Should this be labeled as clinical experience or shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zukosnips

Reaction score
So I initially started shadowing a plastic surgeon. However, over these past couple of weeks, I’ve been helping them with minor procedures in clinic like retrieving gauze, help tape removal on stitches, place a vibrating beauty bar on patients faces during Botox/filler, suctioning smoke from patients breast and face during laser CO2 procedure, scrubbing in the OR, etc… Heck I’ve even been making flyers for them lol. This experience has superseded my expectations and I truly look forward to attending the clinic and I’ve been commiting a lot of hours (70+) over 4 weeks. I’ll be there for 2-3 more weeks before I move out to college and I’ve been considering classifying this experience as clinical (volunteering) rather than shadowing. I will talk with the Dr about it before I proceed but from what I’ve gathered, they would be more than fine with it. Anyways, is it fine if I classify as clinical experience assuming it counts? Also will med schools understand and be fine with me doing this for only 2 months (120 hours total) because I start school lol and during June/July I was doing a clinical research internship out of state.

Members don't see this ad.

You can also list your initial time there separately as shadowing, then the number of hours you spent actually being a helper as clinical volunteering.
I think that this is the best approach as too many shadowing hours are not a good look (why did you spend so much time watching when you could be doing something else?), and the other stuff really is clinical volunteering and more "hands on" than many other clinical volunteer activities.

Reactions: 1 users
I think that this is the best approach as too many shadowing hours are not a good look (why did you spend so much time watching when you could be doing something else?), and the other stuff really is clinical volunteering and more "hands on" than many other clinical volunteer activities.
Gotcha ok! I already have 70 hours across 3 specialties anyways so that’s why I may split it or have the whole experience be clinical volunteering. I do at least one hands on procedure/assistance on the days I’m there anyways

Members don't see this ad :)
Just out of curiosity, if you got 100 hours shadowing someone, would it be okay to minimize the amount of hours you obtained (say to like 60-70 hours instead)?

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, if you got 100 hours shadowing someone, would it be advised or unethical to minimize the amount of hours you obtained (say to like 60-70 hours instead)?
Your hours are what they are, don't start down the path of being less than honest on your applications.
I notice most of your questions are similar, "does this look good?" or "is this enough?"
When are you planing to apply to medical school?

Your hours are what they are, don't start down the path of being less than honest on your applications.
I notice most of your questions are similar, "does this look good?" or "is this enough?"

The Work & Activity section need not be all inclusive and, in fact, applicants must be parsimonious in what they include given that there are only 15 slots. If someone wants to choose not to report 25 hours of shadowing a derm and a plastic surgeon and just report shadowing a pediatrician and a bariatric surgeon, there is nothing "dishonest" about that.

Reactions: 2 users
The Work & Activity section need not be all inclusive and, in fact, applicants must be parsimonious in what they include given that there are only 15 slots. If someone wants to choose not to report 25 hours of shadowing a derm and a plastic surgeon and just report shadowing a pediatrician and a bariatric surgeon, there is nothing "dishonest" about that.
Good point. You don't have to put every job you had in your life on the application, if you don't feel it adds to the picture of you.
I was put off by the wording of this question. There are other questions on the application one must always answer though.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for the response. I still got a few years until I intend to apply, so I'm not worried about obtaining the hours I need before then, I just want to know what is advised so I can pursue my dream. I have no intention of ever being dishonest, I'm just a bit neurotic lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user