ENT and Ophtho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BuddyDog

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone- I just posted something a bit similar in the ophtho forum and am trying to get some more information to make my decision. I know this ENT vs ophtho has been brought up before, but I have a few specific questions.

I am in the midst of decided if I want to take a research block with ENT or ophtho in my upcoming 2nd semester of third year. I've always wanted to do ophtho, but recently rotated on it and really only enjoyed plastics. Always thought retina was cool, but it seemed like it was becoming more and more injections and less and less OR time. OR time is a big factor for me in whatever I do. I found that I loved the variety and necessitated planning stages of oculoplastics. Of course, it seems like the hours of ophtho residency are a bit better than that of ENT, but I wonder if anyone has any idea on the excitement of ENT vs ophtho. It seems, from my limited experience, that ENT may have more variety and more "planning" than optho. Is this true? I'm wondering if anyone else on this forum was in the situation and chose ENT- and if so was it for some of these same reasons and are you happy with the decision? I'm sorry for the rambling, I'm just trying to get a feel for the two fields. Thank you all so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone- I just posted something a bit similar in the ophtho forum and am trying to get some more information to make my decision. I know this ENT vs ophtho has been brought up before, but I have a few specific questions.

I am in the midst of decided if I want to take a research block with ENT or ophtho in my upcoming 2nd semester of third year. I've always wanted to do ophtho, but recently rotated on it and really only enjoyed plastics. Always thought retina was cool, but it seemed like it was becoming more and more injections and less and less OR time. OR time is a big factor for me in whatever I do. I found that I loved the variety and necessitated planning stages of oculoplastics. Of course, it seems like the hours of ophtho residency are a bit better than that of ENT, but I wonder if anyone has any idea on the excitement of ENT vs ophtho. It seems, from my limited experience, that ENT may have more variety and more "planning" than optho. Is this true? I'm wondering if anyone else on this forum was in the situation and chose ENT- and if so was it for some of these same reasons and are you happy with the decision? I'm sorry for the rambling, I'm just trying to get a feel for the two fields. Thank you all so much!

I am probably not the one to be asked this because I tease my ophthalmology colleagues all the time for being eye dentists. The variety for ophthalmologists is quite narrow. I have several general ophthalmologist friends who will do 20 cataract surgeries in the day and that is it maybe with a couple blepharoplasties per week. They will make a boat load of money, but variety is not a part of that equation.

On the other hand, ENT's will do some general surgery, some endoscopic surgery, some plastic surgery, some orthopedic surgery, some endocrine surgery, some vascular surgery, and a ton of clinical procedures. Variety is one of the the defining features of being an ENT.

Reactions: 1 user