Entering Shadow Experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Katatonic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are the 15 slots for experiences/opportunities, so when I go to enter say, 3 different shadowed physicians, that would be 3 different spots, or do you just list 1 "shadowed physicians" EC? And do you actually explain the EC's at that point or is just a simple one-liner that's entered?

Members don't see this ad.

I know there are the 15 slots for experiences/opportunities, so when I go to enter say, 3 different shadowed physicians, that would be 3 different spots, or do you just list 1 "shadowed physicians" EC? And do you actually explain the EC's at that point or is just a simple one-liner that's entered?

From what I heard you're suppose to enter it in one spot (choosing OTHERS as the category) and least all the the shadowing experiences you had there. Check the thread they have about EC with LizzyM:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=202513

I entered as 3 different, because each one was unique for me, but it's up to you to do whatever. If you're running out of space, group them into one.

Members don't see this ad :)
I entered as 3 different, because each one was unique for me, but it's up to you to do whatever. If you're running out of space, group them into one.

Haha, I wish that was my problem. :D

I entered all my shadowing experiences in one category. I think it would be okay to enter them separately, but it seems a bit odd that one fifth of your extracurricular preparation for medical school is taken up by shadowing. Don't you have anything better to fill those spaces with? Also, its getting rather late for the AMCAS for this round, so if you're struggling to fill the 15 spaces AND you're being complete late, it may be better to wait a year and beef up your application and get it in first thing next summer.

I think it should depend if you took different things away from each experience. I have two extensive shadowing experiences and each would need its own space on AMCAS.