epidemiology vs community health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drppk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi could any body pease tell me which is a better major of the two as regards jobs , aid and future?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi ! there
I am from India as well and am completing my MPH and moving on to do my dental training after that as I am a dentist by profession. Well to answer ur question between the two epi and CH , Epi is a better choice so are others like envionmental and Biostats. I did mine in C Health coz it blended well with my clinical background and moreover my eventual aim, was to pursue dentistry so it really did'nt matter. But if u r looking at MPH as a career option I think epi will be better. bacuse with community health ur employment options are restricted. U can work for the state (govt) jobs in state health depts. with CH as a major but they will require you to have a US residency etc.
Hope this helps and all the best
:)

I remember reading an article about how ther aren't enough epidemiologists in the United States. With that being said, that does not mean that they will be paid the big bucks. You'll definitely have a job, though. I'm doing a MD/MPH with the MPH in community health.

Members don't see this ad :)
Epi is by far a better "job" prospect concentration. Thats not to say there arent many community health jobs, but with the recent bioterror scares, the demand for competent epidemiologists has skyrocketed. Most Epi students also do a significant amount of biostats coursework, and knowledge of both will land you a good job for sure. In fact, if you're very well trained in epi/biostats, you could find great jobs in the pharm industry doing data crunching for clinical trials or even for random corporations that use SAS to analyze internal data.

it all depends on what you are interested in. if you like research and biostats...then go with epidemiology. if you like more prevention and education...go with community health. from my experience in trying to find epi jobs...many positions require/prefer a PhD.