Epidemiology vs. Basic Science Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greenleaf

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd year who has recently decided to go into ophthalmology. I'm trying to set up a research project and I have 2 options...one in epidemiology which has a high likelihood of publication and another in a basic science lab with a very low likelihood of publication. Both projects are with well-respected professors. Also, irrespective of potential for future publication, I like each project equally. Does anyone have any advice for me? Is epidemiology research less respected when applying for residency?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

the actual topic of research matters less to others at the applicant stage as long as you yourself are genuinely interested. If you feel the same level of enthusiasm regarding epidemiology or basic science then go with the better chance of publication.

Originally posted by avm03
the actual topic of research matters less to others at the applicant stage as long as you yourself are genuinely interested. If you feel the same level of enthusiasm regarding epidemiology or basic science then go with the better chance of publication.

I agree. If you're excited enough about something, then you can sell people anything. ;)