SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Entering this fall

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by the dog, Apr 15, 2000.

1. the dog

the dog Junior Member

Apr 14, 2000
    I'm entering med school this fall and I wanted to do a little prep this summer before I start, so I was wondering what any of you thought of the "Anatomy/Physiology/Biochemistry, etc. Made Ridiculously Simple" line of books. Likewise-the anatomy/physiology coloring books. It seems as though they would be a good intro to these courses. Any thoughts? Which of these books are the best? Thanks.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Mayqswet

Mayqswet Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jun 9, 1999
    Mr, Mrs or Ms. Dog,

Most eveyone I've talked with says to review anatomy and biochem if you have a chance. The anatomy is especially important if you're going to a DO school.

I just picked up a copy of the Anatomy Made Ridicusously Simple toady at Barnes & Noble. I love they way he explains things. Hopefully it'll help me when I also start this fall.

Good luck wherever you're going.

AZCOM - bound

4. Future DOc

Future DOc Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 30, 1999
    Go into a medical school bookstore & look into a First Aid for USMLE Step 1 book. I wouldn't recommend buying it just yet as the editions change yearly & you would rather get the edition the year you will taking boards.

Anyhow, the First Aid has grades for a lot of books out there & they are very useful during your basic science years. I would recommend doing that than spending a lot of money on textbooks...most of which you will not use very much. For example, Lippincott Pharm & Biochem for your pharmocology & biochem courses, Schneider BRS Pathology for your path class, Medical Micro Made Ridiculously Simple for micro, etc... These are just some examples, but whatever works for you to get an edge go for it!!! Good luck y'all!!! [​IMG]

"What's up, Phillip!!!!" Good luck in your first year!!! [​IMG]

WesternU/COMP MS II
  5. OldManDave

OldManDave Fossil Bouncer Emeritus Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Feb 26, 1999
    Lafayette, IN
    Just a handy bit of advice...take your last summer off and enjoy doing those things that you pleasure-reading, traveling, sleeping late, lazy days of doing NOTHING and other such luxuries that wil, if not end, be severely cut-back. Med school is great and I cont to love it; however, it is incredibly busy. Your time is no longer your own. So, kick-back and relax!! The rigors of med school will begin soon enough.

Besides, no matter how much your study this summer, you won't be ahead of the game long. Med school has this funny tendancy of leveling the playing field no matter how huge an intellectual giant you are!

Have a fun summer!!

'Old Man Dave'
    KCOM, Class of '03

Nothing Risked, Nothing Gained!!
  6. Hskermdic

Hskermdic Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 17, 1998
    Don't study this summer. Enjoy yourself and spend time visiting family and friends because you may not have the time to for the next several years and even if you do have the time to visit them you may be too darn tired to enjoy it.

KCOM '03
  7. ewagner

ewagner Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 22, 1998
    Why in the hell would you want to study this summer??
    You have no real idea what the curriculum will be like, and studying now could be a waste of your time and money. Enjoy yourself now while you can. And certainly don't get first aid for the USMLE about overkill!
  8. togo

togo Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Sep 2, 1999
    ditto to the last three.