EPIC SHOWDOWN- UConn vs. Pitt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

If cost of attendance were NOT a concern, I would choose to go to the following school:

• Total voters

HypotheticalSituation

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My fellow SDNers,

The time has arrived to make a decision.
I am stuck between two fantastic programs: 1) UConn and 2) Pitt

Assume that the cost of attendance is 100% negligible.

Both programs have excellent specialty placement rates, but I'm still 50-50 between general dentistry and specializing.

I like the curriculum at each program, although I love the basic science aspect of UConn (team-based learning).

On the other hand, I like the early clinical exposure of Pitt (assisting from week 1, first patient assigned after end of D1) more than that of UConn (no early dental experience).

Pitt emphasizes CAD/CAM heavily.
Pitt has you take the NBDE Part 1 after D1. UConn has you take Part 1 after D2.

The new clinics being built at UConn will likely be gorgeous.

I like the urban environment of Pittsburgh A LOT. Pitt has much more of a college town feel and that appeals to me greatly.

What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The point of dental school is your education, but I think that location is at times the biggest factor. Either school will give you great skills. Where will you be most comfortable learning those skills? Sounds like Pittsburgh.

Reactions: 1 users
What do you imagine yourself doing when you're not doing dental school stuff?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The point of dental school is your education, but I think that location is at times the biggest factor. Either school will give you great skills. Where will you be most comfortable learning those skills? Sounds like Pittsburgh.

I think so too, but UConn is such an amazing program and has a wonderful reputation. It's hard to say no to UConn.

What do you imagine yourself doing when you're not doing dental school stuff?

Going out with friends to try new restaurants, attending sporting events, volunteering with local community service organizations, exploring new places.

Tough choice. I think Pittsburgh has double the class size, so you could also think of it as double the friendship opportunities!

Tough choice. I think Pittsburgh has double the class size, so you could also think of it as double the friendship opportunities!

UConn is ~49 students for dental and 100+ med students who you spend the first 18 months with.
Pitt around 80 dental. Both class sizes are manageable, not too large.

An advantage of Pitt is that you have the med campus, the undergrad. campus, the pharmacy students, EVERYONE all together. That college town vibe is there. You can meet someone new everyday!

In terms of having enough patients, each school functions as the safety net for dental care in its respective region.

I would say UConn mainly because its pass/fail. Pitt has class ranks and it can get competitive. Pass/fail makes life significantly less stressful.

I would consider this:

Reactions: 2 users
I would say UConn mainly because its pass/fail. Pitt has class ranks and it can get competitive. Pass/fail makes life significantly less stressful.

where do you get info on whether schools go by the pass/fail system? i can't seem to locate that info for my schools

I don't think I've ever seen an easier choice in these forums.