Envision screwing doctors again!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Someone I know made a comparison of "Eminem" to "Bob Dylan"; making a similar claim that Eminem is as gifted of a wordsmith as Dylan was/is.
A small part of me died inside, at that very instant.

Dylan never cursed or used other verboten words unless he was trying to illustrate a point.
Eminem uses profanity because its profane.
Once upon a time, eloquence carried responsibility and erudition.
Now, its just "who can scream the N-word louder and more often."

Right, but that's a totally uninteresting comparison, since no one with any semblance of taste would take Eminem so seriously. I realize this is an EM forum and not the Village Voice, but I think it's reasonable to point this out.

Now, there are 24yo kids in LA that are as gifted a lyricist as Dylan. Those are interesting comparisons, if you know where to look.

Members don't see this ad.

Right, but that's a totally uninteresting comparison, since no one with any semblance of taste would take Eminem so seriously. I realize this is an EM forum and not the Village Voice, but I think it's reasonable to point this out.

Now, there are 24yo kids in LA that are as gifted a lyricist as Dylan. Those are interesting comparisons, if you know where to look.

Great post.
You're right; when I was in undergrad, there was (and still is, I'm sure) a guy by the name of Dan Bern that sounds a LOT like Dylan, from tone to song structure to actually thought-provoking lyrics. I actually made a total boob out of myself by saying (after hearing two Dan Bern songs on the stereo) "What Dylan tracks are THESE?!" to a gal in undergrad that I was "keen" on (I hate that adjective, but it works for this situation because it makes me a loser.)

Interesting sidebar (maybe?)
I bought a cheapie yamaha acoustic about four years back. I have a beautiful Alvarez and an Epiphone that sound very nice.
Wife said to me: "Why would you buy THIS junk when you have such beautiful guitars?"
I replied with: "Because this one has *bite*. Neil Young would grab this one and bash it while shaking his fist at the sky. The WHOLE THING is CORRUPT! We're ALL damned!"

She got it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I threw a quarter in his hat.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Someone I know made a comparison of "Eminem" to "Bob Dylan"; making a similar claim that Eminem is as gifted of a wordsmith as Dylan was/is.
A small part of me died inside, at that very instant.

Dylan never cursed or used other verboten words unless he was trying to illustrate a point.
Eminem uses profanity because its profane.
Once upon a time, eloquence carried responsibility and erudition.
Now, its just "who can scream the N-word louder and more often."
His willingness to always be THAT profane is part of his “point” and he doesn’t use the n-word

agreed in general with a lot of people that call themselves artists today, but eminen really is on a different level than most rappers

Reactions: 3 users
Most attorneys make <$100k/year. It's only about 5% that make >$200k/year. I know because I once dated a med mal attorney. Sleeping with the enemy.

Depends on what you do and where. If you are willing to work, you can make >200k in Florida doing immigration defense.