Enthalpy: endo and exo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osimsDDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this correct:

Breaking of bonds is an endothermic reaction where energy is required ( in the form of heat ) so heat is absorbed by the reaction.

Making bonds doesnt require energy so therefore it is exothermic and heat is given off from the reaction to the surroundings...from the system to the surroundings...

thanks...this stuff always messes with me so i wanted to get it straight!

Members don't see this ad.

ya i like to think of ice when dealing with this

when ice is melted bonds break....and when this happens heat is absorbed so its endothermic

however when ice is made bonds are made.....so it is exothermic bec heat is being released

htats how i keep it straight if this is wrong im gonna go crazzyyy

Yea osims, you're correct and all the suggestions are real helpful. It took me a while to get it straight too until my Inorganic prof explained it to me in real simple terms. When you form a bond, it is stable, more so than the two molecules that were flying around individually. So when something is more stable, it is at a lower energy state than when it was not bonded.

Thus, to form a bond, which is a stable and lower energy state than before, it must give off energy and is therefore exothermic. It's not so much that making bonds doesn't require energy, it's more the energy state before and after making the bond.

I know that sounds confusing...but for some strange reason it made sense to me and I didn't forget it after that. But the ice thing works too....lol :)

Members don't see this ad :)
another thing u should note is that........what happens to enthalpy and entropy when going from solid to gas or liquid to solid....

the way i have it down is knowing the phase diagram i know its stupid but it works for me....I am POSITIVELY sure when looking at the phase diagram it is going from S to L to G so both delta H and S is POSITIVE

however if it is going OPPOSITE G to L to S delta H and S is OPPOSITE of POSITIVE so both delth H and S is neg

hope that helps

the way i remember that endothermic reactions result in positive enthalpy change is when ever i see enthalpy or change in H i say to myself "END on a POSITIVE note"