SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Eosinophils/IgE - Type 2 vs Type 1 HS ?

Discussion in 'Step I' started by winsicle, Mar 29, 2007.

1. winsicle

winsicle Member 5+ Year Member

Dec 15, 2004
    I had a ? on Qbank about what type of HS reaction in Ascaris infection. The answer was Type 1.

I thought that invasive worms induce a Type 2 HS (cytotoxic reaction) wherein the eosinophil's IgE receptors bind to the organisms "IgE-like" surface ligands --> releasing MBP, etc. killing the organism.

What am I missing here?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Pinkertinkle

Pinkertinkle 2003 Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 16, 2003
    Isn't type II IgG mediated?
    When I hear IgE I pick type I HS.

4. leverp2000

leverp2000 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jun 11, 2004
    So the key is that Type II = antibody stimulating complement (IgG and IgM are the ones that do this). The reaction you described with IgE is not complement mediated. You should get the mast cell degranulation and release of histamine with a hellminth infection (immediate hypersensitivity), but the infection is frequently asymptomatic becasue the hellminth doesn't invade tissue all that often (it just crawls around and sometimes plugs up your bile duct).

5. winsicle

winsicle Member 5+ Year Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Hmm, looking at Goljan's RR (pg. 40/44-45) he describes IgE mediated type I AND II HS, so what's the deal here - is HE wrong or is QBank wrong?

and BTW he states the IgE-mediated type 2 reaction as Complement-independent

6. Taus

Taus . Moderator 10+ Year Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Philly
    you can have a type 2 using IgE-eosinophil killing (it doesn't need complement to make it a type 2...just an antibody to a cell).....but if the worm isn't "invasive" you won't get that mechanism and type 1 will predominate

7. GOGETA

GOGETA SuperSaiyan 2+ Year Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Elevated Eosinophils= cancer, asthma,parasites,allergies.ect.

Also remember that

Type 1 the mast cells well degranulate, and you will have high IgE

Type 2 The cell will say Hey dude inside of me there is a :thumbdown:, so kill me before its spreads.

I hope this helps

8. buddindoc

buddindoc Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Kerala,India or PA,USA
    Type 1 hsn rxn
    NAACP---true
    but...
    Also remember that ONLY
    INVASIVE HELMINTHS CAUSE INC IN EOSINOPHILS
    eg:strongy and hookworm
    NON INVASIVE...DONT INC EOSINOPHILS.
    eg: pinworm and adult ascaris

***larvae of ascaris invade and cause an increase of eos but the adult forms dont incvade.*****