Is just getting a research assistant program okay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hunter the Bean

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I recently landed an interview for a summer term position as a research assistant for an entomology lab. I have only done a small part in a public health research project (it had no laboratory work, and the majority of the work was done through making calls and reporting on a google doc), and I really got excited with this research assistant program since I would actually work in a lab environment. However, I am on pre-med, and I am wondering whether it is worth working in this research lab through the summer if I don't want to do anything remotely near entomology in the long-run. I am a freshman right now, so I think I'll have time to find other research positions; I just wanted to have an early start and have a lot of research experience before applying to medical school.

Thank in advance to anyone who answers!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah this is a good start! Good luck! My general advice to make connections and try to build this connection throughout your career. It can be difficult switching labs as you need to get to know the PI and how the lab works. I've been working in my lab since freshman year so have fun!

Reactions: 1 user