EPIC Hyperspace: Difference between "OP Visit" and "Office Visit"

Aug 24, 2010
Queens, NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I frequently look through patient EMR's to find diagnoses and medications. The encounters titled "Office Visits" always have a writeup done by the physician that entails the major reason for the encounter, the patient's diagnoses, and other information. The encounters titled "OP Visits" give no information other than the name of the physician and the patient's demographics. What determines whether an encounter is to be labeled as one or the other?

glasshalfMD

40 weeks til MD?
Apr 27, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I frequently look through patient EMR's to find diagnoses and medications. The encounters titled "Office Visits" always have a writeup done by the physician that entails the major reason for the encounter, the patient's diagnoses, and other information. The encounters titled "OP Visits" give no information other than the name of the physician and the patient's demographics. What determines whether an encounter is to be labeled as one or the other?

Oh, Epic. What fun. OP = outpatient. Don't really see how that's different from office. Have you noticed a trend that the older appts tend to say OP and the newer ones tend to say office. It could just be because some of the appts were from before your hospital went live on Epic, so it's stuff that was entered post-appt. If that's the case, it would have less info in it. Just my $0.02. Epic and I have had a lot of fun together over the last year - let me know if you have any other questions, I might be able to answer some.

justdoit31

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Not certain on the hospital you are viewing but I have noticed that some hospitals (where I researched in particular) have outpatient clinics that are in the hospital (I was in an OP Peds Hem/Onc clinic but it was on the same floor of the hospital as the PICU). So maybe OP visit is one of those types of clinics where Office Visit is at another campus/facility (say a clinic across the street or a satelite facility). Just a guess.

About the Ads
Jul 17, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

Wait, are you randomly scrolling through medical records? :scared:

equios

10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Get his fill of committing HIPPA violations before he can be prosecuted for it, of course! It's like drug running between the ages of 16-18, since when you turn 18, it's all expunged from your record!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads