entomology research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freedom88

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am a freshman doing research in the enotomology dept (identifying developmentally regulated genes in mosquitoes). the research has gone well this year and my mentor has offered me an oppertunity to continue next school year, as well as, mentioned the potential of publishing a paper in couple of years (if i keep it up). my question is this: should i (1) continue in the entomology dept since i am already established and there seems to be future potential, or (2) decline the offer in hopes of attaining a research position more directly related to a biomedical field (perhaps one that I am more interested in)?

Members don't see this ad.

Considering the number of people killed every year by malaria, or made ill by other mosquito-bourne illnesses, I'd consider any research that might impact the control of these insects to have biomedical implications. In my opinion, you should stick with what you're doing. It sounds interesting and will be unique.

Considering the number of people killed every year by malaria, or made ill by other mosquito-bourne illnesses, I'd consider any research that might impact the control of these insects to have biomedical implications. In my opinion, you should stick with what you're doing. It sounds interesting and will be unique.

Agreed. I think mosquito gene regulation definitely has major biomedical applications even if it is very basic science oriented at this stage. Honestly, any biological sciences research is impressive for med schools and genetics is definitely a biological science. It doesn't have to be human related at this stage by any means.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you enjoy the research? And do you think you can get a strong letter of recommendation from your research advisor? If so, stick with it. There is a lot of research in mosquitoes that is medically related or has major implications for medicine, especially Tropical Medicine/Microbiology/Infectious Diseases such as Malaria, Yellow Fever, Dengue Fever, Encephalitis....

thanks so much for your opinions/suggestions

hmm... i thought entomology was the study of ents....:confused:

hahaha lord of the rings reference. stick with it if it pleases you and you can turn it into a sweet rec letter but from my experience i did entomology research on leaf beetles for 5 months, diabetes research for a summer, cancer research for a summer, and infectious disease research for a summer and while the other research opps/experiences came up in interview Qs, the leaf beetles (tho on my AMCAS prominently) were never even alluded to.

don't do it if you hate it, but don't quit it because you don't think it will look "good enough" because it's fine