EPPP practice test scores for those who passed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm in MI too, and when I click retrieve scores, there is nothing there. The exam shows as scored, but nothing under retrieve scores.
I wonder if Michigan will report online.

Congrats to those who just found out!

Members don't see this ad.

I found it very helpful to have this info from others, so here's how I studied. I'm generally a good test taker, so I was trying to be conscious about not over studying. I ended up feeling that this was a pretty decent amount for me, though I was still nervous the day of the exam and afterward.

• I started about 2 months before I took it, and put in around 10 hours a week of studying at first. I did not study over weekends. Maybe it was actually more than 10 hours, though, if I include the passive half-listening I did of the AATBS audio CDs to and from my post-doc. I found that the audio CDs were more helpful towards the end of my studying than the beginning, since I would tune in and out while driving. They were nice for reviewing material I had already encountered.
  • I purchased the AR practice exam package. I took my first exam cold and then took several more throughout my studying depending on when I had a chunk of time to do them. My scores on these had a very truncated range (62%-68%). They also didn't seem to correlate at all with how much studying I had already done. On my first exam, I got a 64%; on the one I took the day before my actual exam I got a 66%. So, I would say that if you are consistently scoring in the 66%+ range, you're probably ready to sit for the exam.
  • I took the AR diagnostic exam twice throughout my studying. I passed both of these attempts with a 76% and an 84%. I definitely found the diagnostic exam to be easier than the AR practice exams.
  • I used old AATBS CDs and workbooks from 2006 or 2007. I thought that reviewing material in the books was helpful, and this is how I did the majority of my studying outside of practice exams. I made my own flash cards as I went through these books, and had my husband drill me on these several times over the week before the exam.
  • The last 2 weeks I stepped my game up and started taking more practice tests and reading more of the workbooks as well as still listening to the audio CDs. I probably put in about 20-25 hours each of the last two weeks. I was lucky enough to have down time at my post-doc to study, so I still took weekends off. On the day of the exam, I reviewed the flashcards I had been having the most difficulty with, but otherwise didn't try to cram.

I ended up feeling like the version of the EPPP I took was easier than the practice exams, but still challenging enough that I didn't k now whether or not I had passed upon leaving the exam. I had time left after finishing the questions to go back and review most of my answers, so that helped me feel more confident (but still not certain that I had passed). I recommend people do review their answers to as many questions as possible (not just the tricky ones you "marked") because this did give me some peace of mind during the wait to receive scores.

Hope that helps! I'm glad to be done with this thing!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all,

Thank you for taking the time to post on this forum. I took the EPPP on July 30th in Virginia. I haven't received any notifications and the score is not posted on the proexam/asppb website. I am wondering if anybody here is also awaiting scores in Virginia.

Thanks and good luck!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info. Do they by any chance give you a score for each domain.

I didn't receive that, no; the person from my state board just told me my overall score. I believe you may need to pay for the domain-specific scores, but I'm not sure on that.

I am waiting on scores from Michigan as well. They only notify applicants via snail mail. You MAY be able to find out sooner if you have all of your other materials (save for a passing EPPP score) in for licensure at this site: http://www2.dleg.state.mi.us/appstatus/

I called the ASPPB board today and they said that they DID send the scores to Michigan. I called the Michigan board and they said they HAVE NOT received the scores yet. So, my guess is that they should receive/process them in the next couple of days. This waiting game definitely sucks!

I feel very much the same way as most of those on this list. I studied hard for the exam, took 12-14 practice exams, and was getting in the mid- to high-80s on the first try by the end. I used AR and AATSB. Despite doing very well on the practice exams, I walked out of the exam extremely confident that I failed. I guess we will see in the next week or so....

Best of luck to everyone waiting on their scores and those who are about to take it!

I wonder if Michigan will report online.

Congrats to those who just found out!

New
I am waiting on scores from Michigan as well. They only notify applicants via snail mail. You MAY be able to find out sooner if you have all of your other materials (save for a passing EPPP score) in for licensure at this site: http://www2.dleg.state.mi.us/appstatus/

I called the ASPPB board today and they said that they DID send the scores to Michigan. I called the Michigan board and they said they HAVE NOT received the scores yet. So, my guess is that they should receive/process them in the next couple of days. This waiting game definitely sucks!

I feel very much the same way as most of those on this list. I studied hard for the exam, took 12-14 practice exams, and was getting in the mid- to high-80s on the first try by the end. I used AR and AATSB. Despite doing very well on the practice exams, I walked out of the exam extremely confident that I failed. I guess we will see in the next week or so....

