Epidemiology MDPhD Research Hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted927298

Hey guys, I'm nearing 1,000 hours for Epi research right now, and I am about to have a first author pub in a high impact factor journal.

I'd like to apply to MDPhD Epi programs, however, the bulk of my research hours has been with basic science research (approx 2500 hours so far). I switched to Epi research because of a class, and totally became immersed in this.

My question is that, will this amount of research hours be enough for MDPhD admissions in an Epi program?
--Only will have about 1,500 hours by the time of application for Epi. However, 2,500 hours for basic science research.

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying this cycle to epi/health services programs, and had fewer hours than you overall (~2500 total at time of application, about half and half public health and comp bio), and my cycle has gone ok (18 apps -> 6 interviews -> 1 acceptance so far). Granted, I had high stats (524 MCAT, >3.9 GPA) and a somewhat unique personal story that might have helped me stand out.

My experience has been that overall research experience matters more than specific research experience, and yours sounds really strong. Some top-tier epi programs (Johns Hopkins, Columbia, etc.) might not look as favorably at basic science research, but I don't think any program would automatically rule you out.

Disclaimer: I'm just another applicant, so take all of the above with a grain of salt. But I'm happy to answer any other questions about applying md/phd in public health.

Reactions: 1 user