MCAT Enter our Raffle - FREE MCAT Course!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NextStepTutor_1

Next Step Test Prep Tutor
Vendor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Happy Test Prep Week, everyone! This week, we're excited to be raffling off a Next Step Online MCAT Course (retail price of $1299) for free!! This course is taught exclusively by our core team of instructors who have scored in the 99th percentile on the MCAT. It includes:
  • A custom study plan generated to meet your needs
  • All 10 Next Step Full Length Practice Exams
  • All 3 AAMC Practice Exams, plus the AAMC Online Official Guide
  • 10+ hours of weekly live online Office Hours with the same instructors who created the course
  • Over 60 hours of Lesson Videos, over 25 hours of Science Content Review videos, and video explanations for over 200 passages
  • All 11 Next Step books (4 Content Review books, 4 Strategy & Practice books, 108 Verbal Passages book, MCAT QBook, and MCAT Coursebook)
  • A half-length MCAT Diagnostic and a Science Content Diagnostic exam
  • ...and even more!
To enter this raffle, post a question or comment that contributes meaningfully to the contents of this thread. A winner will randomly be selected among those who participate.

Some questions we'd love to hear you answer are:

- What are your biggest concerns about MCAT prep?

- How do you plan to prep for the exam - or are you not sure yet?

...and of course:

- What questions can we help you answer this week?

Good luck everyone! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am scared that I will not be able to balance classes with MCAT prep. I am also worried about finding the right practice material that I can afford. I am scared that I might pay for practice passages and tests that are very different from the actual test and will mislead me.

Last spring I attempted to study on my own. I had issues understanding the passages and thinking "like a test writer." It is safe to say I struggled. This is my question: Does NextStep offer passage strategy in the course?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am scared that I will not be able to balance classes with MCAT prep. I am also worried about finding the right practice material that I can afford. I am scared that I might pay for practice passages and tests that are very different from the actual test and will mislead me.

Hi there! Thanks for sharing your concerns - balancing MCAT prep with classes can seem like a really intimidating prospect. But it doesn't have to be a bad experience! I've seen more students than I can possibly remember who excelled on the MCAT even while taking a full load of classes or working full-time. It's important to 1) give yourself plenty of time to prepare and 2) set reasonable, time-based goals and stick to them. (For example, "one week from now, I want to be through these chapters" or "one month from today, I need to have taken my first full-length practice test.) This way, you have some structure and classes and other commitments don't gobble up all of your MCAT study time.

Regarding practice tests and passages, the nice thing about many MCAT options out there is that you can try them out for free before making a financial commitment. This way, you don't end up in a situation where you bought a bunch of exams and later find out that they are unrepresentative. In your case, I recommend trying out some free products - for example, a diagnostic exam - and seeing how you feel. You can even try out some AAMC passages and see how other resources compare. (I don't mean the AAMC practice exams, of course - you'll want to save those for later. But the AAMC has plenty of other resources you can look at to get an early idea of what is or is not representative, like their Official Guide.)

Good luck :)

Last spring I attempted to study on my own. I had issues understanding the passages and thinking "like a test writer." It is safe to say I struggled. This is my question: Does NextStep offer passage strategy in the course?

Thanks so much for bringing this up - passage strategy is definitely a top concern for many students! The Next Step course absolutely does cover passage strategy. The core class resource consists of 20 lesson videos, with a fairly even split between content and strategy. A typical lesson includes a detailed walkthrough of 2-3 passages and the strategy required. Alternatively, for students who want to focus 100% of their time on strategy rather than content, we offer an "Express Course" option with shorter lessons focused almost entirely on reasoning/passages.

We also have a strategy focus in our office hour sessions, so course students can talk about their own strategy/reasoning issues live online with an instructor. Alternatively, let's say you just took an AAMC practice exam and can't figure out what your strategy should have been for a particular passage. The online course includes pre-recorded videos of every passage from each AAMC practice exam, as well as select other resources, so you can actually watch how our instructors recommend you reason through them.