Best of luck to everyone waiting on their scores and those who are about to take it!

Hello all, I have tracked this forum over the last 4 or 5 months and found it to be quite informative and encouraging. I have one post from several months ago. My situation is a little different, I have a MA in clinical psychology which i obtained back in 2001. I have been working in a state that doesn't not have masters level licensure since completing graduate school. I am from NC which does have a masters level licensure which requires the EPPP. I have dreaded this exam for years and had a few false starts with studying for it. A little over 2 years ago i decided to apply and commit to taking the exam. After jumping through some hoops to appease the NC board, including taking a history of psychology graduate course (go figure) i was finally cleared to take the exam. In NC a scaled score of 440 is required for MA level psychs and 500 for phds. Well I got the email today saying my scores were available for viewing. Like so many others on this forum I left the testing site completely demoralized and dejected. I told everyone close to me that I failed and was gearing up to try and study in a different manner. Well I leaned today that not only did I pass, I passed at the doctoral level as well! This makes no difference in terms of licensure but feels good nonetheless. I personally think the test is lame and likely has little predictive validly, but hoops must be made for people to jump through I suppose.

I began studying in mid December, usually about 4 to 5 days a week for about 30 mins. I had an unexpected surgery in Feb which lead to me not studying for a few weeks and also some times in other months where i skipped a week or two. I never completed one practice test. I took half of a practice test after studying for months and was scoring at about 65% based on 100 items. I was so dejected by my percentage and how weird and annoying the questions were I simply discontinued. I was so annoyed by what i saw as a disconnect between the knowledge i was acquiring and the strange way they chose to assess it, and felt as if there was no way in hell I could pass this exam. I never attempted another practice test. I relied solely on aatbs note cards from 2009 and a study app for my iphone. Over the time i relied almost exclusively on the app. I also listened to the 2009 aatbe study CDs but found them rather tedious, but it likely helped some, especially for IO. As the test approached, with about 3 weeks to go, i studies a bit more, like an hour or 2 a day. I did not study for the stats, test construction or research methods sections at all! None. I focused on Neuro (which I am very good at anyway), abnormal (solid anyway), clinical (fair, but much in this sections that was new), developmental (fair, had to learn a lot), IO (hated every minute of it :sendoff:, never had that class), Learning theory (luckily im strong in that area), and to some extent social simply because i like that area. Lastly, in the weeks prior to the exam I did stumble upon some websites people had constructed which were virtual flash cards which would read the content to you. I felt this useful as i would just sit in my house with head phones on click the cards over and over. I found the auditory component to be useful for encoding .

I guess everyone is different and various approaches will yield different results. I wouldn't necessarily recommend my approach, but it worked for me, and I am not a great standardized test taker, but usually do well on regular tests in school. The EPPP is weird, in retrospect I still have no odea how I passed! I felt like I guessed A LOT, and many quetions came down to 2 possible answers. I passed at around 74 %. It took me all of the time to complete it and I didnt go back to any of my answers. I finished with about 7 mins to spare and I punched out. Good luck to all! In NC if a PhD passes at MA level but not at Doc level, they can be licensed at MA level, too bad the reverse isnt true :lol::horns:

I can understand why you feel burnt-out! I know it's probably not what you want to hear, but I would reduce my studying or find a novel way to study the information. For example, maybe have a relative or sig. other quiz you on materials or test questions; break up the pattern you've been studying in. Another tip would be to study in as many different locations as you can.

If i was just burnt out with just the studying process, yes that would be solid advice. But when you also see 6-8 patients per day, and are getting paid a meager salary even for a BA level job, that adds to the stress. And I do not have the luxury of having a significant other, or family members to help me finanically or to help me study, because they are all 7 hours away. I moved here for my post-doc and have been stuck here since because of not passing said exam.

I know I am not the first to say this about this exam, nor will I be the last, but its just rediculous what they ask and how they phrase the questions and answers. If there was a delineated clear answer to the questions, I would do fine. Since that's not the case, I have struggled tremendously. This damn test has cost me thousands! Sorry just venting, and I thought of all places, this would be a place of empathetic understanding. Even as psychologists, many choose to stand on the "it was fine" and "I just got through it" soap box, but I refuse to be anything but honest to myself, that this is one bad ass exam that has kicked me to my knees twice now and leaves me further in debt. But I digress...

