Entering MSW Program, still want to do med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thelatestbloomer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just turned 25, and I will be entering a MSW program in the Fall. I will be doing medical social work (oncology) specifically. With that being said, when I applied for the program, I thought I would be happy just doing this, but the urges/calling towards med school still bugs me.

I'm working in a clinic now, doing psych evaluations, and I really enjoy it, but I want to do more. I want the compassionate care I give my patients during the psych evaluations to extend to the actual appointment...with me, if that makes sense.

I had always planned to do a Masters before considering professional school just because I wanted to strengthen up my GPA and prepare myself for the rigor. But now I'm feeling like I am making an expensive mistake (even though I do want the MSW?!) and will just be making getting to med school after more difficult for me.

The school I will be attending has it's own post-bacc program, and I was told that people who are already students like myself can finesse their way into other programs. I have 4 pre-reqs that I need to complete - I already have some math and science, due to my undergrad major.

Anyone have any advice for me? Should I try and add on these remaining courses while I finish my MSW? like, in the summer or something. Should I just finish and then do a post-bacc in full for a year after? If I do, I'll be 28 when I start med school, at the earliest, and I'll feel so old and in debt, lol.

I know you guys can't read my mind! But any advice, or personal experience would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

If you truly want to go to medical school I don't see the point in the MSW.
Depending on the degree to which your GPA needs "strengthening," you can do a DIY post-bacc instead by taking the pre-reqs you need over the next semester or two, continue (and diversify, if needed) your ECs, take the MCAT in the spring, and apply next cycle. Starting medical school at 28 is certainly not too old anyway, but you can probably start sooner and definitely can lessen your debt by skipping a master's degree that doesn't mesh with your long-term plan.

Don't spend the money and time on a MSW if you don't intend to pursue social work (or at least get your license, which would add a few years). It's not a degree that will 'prove your worth', or strengthen the numbers in your application, and it would be quite expensive as a stepping stone.

Getting/keeping a job and taking coursework (2/semester for 1 year), taking the MCAT, and applying earlier would offer you a bigger boost (since the postbac undergrad coursework will be included with your old coursework -- unlike MS courses), provide a better refresher for the MCAT, be substantially cheaper, and enable you to continue gaining valuable clinical experience.