Envision screwing doctors again!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Someone I know made a comparison of "Eminem" to "Bob Dylan"; making a similar claim that Eminem is as gifted of a wordsmith as Dylan was/is.
A small part of me died inside, at that very instant.

Dylan never cursed or used other verboten words unless he was trying to illustrate a point.
Eminem uses profanity because its profane.
Once upon a time, eloquence carried responsibility and erudition.
Now, its just "who can scream the N-word louder and more often."

Right, but that's a totally uninteresting comparison, since no one with any semblance of taste would take Eminem so seriously. I realize this is an EM forum and not the Village Voice, but I think it's reasonable to point this out.

Now, there are 24yo kids in LA that are as gifted a lyricist as Dylan. Those are interesting comparisons, if you know where to look.
 
Right, but that's a totally uninteresting comparison, since no one with any semblance of taste would take Eminem so seriously. I realize this is an EM forum and not the Village Voice, but I think it's reasonable to point this out.

Now, there are 24yo kids in LA that are as gifted a lyricist as Dylan. Those are interesting comparisons, if you know where to look.

Great post.
You're right; when I was in undergrad, there was (and still is, I'm sure) a guy by the name of Dan Bern that sounds a LOT like Dylan, from tone to song structure to actually thought-provoking lyrics. I actually made a total boob out of myself by saying (after hearing two Dan Bern songs on the stereo) "What Dylan tracks are THESE?!" to a gal in undergrad that I was "keen" on (I hate that adjective, but it works for this situation because it makes me a loser.)

Interesting sidebar (maybe?)
I bought a cheapie yamaha acoustic about four years back. I have a beautiful Alvarez and an Epiphone that sound very nice.
Wife said to me: "Why would you buy THIS junk when you have such beautiful guitars?"
I replied with: "Because this one has *bite*. Neil Young would grab this one and bash it while shaking his fist at the sky. The WHOLE THING is CORRUPT! We're ALL damned!"

She got it.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Someone I know made a comparison of "Eminem" to "Bob Dylan"; making a similar claim that Eminem is as gifted of a wordsmith as Dylan was/is.
A small part of me died inside, at that very instant.

Dylan never cursed or used other verboten words unless he was trying to illustrate a point.
Eminem uses profanity because its profane.
Once upon a time, eloquence carried responsibility and erudition.
Now, its just "who can scream the N-word louder and more often."
His willingness to always be THAT profane is part of his “point” and he doesn’t use the n-word

agreed in general with a lot of people that call themselves artists today, but eminen really is on a different level than most rappers