Let us know anytime if you have other questions! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks so much for bringing this up - passage strategy is definitely a top concern for many students! The Next Step course absolutely does cover passage strategy. The core class resource consists of 20 lesson videos, with a fairly even split between content and strategy. A typical lesson includes a detailed walkthrough of 2-3 passages and the strategy required. Alternatively, for students who want to focus 100% of their time on strategy rather than content, we offer an "Express Course" option with shorter lessons focused almost entirely on reasoning/passages.

We also have a strategy focus in our office hour sessions, so course students can talk about their own strategy/reasoning issues live online with an instructor. Alternatively, let's say you just took an AAMC practice exam and can't figure out what your strategy should have been for a particular passage. The online course includes pre-recorded videos of every passage from each AAMC practice exam, as well as select other resources, so you can actually watch how our instructors recommend you reason through them.

Let us know anytime if you have other questions! :)
Thank you so much for this response. I like the idea of the Express Course. Critical thinking isn't my strong suite, so it is something that I am definitely looking into!

By the way, for anyone interested in free resources, you can sign up for our free practice bundle here: FREE Next Step Full Length

The free bundle includes a half-length diagnostic exam, free full-length exam, our science content diagnostic exam, our first physics QBank, and more!

Note: You do NOT need to sign up to enter our raffle! All you need to do to enter to win a FREE MCAT course is comment in this thread. The SDN team will choose a winner from students who have commented. We'd love to hear from you :)

Last edited:
A friend who recently took the test highly recommended your FLs and passage-based books.
I hope I am the lucky winner of the raffle!
My biggest concern for the test is the C/P section.
I am planning on honing on content during the fall and take the test during March of 2018.
My question is: Does NS has a schedule to self-study if you buy the books?
Thank you in advance for your time!
Best of luck to everybody taking the test and participating in the raffles.
Happy Test Prep Week

I am studying on my own and after 3 full length exam, I cannot seem to get into the 500s, highest 497. I am also using Khan Academy to supplement my studying. How does NextStep focus on the individual's weak point to guarantee a higher score on the exam. Additionally, is NS full length exam reflective to the actual MCAT exam?

Knowing how to personalize your study often presents a challenge for many students, myself included. I know that practice makes perfect and I have heard many good things about the quality of Next Step full length practice exams. However, How do you suggest getting the most out of the exams? Especially since they are so long. Also, I am currently taking an intro to psychology class, do you have any suggestions on how to get the most out of my class for the mcat? I

Hi. I actually took the exam last June and I didn't do so well. I studied on my own for about 2 months because I couldn't keep up with my full time job and school at the same time. I felt that I needed more time to practice but I had already signed up for the exam and I didn't want to regret not taking it. My biggest concern is the CARS section. I always struggle with the time and I can't seem to improve my score by much after a lot of practice. I wonder if there's a different approach or analysis from mine? I will be taking the exam again in January and I am already studying again. I practiced with NextStep FL exams and I truly think they are extremely close to the real exam, the other practice exams out there are not as similar as NextStep.

Than
Hi there! Thanks for sharing your concerns - balancing MCAT prep with classes can seem like a really intimidating prospect. But it doesn't have to be a bad experience! I've seen more students than I can possibly remember who excelled on the MCAT even while taking a full load of classes or working full-time. It's important to 1) give yourself plenty of time to prepare and 2) set reasonable, time-based goals and stick to them. (For example, "one week from now, I want to be through these chapters" or "one month from today, I need to have taken my first full-length practice test.) This way, you have some structure and classes and other commitments don't gobble up all of your MCAT study time.

Regarding practice tests and passages, the nice thing about many MCAT options out there is that you can try them out for free before making a financial commitment. This way, you don't end up in a situation where you bought a bunch of exams and later find out that they are unrepresentative. In your case, I recommend trying out some free products - for example, a diagnostic exam - and seeing how you feel. You can even try out some AAMC passages and see how other resources compare. (I don't mean the AAMC practice exams, of course - you'll want to save those for later. But the AAMC has plenty of other resources you can look at to get an early idea of what is or is not representative, like their Official Guide.)

