ENT Residency Years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drfunktacular

ANA ≠ SLE
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me the progression of the ENT residency? From what I understand, many programs now have you do a sort of rotating surgical internship that also includes months in such things as ER and anesthesia. My dad is an ENT, and he said when he did his residency it was more like a straight GSurg internship, and he said for a while some places were even talking about going to a 2+4 structure. Are there any programs like this, or are they all 1+4 now? Are there any programs that send you through a straight-up GSurg year (I would love to avoid this...)?

Members don't see this ad.

as far as I know there is no more straight general surgery internship anymore. The intern year now consists of ED, NSurg, CC, ENT, Anesthesia, and then a variety of gen surg stuff to fill in the gaps.

There are some ENT programs that are 6 years but typically still have the one "general" year and a year of research, followed by the 4 years of ENT training.

Hope this helps.

as far as I know there is no more straight general surgery internship anymore. The intern year now consists of ED, NSurg, CC, ENT, Anesthesia, and then a variety of gen surg stuff to fill in the gaps.

There are some ENT programs that are 6 years but typically still have the one "general" year and a year of research, followed by the 4 years of ENT training.

Hope this helps.

Agree. When I trained, I was under the general surgery chair for my internship so I was at his mercy as to what rotations I had, but he treated all of us fairly and we didn't get stuck unnecessarily doing transplant or something miserable like it as did the general surgery interns.