Jerseydoc1234,

I completely agree that the test is poorly constructed for the task at hand. You'd think that psychologists, with their vast knowledge of human abilities and test construction, could come up with a better measure than this! I am still on a dopamine high from passing this dreaded thing! But again, I didnt exactly ace it and can image the frustration and pressure a post doc must feel in that your career is contingent on passing the exam. I luckily have a nice niche cut out for myself in a state where I am technically just an assistant (on someones license) but get paid pretty well and like the work, so I took the EPPP to solidify my future in another state where I can licensed. I'd recommend the iphone study app. It was like 30 bucks and would link to wiki pages. I think it also helps to know neuro inside and out. But I feel your pain, I didnt do well on the GRE and was scared that was predictive of my EPPP scores, luckily that didnt end up being the case. Also, the websites I found with audio flash cards was very helpful. Best of luck. I hate that test and may burn my IO flash cards as an offering to the gods!

hi all… I’ve been away from this thread for a few days… been too busy compulsively checking the Office of the Professions Verification site for my name… to no avail.

i took the test on the 30th in NY… called today and was told that NY scores were being posted tomorrow… and was unofficially told that i passed!! (her exact words were, “it appears that all of your requirements have been met… i will try to put your paperwork through quickly, check the site tomorrow after noon.” … needless to say i almost fainted, once i stopped crying, that is :)

it’s hard to be too excited… part of me is concerned that i may have spoken with a sadistic psycho who’s playing mind games with me! she was nice though, and very encouraging!

i also checked the pro exam site… and am getting the “these are your scores” message, but no scores.

i echo everyone re 2 things:

1. the support on this board is amazing!
2. the practice exams were more difficult than the actual exam… of course, it’s a little premature for me to say, being i don’t know my exact score.

soldier on, everyone… this is the final rite of passage!

One thing I have learned in this process (I've taken the EPPP twice now) is that people's practice test scores range wildly depending on natural test taking ability. I personally think that in this exam, there are correct answers, answers you would choose in real life, and answers the exam company wants you to pick as the right answer. I personally find it very difficult with so much grey area within both the questions and the answers, that being said, there is nothing I can do about that. I just need to PASS this thing! I have spent so much money on this, spent countless hours studying, and while working with a full caseload. I just purchased an AR ExamCenter package, after using PsychPrep the first two times around and obviously being unsuccessful. I feel SO BURNT OUT, and its hard to not have that affect my mindset as I study. :( I guess I'm looking for feedback, suggestions, or anything that has worked for other people in my boat.
hey jdoc… i don’t know which prep is best, but i do know that i used the practice tests (9 in all) from psych prep (dr sharon jablon, my new best friend) and Academic Review… plus the free diagnostic test from AATBS… and those practices test were hands-down the most valuable. i also really like the test taking strategies that are worked into the Academic Review audio reviews. i bought all the materials second hand, so i did all the tests paper and pencil, was a bit of a drag to print it all out, plus print out all the answer keys… (literally hundreds and hundreds, maybe 1000, of pages) but, reviewing all of my wrong answers taught me a lot… and at actual exam time, a lot of it seemed very familiar. also, although i don’t recall reading anything about it on this thread, i hear a lot of good things about the taylor study method… plus, they are offering some good short-term (4 month) study deals right now… that’s not necessarily an endorsement… would need to hear first hand from someone who used it… but it seems to be the most affordable.
i get how pissed and frustrated you are… this is a wild process

Lifepsych, thank you for your candidness. I used PsychPrep for a while, did ALL their exams and my scores ranged from mid 50s at the very start to 80-93% at the second and third time taking many of them. Towards the end however, I got a bad taste in my mouth for Dr. Jablon after she tried to gouge me with individual consult sessions at $225 an hour when my practice exam scores were slightly below where they should be. Basically like everything else, it all comes down to MONEY. And as an underpaid unlicensed psychology resident, that's one thing I don't have right now. I do think the practice exams are hands down the BEST way to prepare, but with that, some of the rationales are helpful to understand the answer, while others are more like two sentences that are mearly restating the questions, which leaves me scratching my head and furious with this whole PROCESS. I started studying for this THING about 2 years ago, and of course had lapses in serious study time, but still that's a lot of time and lack of a social life for this F-ing exam.

Original Stub: "One thing I have learned in this process (I've taken the EPPP twice now) is that people's practice test scores range wildly depending on natural test taking ability. I personally think that in this exam, there are correct answers, answers you would choose in real life, and answers the exam company wants you to pick as the right answer."