Thank you very much

Members don't see this ad :)
I am studying on my own and after 3 full length exam, I cannot seem to get into the 500s, highest 497. I am also using Khan Academy to supplement my studying. How does NextStep focus on the individual's weak point to guarantee a higher score on the exam. Additionally, is NS full length exam reflective to the actual MCAT exam?

Hi @really_nervous! First of all, note that it's fairly normal to be stuck at a plateau for a few full-lengths. Just make sure you review each one very carefully, both the questions you answered incorrectly and correctly. If you make it your personal goal to learn at least one thing from every single question you complete, and if you review these lessons regularly, you should be right on track to improve your score.

At Next Step, our #1 focus is individual/personalized attention. We started out as a company that only provided one-on-one tutoring, and we tried to keep that mentality as we developed our online MCAT course. For this reason, every student who enrolls in the course is generated their own personal study plan. Course students also have access to 10 hours per week of live online office hours, which are held in small groups (typically about 5 students, sometimes more, sometimes fewer). These office hours are heavily focused on passage review, so the instructor can see what content errors and reasoning mistakes you make in real time and give you suggestions on correcting them.

As for our full-length exams, I certainly believe they are reflective of the official test, and our data backs that up as well. Our interface is designed to look, feel, and navigate as similarly to the AAMC as possible, and our questions aim for the same difficulty level, content coverage, and general experimental/research-based focus as the real test. And with regard to score, we regularly review feedback from students who have taken both our exams and the official MCAT to ensure that their scores on Next Step exams are absolutely as predictive of official score as possible.

Let us know absolutely anytime if you have more questions, or if we can help in any other way :)

- Clara, MCAT Course Instructor

Knowing how to personalize your study often presents a challenge for many students, myself included. I know that practice makes perfect and I have heard many good things about the quality of Next Step full length practice exams. However, How do you suggest getting the most out of the exams? Especially since they are so long. Also, I am currently taking an intro to psychology class, do you have any suggestions on how to get the most out of my class for the mcat? I

Hi @Dove G^2, good questions! Let me answer your questions in order. First, there are two aspects of "getting the most out of a practice exam": taking the exam and reviewing it. You're absolutely right that the exams are really long, and especially feel that way early on in the MCAT prep process. This is the main value of taking practice exams: it allows you to get completely accustomed to the length, style, format, and timing of the exam. To make the most of this process, I recommend taking each exam under test-like conditions - timed, with no breaks (even if you are able to pause the exam, try not to do so!), in a quiet location away from home. If possible, you can even mimic more specific parts of the Test Day process - for example, by using a desktop computer or an actual computer mouse instead of a trackpad, since that's what the testing center will use.

You mentioned that the practice tests are really long, so if you initially have trouble taking a full test under exam-like conditions, it is absolutely fine to start out taking individual sections instead. I've seen tons of students delay their first full-length because they don't feel ready to handle a seven-hour exam (or because they haven't yet covered 100% of the content), but in general, the sooner you get accustomed to test-style passage practice, the better. If you don't feel up to taking a full test, then, just choose one of the four sections (perhaps one you have been working on recently - or even a CARS section, which doesn't require any specific knowledge!) and take that - ideally under timed conditions, but if that's not possible, untimed. This way, you become familiar with the question and passage style of the exam and can use that familiarity to shape your prep early on.

However, all of these tips for taking the exam are not nearly as important as properly reviewing the exam. Review is absolutely everything in MCAT prep! I've seen plenty of students take only a few full-lengths, or take full-lengths under less-than-optimal conditions, and still excel on the MCAT just because they did a thorough job reviewing the practice they did complete. To get the most out of the review process, try to do the following:

- Spend at least as much time reviewing the exam as you did taking it (so, at least 7 hours). If you need even more time, that's fine! The most important thing is that you do not rush this process.

- Review questions that you answered correctly as well as ones you got wrong. This way, you don't neglect to review any questions where you may have guessed correctly simply due to chance. And even if you got a question right and think you understand why, be sure to check the explanation to see if it matches your mental explanation of your answer choice. You may find a flaw in your own reasoning, or you might discover an alternative way to solve the problem (which could be faster or more intuitive).

- Don't skip past your "stupid mistakes"! Virtually any MCAT tutor will tell you that a very common student problem involves students neglecting to analyze questions that they missed due to small/silly errors. Often, a student will see one of these questions and say to themselves "Wow, that was stupid! I won't make that mistake in the future," then move on right away. Instead, you should stop and think why you made this error, and make a conscious written note of it. This way, you'll avoid the all-too-common trap of making the exact same minor errors over and over and over.

With regard to your psychology class, the answer depends on whether you are in the process of MCAT prep now. If you are, I recommend trying to tie your MCAT studying into your psych class materials whenever possible. When you see each concept in your MCAT prep book / video, go beneath the surface and ask yourself questions: is the concept presented similarly in your class, or is it described in a different way? Does your psych class give any good examples that can help solidify your MCAT knowledge? etc.

Good luck and let us know if we can help answer anything else! :)

Where does one even begin? I've tried to study on my own but I am missing a lot of pieces. What do you suggest to someone who is 18 months away and hasn't yet encountered some of the material?

Honestly, my plan to prep for the MCAT will be to practice as much as possible and seek for every opportunity that I can reach out to in addition to trying my best and knowing that I am giving it my best.

For me it is kind of hard. I am looking at taking the test in the spring of 2019. But I really want to get a head stat with studying for the test, so that I can score high on it. But where do you even begin? I still haven't taken physics or orgo yet, but I will be taking those classes next semester. When is too early to start prepping for the exam? I'm most interested in taking a MCAT prep course either online or in person.

Thanks!

I’m looking at taking the MCAT in early may 2018 and I was originally planning to start studying in a couple of weeks. I just got a couple of volunteer and research opportunities so I don’t think I have the time to start now. Will I still be able to adequately prepare if I start studying 10 hrs a week starting in early January?

As a future mcat re-taker, I am wondering what would be the best way to ensure I do my best on the next exam. Maybe spacing out my study will help rather than chunking it all in at once. Does NextStep prep offer strategy courses for the mcat, where we receive advice how to prep according to our mcat learning style?

Also a cool raffle prize! One of my questions for next step prep is about the types of guarantees you offer. If I work with a tutor or take a test prep course, do you offer an guarantee that I will do well on the MCAT? If I don't, can I continue working with you until I do?

Also a cool raffle prize! One of my questions for next step prep is about the types of guarantees you offer. If I work with a tutor or take a test prep course, do you offer an guarantee that I will do well on the MCAT? If I don't, can I continue working with you until I do?

Hi @sehnsucht93! This is a really good question. We absolutely do offer guarantees for both our online prep course and our one-on-one tutoring.

For our online course, we have two guarantee policies: our Score Guarantee and our Instructor Guarantee.

Score Guarantee: Enrollment in the Next Step MCAT Course typically provides full access for 6 months. Under this guarantee, if you do not perform as well as you want on the MCAT, or if you do not feel ready at the end of the 6 months for any reason, you qualify for a 6-month extension - essentially, a "repeat" of the course. Alternatively, if you take the MCAT and do not improve from your previous score (either a previous official MCAT score or, if you have not taken the MCAT, your score on our diagnostic exam), you qualify for a full refund of course tuition.

Instructor Guarantee: Every MCAT expert that you interact with while taking the MCAT course is guaranteed to have 1) a score at the 98th percentile or above on the official MCAT, 2) 4 or more years of teaching experience, 3) universally good student reviews/testimonials, and 4) worked as a member of our content development team, meaning that the instructors who teach you actually developed the course materials.

For online tutoring, we have a comprehensive guarantee policy outlined here: https://nextsteptestprep.com/your-success-is-guaranteed/

Let us know anytime if we can provide any additional help :)

One of the biggest concerns I face as I prepare to retake the MCAT is the fact that I do not have new representative materials to use. I used a lot of them during my first prep period. @NextStepTutor_1 how would you suggest going about this and ensuring I get a solid score? Should I be re-using materials? Is Next Step releasing new practice exams for the 2018 exams?

