ENT vs Ophth for Aesthetics Training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Techmonkey

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ENT is a pretty common route for those interesting in performing facial work. Ophth does allow you to go down the oculoplastics route but how feasible is it to subsequently obtain training on facial aesthetics techniques?

Personally Ophth seems to be the more interesting than ENT but ENT definitely gives you more exposure to muscle, tissue manipulation and vasculature.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Plastics

2.(tie) Dermatology -- Procedural Dermatology fellowship at institution that performs cosmetic procedures
ENT -- facial plastics fellowship / general plastics (neither of which are likely to get you a great deal of exposure, but you will have a background to build upon)

I would most definitely opt for #1 -- you will find that you are better prepared for the market if you are able to do more than just facial procedures. Augmentations and body work will help fill the schedule and pay the bills while you are trying to build the practice that you ultimately desire.

Plastics.

Good luck

Ah perhaps I should have mentioned that I intend to practice in Asia where blepharoplasty forms the bulk of cosmetic procedures.

Admittedly now that derms are doing more surgical procedures (BCCs, Keloids) it does seem more appealing.

To be really proficient at blephs, you could go one of several routes:

-Ophtho then oculoplastics
-Oto then facial plastics
-G-surg/Oto then plastics fellowship
-Plastics residency

It all depends on what ELSE you want to do. Ophtho, Oto, G-surg, and general plastics all do very different things and prepare you for different things.

If all you want to do is facial plastics, then the ENT-FP route is what I would recommend. That said, you miss out on all the rest of general plastic surgery (breast/body/recon/etc).