If i was just burnt out with just the studying process, yes that would be solid advice. But when you also see 6-8 patients per day, and are getting paid a meager salary even for a BA level job, that adds to the stress. And I do not have the luxury of having a significant other, or family members to help me finanically or to help me study, because they are all 7 hours away. I moved here for my post-doc and have been stuck here since because of not passing said exam.
I know I am not the first to say this about this exam, nor will I be the last, but its just rediculous what they ask and how they phrase the questions and answers. If there was a delineated clear answer to the questions, I would do fine. Since that's not the case, I have struggled tremendously. This damn test has cost me thousands! Sorry just venting, and I thought of all places, this would be a place of empathetic understanding. Even as psychologists, many choose to stand on the "it was fine" and "I just got through it" soap box, but I refuse to be anything but honest to myself, that this is one bad ass exam that has kicked me to my knees twice now and leaves me further in debt. But I digress...

Now I am about average when it comes to my test taking performance and my GPA in graduate school didn't impress anyone. I am never the smartest guy in the room and I am used to having to struggle every step of the way during this whole process towards licensure. I have a lot of empathy for your predicament but you seem to be focused on external factors when internal factors are really responsible for your inability to pass (In other words how you are thinking through the questions to arrivr at an answer). Blaming the test or test content is flawed for a number of reasons. You are doing something wrong with regards to your testing approach, but it is not the fault of the test or the content. You can make the assertion that the content is irrevelant, but even then the process and the psychometrics behind the construction of the test are sound and the face validity is of questionable value. I could go into details behind the test construction, but that really would be a waste of your time and not necessarily address the problem. The problem is that you need to pass the test.

So, while I can't complain about the meager salary, I see an attempt to externalize blame as opposed to simply stating that for whatever reason you have been unable to think in a manner consistent with what is expected on the test.

This is a bit personal, but I think valid, when looking at how you are trying to rationalize your performance on the test. I don't doubt that stress can impair your performance but I was under a tremendous amount of stress prior to taking the test and still managed to be well above the passing score. In the weeks leading up to the exam, I took some vacation from work in order to study during which my live in girlfriend ended our relationship, moved out (or rather I did the packing), hosted a friend with stage II breast cancer for a week, had my car broken into, and I came down with a cold the week prior to testing, and remained sick 2 days post test. I also see around 6 patients per day, stand a mental health care watch, have collateral military responsibilities, and I live alone on a small island with little social support, no study support, or family to rely on. Despite this and more (yes there was more than just that) I was able to understand how you needed to parse the questions, and this is clearly where I think you may be stuck.

So back to the problem, and finally some empathy for you. The problem is that you need to pass the test. The solution is that you need the right answers. Sounds easy enough until you get to the ambigous nature of the answers where 2 answers appear clearly wrong or unfamiliar, 2 answers are potentially valid, and you don't have a clue how to answer the question.

This is where the difference is made between those who pass and those who do not pass. Those who pass are willing to set aside their own internal biases and adopt a different mindset where one looks to exclude answers based on how the test taker is expected to answer not on what is the correct answer. There will be a reason while one answer is better than another, even if you disagree with it completely. You will either be less conservative in your answer than the test expects or you will be overly conservative afraid to make a decision which shows your willingness to understand that the facts have some room for interpretation. You have to be willing to adopt the attitude that it does not matter what you believe is right but rather what has been identified as correct, you are not there to judge or accept the validity of the content, you are there taking the test to put the round peg in the round hole and the square peg in the square hole, and it doesn't matter that you are wearing glasses that make round holes look square and square holes look round. This is why using practice questions is so important, you have to practice the skill. I wasn't born with test taking skills any more than you were.

I hope that you can figure out what is kicking your butt with regards to the test, once it clicks you'll do well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mark,
Thanks for your unsolicited psychoanalysis. I am not externalizing blame, I know it was my fault I didn't pass and not the test itself. I'm a realist though and I'm simply stating my opinion of the exam. I understand full well that there are answers that I don't agree with that are the "best" answers on the test. Forgive me if I'm a little frustrated for eating cereal most nights because that's all I can afford. I know that others have had struggles far worse than mine. I just didn't go to school for forever to go into debt for enternity, to make the peanuts I'm getting paid right now. Yes I'm salty but NO ONE can possibly understand what this is like unless in my shoes exactly. I have taken the EPPP twice and each time been THISCLOSE but still not pass. I appreciate your perspective and yes, I agree I need to bolster my test taking skill before taking it for a 3rd time. But can't a doctor of psychology just be pissed at the EPPP testing process?! We are so compassionate and empathetic to our patients, but not so much to each other...

