ENT application switch to GS quick?

Started by keithbruin
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

keithbruin

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a subpar applicant for ENT but am hoping to get in based on research. I will apply to all 90 programs I think. Will the timing work out if I see that I am not getting enough interviews for ENT to switch my application to General Surgery. I guess would I basically know by September or so I won't have a shot at ENT and be able to do a 4th year elective in surgery to get a letter of rec? I suppose I could get my General Surgery rotation attending to write me a letter pretty quick. He wrote me a good but not great evaluation and I only saw him for an hour per day on teaching rounds and scrubbed in on two surgeries with him.
I don't want to prepare applications for both at the same time because 1) is that it might make ENT programs think I am unfocused and 2) I want to focus everything I have on one good shot at ENT to be at peace with myself.
 
I received a bulk of my interviews during late October and early November, so I don't think waiting around is the best idea. I would apply to both Gen Surg and ENT up front if you are really unsure about your chances. Hope this helps.

I just looked at my interview offer dates again.
Oct: 3 offers
Nov: 9 offers (2 off waiting list)
Dec: 1 offer
Jan: 1 offer (off waiting list)

I had below average board score for ENT.
Below average class ranking.
Very strong research.
Very strong letters (found out after some interviewers read them out to me).