Enthalpy and Temperature

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fastnfurious

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is going to sound like a stupid question, but I always thought endothermic reactions meant the solution temperature increased because heat was being absorbed. Can anybody tell me why endothermic reactions cool down?

I think the reason why I got confused was b/c when you Melt Ice cubes to water, that's considered endothermic, yet the water did not cool down in temperature. Can anyone explain this?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is going to sound like a stupid question, but I always thought endothermic reactions meant the solution temperature increased because heat was being absorbed. Can anybody tell me why endothermic reactions cool down?

I think the reason why I got confused was b/c when you Melt Ice cubes to water, that's considered endothermic, yet the water did not cool down in temperature. Can anyone explain this?
As the ice melts, it undergoes a phase change. During a phase change the temperature of the compound remains constant; in case of ice melting, the temperature remains at 0 degrees. The reason for this is that the heat being supplied is being used to break the intermolecular bonds that hold the molecules in a rigid structure. Once all the bonds are broken, the heat next increases the kinetic energy of the molecules and temperature rises. We can see this relation by the equation KE=1.5RT.

Hopefully that answered your question