Can videos be downloaded to watch during commutes?

One of the biggest concerns I face as I prepare to retake the MCAT is the fact that I do not have new representative materials to use. I used a lot of them during my first prep period. @NextStepTutor_1 how would you suggest going about this and ensuring I get a solid score? Should I be re-using materials? Is Next Step releasing new practice exams for the 2018 exams?

Hi @mariposas905! I think a lot of students share this concern. I'm assuming you used most of your AAMC materials already, and that is your main concern? Or did you also already use a lot of third-party exams (like Next Step practice tests)? Either way, here's what I recommend:

- First, plan to use absolutely any AAMC materials you have left. Even if you already took the scored and sample tests, there's still the Section Bank and QPacks. And even if you used those already as well, lots of students overlook the AAMC Official Guide questions, which provide practice equivalent to half of one exam. If you already used 100% of your AAMC resources, I absolutely recommend planning to reuse them, especially the Section Bank.

- Next, remember that the AAMC will release a practice exam this fall (although the exact release date isn't known). Treasure this exam! Plan to use it as a score gauge very close to your actual exam date.

- Research third-party exams. At Next Step, we have released 10 practice exams in total. We do not currently have plans to release additional exams, but we do revise our tests constantly in response to student feedback, and have had at least one large revision (where 10% or more of our passages have been replaced with practice that better matched our up-to-date information about the current test) per year. If you have not already taken these exams, I definitely recommend trying them out.

- Finally, don't be afraid to retake! I especially saw this problem a lot back in early 2015, where extremely little practice material for the "new" test had been released. Students were nervous about retaking practice they had already completed, so they turned to less representative sources or even did less practice than they would have liked. I understand that retaking the same test you have taken before does not provide an entirely accurate score assessment, but it still can be a fantastic tool! In particular, pay attention to any questions you missed both times you took the exam, as these can give you great information about the traps you tend to fall into and the review that may have not entirely "stuck" the first time around.

I plan on taking the MCAT in January 2018. I have started the slow roll of getting into a plan of how to go about the exam. I have read numerous posts that for the most part separate studying for the exam into 2 parts, content review and practice passages. Does your program emphasize one of these areas over the other? Or do you find that there may be another aspect as well that you touch on as the most important thing to look at?

I plan on taking the MCAT in January 2018. I have started the slow roll of getting into a plan of how to go about the exam. I have read numerous posts that for the most part separate studying for the exam into 2 parts, content review and practice passages. Does your program emphasize one of these areas over the other? Or do you find that there may be another aspect as well that you touch on as the most important thing to look at?

Hi, great question! Glad to hear that you're starting to think about how you'll be preparing. Both content review and test-like practice are essential parts of MCAT prep, so our online course focuses on both approximately equally. For instance, our 20 core lesson videos are approximately half content and half strategy/reasoning. The course also provides an individualized study plan which includes both content and strategy/passage practice. This way, students who are just starting out get the mix they need without having to do a lot of planning on their own.

Of course, you may later find that you need one of these elements more than the other - for example, if you realize that your content foundation is especially strong or weak. To account for this, we've made sure that we include plenty of additional resources to fully account for any possible needs. For example, course access includes over 100 "Content Review Videos," each covering a specific high-yield or difficult MCAT topic. This way, if you find that your content foundation needs more shoring up than you expected, you have an extensive go-to resource.

As far as other components go, you may already be implying this with your mention of practice passages, but a huge component of MCAT preparation is taking full-length practice exams and reviewing them. One factor that I think sets our program apart from others is our heavy focus on practice exam review. We introduce its importance from the very first lesson (in a discussion of how to review), and each student's study plan includes dedicated time for full-length review. We've also filmed a video for each passage from all of the AAMC's currently available exams, so if you take an AAMC practice test and struggle with a particular passage, you can watch how our top course instructors would reason through it. For full-length practice, along with the three AAMC exams, the course includes access to all 10 of our available practice exams.

Let us know if we can help in any other way :) and good luck!

