides the most support for you to be able to pass the crucial board exams and connect you with future mentors and peers?

Do not doubt that decisions usually boil down to three major concerns: cost, curriculum, and support system.

I graduated from MCPHS.
PLEASE pick SUNY
at the end of the day it all boils down to passing your boards on time and my class has such a low passing rate, alot of them are still struggling to pass boards even after graduation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you connected with any students that are part of the MCPHS OD/MPH program? What are some of the challenges of being in school for (I assume) an extra year, and how is that year funded? What types of projects does MCPHS do in public health, and how successful have faculty been funded for grants or published? Ultimately where do you see yourself practicing, and which program provides the most support for you to be able to pass the crucial board exams and connect you with future mentors and peers?

Do not doubt that decisions usually boil down to three major concerns: cost, curriculum, and support system.
Hi!

From what I understand, the MPH portion is fully online and most students choose to begin the MPH during their second or third year and can be completed within 2-3 years. The MPH is at no additional charge.

I graduated from MCPHS.
PLEASE pick SUNY
at the end of the day it all boils down to passing your boards on time and my class has such a low passing rate, alot of them are still struggling to pass boards even after graduation.
Hi eyelina! Would you mind if I sent you a message? I just interviewed for MCPHS and was offered a seat for this cycle. I would appreciate any insight!

Thank you :giggle: