ENT question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Robb1818

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what the differences were between doing an osteopathic residency in ENT/Facial Plastics vs. and allopathic residency in ENT and then doing a fellowship in facial plastics? It seems like going the osteopathic route would knock off a few years but are there disadvantages to this? Also, are osteopathic programs just as difficult to get into as allopathic?

Members don't see this ad.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Robb1818:
•I was just wondering what the differences were between doing an osteopathic residency in ENT/Facial Plastics vs. and allopathic residency in ENT and then doing a fellowship in facial plastics? It seems like going the osteopathic route would knock off a few years but are there disadvantages to this? Also, are osteopathic programs just as difficult to get into as allopathic?•••••I may be mistaken, but I think that the title "Otorhinolaryngology/Facial Plastic Surgery" is simply the long-winded title given to the osteopathic residency. I don't think there's any more emphasis on facial cosmetics. (If there is, they're short-changing their residents on the scope of other otolaryngology procedures.)

I believe, however, that a well-rounded graduate of either an osteopathic or allopathic otolaryngology program is qualified to perform many facial cosmetic procedures.

Personally, I think the best route to oto and plastics is to do the residency and then do the fellowship. You'll have the piece of paper stating you're fellowship trained in facial plastics, and many people (i.e., patients) want to see this hanging on your wall.

I don't know what the statistics are for osteopath students who match in osteopathic ENT, but a quick look reveals many vacancies in osteopathic ENT residencies. I don't know why. I don't know how experienced they are.

From my understanding, the AOA residency website shows the number of positions available for the current academic year. If a residency states 4 funded and 3 filled, that means that currently there is one position available. In other words, they are not really vacant, just available in the match. Also, after talking with some DO ENT's it appears that there are some added requirements in facial plastics. If you look at the AOA website, you will see some ENT residencies that do not have the Oto/fac.plastics title, but simply oto.

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by Pikevillemedstudent:
•From my understanding, the AOA residency website shows the number of positions available for the current academic year. If a residency states 4 funded and 3 filled, that means that currently there is one position available.•••••Logically. However, I was viewing the following website:

<a href="http://www.aocoohns.org/residents/aocohns-res1.htm" target="_blank">http://www.aocoohns.org/residents/aocohns-res1.htm</a>

and I noticed that there were years previous to 2002 that weren't filled by a number of institutions. For example:

-------------------------------------------
ERIE
Metro Health Center - #127942
252 W. 11th Street
Erie, PA 16501
(814) 870-3400
(3 approved)
Program Director: Kirk W. Steehler, D.O.
Fax: (814) 866-2655

Chris Knox, DO - 7/1/98 to 6/30/2003
open
open
------------------------------------------

I'm curious: does this mean they didn't take anyone in 1999 or 2000 (or 2001) or didn't get anyone in those years? There are also others with filled positions, but the years of training aren't sequential. That implied to me that they weren't taking that year(s) or didn't fill that year(s).

•••quote:••••
Also, after talking with some DO ENT's it appears that there are some added requirements in facial plastics. If you look at the AOA website, you will see some ENT residencies that do not have the Oto/fac.plastics title, but simply oto.•••••Hmmm...extra facial plastics. Do the programs emphasize the same core training? Or do some programs *specifically* train more residents in facial plastics?

I visited aoa-net.org and saw that there was only one residency listed as "otolaryngology" and the rest as "otolaryngology/facial" (18). The otolaryngic allergy residency (1) appears to be akin to a fellowship (approved for 3, filled with 1).

I have also seen the aocoohns website information you listed and I am as bewildered as you are. Some of the programs are only approved for a very small number of spots total. Here is the AOA website info for Erie:
Positions for the Current Academic Year:
Approved: 3
Funded: 2
Filled: 1
They must only accept 2 ENT residents TOTAL. Of course this is all just speculation on my part. Appartently they have one position available in the match this year, or perhaps a better explanation is that no one wants to go to a residency with only two total residents!

As for the facial plastics, I was told that the AOA requires a large amount of plastics to be performed every year by the resident. I have been unable to find any specific numbers as to the minimum requirements. I do agree that placing an emphasis on plastics my lessen your exposure to other ENT procedures.