ENT application switch to GS quick?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keithbruin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a subpar applicant for ENT but am hoping to get in based on research. I will apply to all 90 programs I think. Will the timing work out if I see that I am not getting enough interviews for ENT to switch my application to General Surgery. I guess would I basically know by September or so I won't have a shot at ENT and be able to do a 4th year elective in surgery to get a letter of rec? I suppose I could get my General Surgery rotation attending to write me a letter pretty quick. He wrote me a good but not great evaluation and I only saw him for an hour per day on teaching rounds and scrubbed in on two surgeries with him.
I don't want to prepare applications for both at the same time because 1) is that it might make ENT programs think I am unfocused and 2) I want to focus everything I have on one good shot at ENT to be at peace with myself.

Members don't see this ad.

I received a bulk of my interviews during late October and early November, so I don't think waiting around is the best idea. I would apply to both Gen Surg and ENT up front if you are really unsure about your chances. Hope this helps.

I just looked at my interview offer dates again.
Oct: 3 offers
Nov: 9 offers (2 off waiting list)
Dec: 1 offer
Jan: 1 offer (off waiting list)

I had below average board score for ENT.
Below average class ranking.
Very strong research.
Very strong letters (found out after some interviewers read them out to me).