1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Hey, Guest, do you know how much will it cost you to apply to medical school? Check out SDN's Medical School Application Cost Calculator and plan your budget.

Enthalpy

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by Gundam00, Sep 22, 2014.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Gundam00

Gundam00 2+ Year Member

Jul 7, 2012
    What is the standard enthalpy of formation of white phosphorus from red phosphorus?

ΔH-formation of oxide: -2900 kJ mol-1(red), -3020 kJ mol-1(white)

This is from GS2 test.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. justadream

justadream 5+ Year Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Isn't it just products - reactants?

4. tdod

tdod 5+ Year Member

Oct 30, 2011
    ∆H(white) – ∆H(reactants) = -3020 – -2900 = -120

∆ is always [final - initial], or in this case [products - reactants]. This question is about Hess's law, which is easy to understand if thought of in terms of height. ∆H(formation) is the absolute height from the ground, but ∆H(rxn) is just the distance between two points.Think of white phosphorous as the top of the empire state building; it is 3020 feet tall; it's formation releases 3020 kJ of heat. Think of red phosphorous as the third-to-last story of the empire state building; it is 2900 feet tall its formation releases 3020 kJ of heat. The distance (∆H) between the two points is 120; when going from red to white, 120 kJ must be released.

i hope that helps.

Gundam00 likes this.
  5. Gundam00

Gundam00 2+ Year Member

Jul 7, 2012

Hey thanks thats what i figured. But the answer choices do not list -120 as a possible answer but the explanation does have -120 that is why i was a little confused