Entering Classes into AMCAS application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Falconclaw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I switched majors, and as a result will graduate in five years instead of four. When I enter classes into the AMCAS application, should I consider this past year my senior year, because it's my fourth year in school, or my junior year, since I still have a year left? Thanks, sorry if this has been asked before.

Members don't see this ad.

Read the AMCAS instruction manual. It tells you exactly how to break up the years.

Reactions: 1 user
Read the AMCAS instruction manual. It tells you exactly how to break up the years.
Alright, thanks.
Another question. I took some college classes when I was in high school. I didn't take them particularly seriously at the time, and did fairly poorly. Will the fact that I took them in high school somehow cushion the blow of this? When med schools look at your GPA, is it the calculated GPA of every class you ever took, or do they pay attention to the GPA per institution?

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, thanks.
Another question. I took some college classes when I was in high school. I didn't take them particularly seriously at the time, and did fairly poorly. Will the fact that I took them in high school somehow cushion the blow of this? When med schools look at your GPA, is it the calculated GPA of every class you ever took, or do they pay attention to the GPA per institution?

The college classes from high school will be grouped with your freshman year of college. It's fine if that first year is a bit low and you demonstrate an upward trend. The GPAs that we see are your total GPA, science GPA, and AO GPA, broken down by year in school as well as the average overall. They will not calculate your GPA per institution.

The college classes from high school will be grouped with your freshman year of college. It's fine if that first year is a bit low and you demonstrate an upward trend. The GPAs that we see are your total GPA, science GPA, and AO GPA, broken down by year in school as well as the average overall. They will not calculate your GPA per institution.
Okay, thanks. It's basically outrageously low (all the classes averaged together are a 2.5) but it is what it is. What does AO GPA stand for?

i just read that and so if you took courses at a community college for 3 years you'd still consider yourself a junior for the third year even though it's technically a 2 year institution? that's confusing.

i just read that and so if you took courses at a community college for 3 years you'd still consider yourself a junior for the third year even though it's technically a 2 year institution? that's confusing.

For AMCAS purposes, your year in school is based solely on the number of credits you have.

For AMCAS purposes, your year in school is based solely on the number of credits you have.

Fair enough, the amcas says credit hours would it be fair to say that credit hours = the number of credits each course is, even if it's on the quarter system?

Fair enough, the amcas says credit hours would it be fair to say that credit hours = the number of credits each course is, even if it's on the quarter system?

"Indicate your credit hours or units exactly as they appear on your transcript"