Can videos be downloaded to watch during commutes?
Hi there! Unfortunately, our videos cannot be downloaded due to security/sharing concerns. However, the course does include all 11 of Next Step's MCAT books in physical form, and students have the option to also receive these books as Adobe ebooks. So you can access all of your books on the go without carrying 11 books around.

Let us know if we can help with anything else :)

As a future mcat re-taker, I am wondering what would be the best way to ensure I do my best on the next exam. Maybe spacing out my study will help rather than chunking it all in at once. Does NextStep prep offer strategy courses for the mcat, where we receive advice how to prep according to our mcat learning style?

Hi @amaris4you! Absolutely. As a company, our general MCAT philosophy is centered around the idea that each student has their own learning style, and finding ways to work synergistically with that style is better than trying to fit everyone into one particular strategy/method.

Our online MCAT course can be as content- or strategy-focused as you like. Since you sound like you are more interested in strategy work, you might benefit from our Express Course option, which provides a plan that is very strategy- and practice-heavy. Students in our course can also attend our small-group office hour sessions up to 5 times per week. While we technically have a maximum of 30 students per office hour session, our average attendance is much lower - more like 1-5 students. These sessions, then, are a great way to get strategy feedback as you work through passages along with the course instructor.

Alternatively, of course, you may want to consider one-on-one tutoring, where you can be matched with someone who fits your needs and is invested in learning as much as they can about your learning style, strengths/weaknesses, and common mistakes.

Good luck! :)

I’m looking at taking the MCAT in early may 2018 and I was originally planning to start studying in a couple of weeks. I just got a couple of volunteer and research opportunities so I don’t think I have the time to start now. Will I still be able to adequately prepare if I start studying 10 hrs a week starting in early January?

Hi there! This is a really good question, and the answer depends on a number of factors - how you budget your time, your pre-existing content foundation, etc. I can certainly give you a general answer, though. The most typical recommendation, which you may have heard, is to spend about 300 hours preparing for the MCAT. Some sources recommend more, and some less. If you begin to prep in early January and take the exam in early May, you'll have about 190-200 hours if you spend 10 hours per week on MCAT work.

That being said, I have seen many students spend this amount of time or less and excel on the MCAT. To do this, though, you'll need to budget your time very carefully. I strongly recommend either developing an MCAT study plan on your own well ahead of when you plan to start, or using an option that takes care of planning for you (like a tutor or prep course). Otherwise, you risk falling into the MCAT student trap of spending valuable time planning, changing your schedule, second-guessing what you do each day, etc. I often say that students on a limited time budget have time to study or have time to plan, but usually not both at once.

The other thing to be aware of is the large amount of time required for practice exams and review. With proper focus, you can get a lot of content review or passage practice out of the way in 10 hours per week. You cannot, however, take a full-length practice exam (~7 hours) and thoroughly review it (ideally, 7 hours or more) in that amount of time. Make sure to plan for this in advance - ideally by selecting some weeks where you'll be able to fit in more study time. Alternatively, you can take fewer full-length tests and replace them with more frequent timed sections, but you'll want to make sure you complete at least some full-lengths for the sake of endurance practice and score prediction ("seeing where you're at").

Good luck and let me know anytime if you have additional questions :)

A friend who recently took the test highly recommended your FLs and passage-based books.
I hope I am the lucky winner of the raffle!
My biggest concern for the test is the C/P section.
I am planning on honing on content during the fall and take the test during March of 2018.
My question is: Does NS has a schedule to self-study if you buy the books?
Thank you in advance for your time!
Best of luck to everybody taking the test and participating in the raffles.
Happy Test Prep Week

Good luck to you in the raffle as well! Regarding the MCAT, it sounds like you plan on giving yourself plenty of time, which is great. If your biggest concern is the C/P section, my #1 recommendation is to do frequent passage practice (and very thorough review). I've seen too many students who have concerns about C/P and spend tons of time mastering the content, but neglect passage/reasoning practice. Instead, try to test your mastery of each topic with questions or passages whenever possible. One of the most difficult aspects of the C/P section is the way in which it presents content (often in a dense, research-style, biologically-relevant fashion - very different from the straightforward way it would be presented in a chemistry or physics textbook), so getting accustomed to that is vital.

