Epidemiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pctp9588

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a BS in Biology graduated 2012 and now working at a water treatment plant as a lab tech. I am interested in Epidemiology but I heard that I need to get a Masters degree for this. I saw a job posting here in MN that a person can have a BS but just needs experience. My question is, where can I get experience? Volunteer where? Doesn't matter if I don't get paid I just want the experience so I can get in the field. Or do I absolutely need a Masters degree? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah I tried to google but I can't find any other networking/forums. :( I just want to see my options before I start going back for a Masters and have more debt.. :(

I don't know everything about public health, but as far as I know, you need an MPH to be an epidemiologist. Definitely consider pursuing that degree -- I highly recommend Public Health.

Here are some resources:

http://www.publichealth.org/volunteering/
Also try NIH if you live near one of their facilities.
And also see if your alma mater has a public health program (undergrad or graduate) -- they might be able to offer advising since you're an alum.

Good luck!

Thanks you guys! I'll look into NIH and also the website you gave me gothicfoxes. And also thanks to givemethatMD for the forum :)

Thanks you guys! I'll look into NIH and also the website you gave me gothicfoxes. And also thanks to givemethatMD for the forum :)

No thank you for my forum suggestion, I see how it is...

Reactions: 1 user
lol sorry notaserialkiller! I appreciate you too.. The link didnt work tho?..

I suspect that the experience they'd be looking for would be work experience in a smaller health department that happily hires a college grad and provides on the job training given the limitations of the location/salary they have to offer. Or they have an incumbent that they want to promote into that job after many years of experience at a lower level position and so they've written the ad that way.

You can earn an MPH in epidemiology and work for a health department. To be a principal investigator doing epidemiologic research or to be an CDC epidemic intelligence service (EIS) officer where you learn how to investigate outbreaks you'll need a doctoral degree (MD, DO, DDS, DVM, PhD, etc) or be a nurse. http://www.cdc.gov/eis/diseasedetectives.html

You can find schools and programs in public health through www.aspph.org

Reactions: 1 users
yeah I tried to google but I can't find any other networking/forums. :( I just want to see my options before I start going back for a Masters and have more debt.. :(
sometimes....talking to a REAL ADMISSIONS OFFICE is better than looking for an internet forum. Particularly when making large decisions such as getting a masters degree

I suspect that the experience they'd be looking for would be work experience in a smaller health department that happily hires a college grad and provides on the job training given the limitations of the location/salary they have to offer. Or they have an incumbent that they want to promote into that job after many years of experience at a lower level position and so they've written the ad that way.

You can earn an MPH in epidemiology and work for a health department. To be a principal investigator doing epidemiologic research or to be an CDC epidemic intelligence service (EIS) officer where you learn how to investigate outbreaks you'll need a doctoral degree (MD, DO, DDS, DVM, PhD, etc) or be a nurse. http://www.cdc.gov/eis/diseasedetectives.html

You can find schools and programs in public health through www.aspph.org

Thanks! I'll check it out!

sometimes....talking to a REAL ADMISSIONS OFFICE is better than looking for an internet forum. Particularly when making large decisions such as getting a masters degree

Yeah I've already made some appointments :)

Reactions: 1 user
epidemiology is a cool field! Getting an MPH will send you down that path. There's a lot of biostatistics.

There are several well known schools with undergrad public health degrees as well.

Has anyone heard of the MPH program at Argosy University? What do you guys think about that school? I'm in the Twin Cities Minnesota

You would be wise to choose an MPH that is accredited by the Council on Education in Public Health www.ceph.org.

In the Twin Cities you have U Minnesota which has one of the finest Epidemiology programs in the country.

In the Twin Cities you have U Minnesota which has one of the finest Epidemiology programs in the country.

Really?!? How'd we start that rumor? ;)

J/K. I've absolutely loved my experience there. All 5 years of commuting insanity for it.

I know this is a bit of an older post @pctp9588 , but they have great info. sessions for prospective students. Definitely contact the program and check one out. But I can vouch for great faculty and tons of unique opprtunities for practical experience as a student, great mentorship program, and a huge huge network to help with future career opps. You can PM me questions if you want.