epidural with tattoo??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ga girl117

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you give a woman in labor an epidural if she has a tattoo around L4-L5? It doesn't seem like it would be a problem but just curious what everyone thinks.

Members don't see this ad.

No, because patients with tattoos are always afraid of needles.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think there's a six month "rule".. however,
literature isn't clear (strong enough to support) if going thru a tattoo is
harmful or not..
you can always stretch/move the skin around so a non-ink spot correlates with your preferred insertion site..

tattoo's are absolute contraindications to epidurals...don't do it...you'll be paralyzed for life.

as long as the tatto wasnt done the day before or something...there's no problem. yes i would try to avoid the 'ink' and go somewhere without it...however, i've noticed tht tattoos help in that it helps you know where you put the local....:D

as long as the tatto wasnt done the day before or something...there's no problem. yes i would try to avoid the 'ink' and go somewhere without it...however, i've noticed tht tattoos help in that it helps you know where you put the local....:D

I put one in a gal the other day who had a tat of a globe, some sorta earth worshipper I guess. Was kinda fun jabbin the needle right thru Greenland... could have speared Iraq if I did a paramedian, I suppose...

tattoo's are absolute contraindications to epidurals...don't do it...you'll be paralyzed for life.

hey mil,
i've not seen in the literature that tattoos are absolute contraindications, unless the ink is fairly new. can you cite or is this 'paralyzed for life' comment in conjunction with your years of experience? thanks-

sounded like ga girl has a tat...and is preg...and wanted reassurance from strangers here that it's ok for her to have an epidural...

so I was being an as s....and made something up.

hey mil,
i've not seen in the literature that tattoos are absolute contraindications, unless the ink is fairly new. can you cite or is this 'paralyzed for life' comment in conjunction with your years of experience? thanks-

He's pulling your chain.

Strangely, and more often in men, I have had patients with lots of tats and are afraid of needles. This one 'tough guy' had a full sleeve and then whimpered and fussed when I put in the local for his IV.

sounded like ga girl has a tat...and is preg...and wanted reassurance from strangers here that it's ok for her to have an epidural...

so I was being an as s....and made something up.

oh that's just rich~

The real question for said patients is whether or not they can deliver vaginally with their active HSV lesions.

The answer is a resounding no.

Members don't see this ad :)
Right- because everyone with tattoos must have HSV!

The real question for said patients is whether or not they can deliver vaginally with their active HSV lesions.

The answer is a resounding no.

No, because patients with tattoos are always afraid of needles.

Strangely, and more often in men, I have had patients with lots of tats and are afraid of needles. This one 'tough guy' had a full sleeve and then whimpered and fussed when I put in the local for his IV.

Ain't that the truth! :laugh: Can't tell you how many times I've heard that one.

My thoughts: You have a stylet in the Tuohy. What are you going to entrain into the epidural space? Nothing.

-copro

Ain't that the truth! :laugh: Can't tell you how many times I've heard that one.

My thoughts: You have a stylet in the Tuohy. What are you going to entrain into the epidural space? Nothing.

-copro

styletting for CSE, not for straight epidural.
so, technically, you could "entrain" junk into the space...
IMO anyway--

styletting for CSE, not for straight epidural.
so, technically, you could "entrain" junk into the space...
IMO anyway--

You leave the stylet in the Tuohy as you push it through the skin. IOW, you pull the stylet out after it's passed through the tattoo. Highly unlikely that you will pull more dye in at that point, which you already passed with the Tuohy needle a long time ago. Besides, what would it hurt in the epidural space anyway? It doesn't do a damn thing intradermally.

-copro

Right- because everyone with tattoos must have HSV!

You are the exception, Homie.

Not the rule.

Theres a definite correlation to the tramp stamp parturient and:

1) Medicaid

2) STDs

3) Husbands......OOOPS!....sorry....BOYFRIENDS... with cap down low, turned forty degrees left, pants belted below pubic symphysis, oversized T shirt, sporting a nicer video camera than I have, even though baby-momma is paying for her epidural with medicaid.

This parturient in question is half the time white and half the time black, so no racial undertones going on with my observation.

I posted a cuppla months ago about how a colleague of mine, with keen accuracy, was able to predict which obstetrician was in charge of the patient by presence or absence of tramp stamp only.....since we have one OB dude who does primarily medicaid....and mosta his patients have tramp stamps.....and...uhhhhh....mosta the OBs that cater to the insurance crowd have patients that ....uhhhh.....don't sport DA STAMP.

Don't hate da playa, Dre...hate the game. :smuggrin:

BTW, I love it when I have to stick the Tuohy thru the eye of the tramp stamp....(so obviously I don't think putting an epidural thru a TS is an issue... I've stabbed so many tramp stamps with a Tuohy that I'm sure Id've heard from a personal injury lawyer by now....)

The best is the baby daddy who says he can't wait for that fat welfare check so he can get them new air force ones.

You leave the stylet in the Tuohy as you push it through the skin. IOW, you pull the stylet out after it's passed through the tattoo. Highly unlikely that you will pull more dye in at that point, which you already passed with the Tuohy needle a long time ago. Besides, what would it hurt in the epidural space anyway? It doesn't do a damn thing intradermally.

-copro

yea, guess i didn't look at it or think of it that way..
cool-

As always u r right, Jet.

I only hate da game

You are the exception, Homie.

Not the rule.

Theres a definite correlation to the tramp stamp parturient and:

1) Medicaid

2) STDs

3) Husbands......OOOPS!....sorry....BOYFRIENDS... with cap down low, turned forty degrees left, pants belted below pubic symphysis, oversized T shirt, sporting a nicer video camera than I have, even though baby-momma is paying for her epidural with medicaid.

This parturient in question is half the time white and half the time black, so no racial undertones going on with my observation.

I posted a cuppla months ago about how a colleague of mine, with keen accuracy, was able to predict which obstetrician was in charge of the patient by presence or absence of tramp stamp only.....since we have one OB dude who does primarily medicaid....and mosta his patients have tramp stamps.....and...uhhhhh....mosta the OBs that cater to the insurance crowd have patients that ....uhhhh.....don't sport DA STAMP.

Don't hate da playa, Dre...hate the game. :smuggrin:

BTW, I love it when I have to stick the Tuohy thru the eye of the tramp stamp....