We don't currently have a self-study schedule for students who purchase our books, but we do provide an individualized study plan for each student who enrolls in either our online course or one-on-one tutoring. If you want tips on setting up a schedule, though, just PM me and I would be very happy to help :)

Where does one even begin? I've tried to study on my own but I am missing a lot of pieces. What do you suggest to someone who is 18 months away and hasn't yet encountered some of the material?

This is another great question - thanks for asking it! If you are still 18 months away, my main recommendation is to not do too much related to MCAT prep quite yet. The average MCAT student spends about 2-3 months of dedicated prep time, and the longest I would recommend for an MCAT prep timeline (with some exceptions) is around 6 months. Trying to spread MCAT prep out over more than 6 months tends to lead to burnout or inefficiency ("I have all this time, so let me memorize every tiny little detail in each book..." - which might sound good at first glance, but isn't the best use of time and can lead to misunderstanding what the MCAT actually requires from students).

With that being said, there absolutely are things you can start doing now to maximize your chances of success. Here's what I recommend:

- Read every day. You've probably heard this before, but I say it again because it is unbelievably important. Reading even just 1 or 2 academic journal articles per week - and trying to fully understand them - will help you enormously when it comes to tackling MCAT passages. And it doesn't need to be academic; reading news articles, novels, or other sources is helpful too.

- Focus on the fundamentals in your classes. If you are in college, you're probably taking or planning to take classes that cover MCAT material. College course often reward memorization of facts or intense calculation (think biochemistry and physics courses, respectively), but the MCAT is very different - it tests fundamentals above all else. (On this note, I always tell students that on a typical MCAT, they can get more questions right with a thorough understanding of hydrogen bonding than with a knowledge of the intricacies of electrochemical cells.) In each MCAT-relevant college course, be sure to question yourself constantly: "Why does this process occur?" "How are these concepts related?" etc. Most students enter into MCAT preparation having forgotten most of the details of their classes, but if you remember the foundational ideas, you'll be in an awesome starting place.

- Make yourself an informed MCAT student. (You seem like you're on track to do this already.) Try to gain various perspectives from friends, online sources, etc. regarding the MCAT experience and how they prepared. Too many students only begin to think about this right before starting their prep, and this forces them to rely on the opinions of a few random friends or anecdotes. Those students often succeed anyway, but you give yourself the best possible chance by exposing yourself to the largest amount of information possible.

Once you do decide to begin your prep, if you'd like to get a feel for the exam, I'd encourage making a free Next Step practice bundle account here: Free Practice Bundle. This account will never expire and includes a free diagnostic, free full-length, and (possibly even more helpful at an early stage) select videos and other resources.

Best of luck to you! :)

My biggest concern about taking this test is dealing with test taking anxiety!! Advice?

Thank you!!! That really helped! I tremendously appreciate your response.

I am planning to approach the test again...but this time, only with practice and brief review of content. Plus more practice with pacing. As per standard SDN wisdom, this should help me do better!

Hey @NextStepTutor_1! I figured I would ask. When will the winner of the drawing be chosen? I feel like a little kid waiting to open a present (maybe mine will contain something) :laugh:

Hey @NextStepTutor_1! I figured I would ask. When will the winner of the drawing be chosen? I feel like a little kid waiting to open a present (maybe mine will contain something) :laugh:

Hi @DPTinthemaking15! I apologize for the delayed response - we were waiting for the great people at SDN to get back to us. They will be choosing the winner of this raffle and will gather any contact information, then pass it along to us to give away the free course :)

So if you are the winner, you should hear within the next week! Please check back anytime if you are unsure about anything. Good luck, and have a wonderful weekend!

Hi @DPTinthemaking15! I apologize for the delayed response - we were waiting for the great people at SDN to get back to us. They will be choosing the winner of this raffle and will gather any contact information, then pass it along to us to give away the free course :)

So if you are the winner, you should hear within the next week! Please check back anytime if you are unsure about anything. Good luck, and have a wonderful weekend!
Great! Thank you for the response. Have a great week.