Reactions: 1 users
Mark,
Thanks for your unsolicited psychoanalysis. I am not externalizing blame, I know it was my fault I didn't pass and not the test itself. I'm a realist though and I'm simply stating my opinion of the exam. I understand full well that there are answers that I don't agree with that are the "best" answers on the test. Forgive me if I'm a little frustrated for eating cereal most nights because that's all I can afford. I know that others have had struggles far worse than mine. I just didn't go to school for forever to go into debt for enternity, to make the peanuts I'm getting paid right now. Yes I'm salty but NO ONE can possibly understand what this is like unless in my shoes exactly. I have taken the EPPP twice and each time been THISCLOSE but still not pass. I appreciate your perspective and yes, I agree I need to bolster my test taking skill before taking it for a 3rd time. But can't a doctor of psychology just be pissed at the EPPP testing process?! We are so compassionate and empathetic to our patients, but not so much to each other...

I have no advice to give. You seemingly have done it all. The test is horrible, a pain in the ass, and it's a shame that people like yourself are put in a position where they need to rely on the examination in order to not eat cereal for every meal. I'm looking forward to Chex and Cheerios being only a small part of my daily meal as well. I hope the third time works out for you, you deserve to feel what it's like to see that > 500 score under your name. You probably already mentioned but when do you take it next? Are you getting licensed in Jersey?

Btw... I like your responses to other's answers. "Thabks for the unsolicited psychoanalysis. I'm not 'externalizing'". Ah, I miss the Northeast...

Good luck Jersey!

Thank you, thank you thank you for your realness AC1234. I don't know when exactly, I recently sent in my application to the state, so probably I'll test again in a month or two. I am probably not getting licensed in Jersey, although I'm from Jersey. I'm looking into my options elsewhere. If you've ever experienced rush hour in the South Jersey/Philadelphia area you know why I say this. I know I will eventually come to the other side, after being on the dark side with cereal for far too long. That's the frustrating thing about this exam, I KNOW what I did wrong. But with the EPPP, its difficult to acertain which end is up a lot of the time, hence my above-mentioned rant. Thank you to all being supportive of fellow EPPP sufferers. God bless and goodnight.

I think it's important to remember that our doctorates are in "psychology" with a concentration in the clinical application of psychological science to human health and suffering. Thus, a test measuring comprehensive knowledge of "psychology", not just clinical application, seems more than fair game. I think the stress of the process can make us forget this fact, as well as the larger rationale for having a competence measure as a requisite for licensure. Physicians have board exams after all, right? They are hard, right?

I agree the wording is sometimes poor and some specific item content is silly or too specific. But not so much that THAT should be flunking you. What area are you weakest in and what might you be doing differently on exam day that you aren't during practice tests? In most of our experiences, and this board is filled the experience, unless your training is inordinately subpar, the key is likely LESS, not more.

I think it's a shame employers are not more supportive, both financially and practically, with this. I was given $1200 in professional development each year so the whole thing was easily covered for me. I also happened to be in a psychology department with a handful of other young psychologists, so there was wealth of knowledge to tap into. I highly recommend interacting with your fellow post-docs about the test, as well as your post doc faculty/supervisors. This also speaks to importance of perhaps requiring the exam prior to starting post-doc so that one can fully bill for clinical service. Taking a "ba level" job as a phd seems insulting at the least. I always strongly encourage my supervises not accept post doc positions that are explotative, underpaid (anything below NIH established salaries), or that do not actually train you in a new skill or provide professional development/support. Besides the obvious reasons for this is that there is truly nothing worse than the stress of licensing when are you exploited, poor, and DESPERATE to move on and do something else.

Last edited:
erg923,

I pictured you saying the above in a silk smoking jacket and cigar. Yea, nicey nicey for you that you got so much financial and emotional support. Not all of us are that lucky. I did not say I had a BA level job as a doctor, I said I am getting a BA level salary. And if I had the choice of a higher paying job, believe me I would have jumped on it. But in my home area of Philadelphia/NJ the area is so saturated with psychologists, that jobs are scarce and a license is required for them all. So, I had to pack up all my earthly belongings and move to Ohio for A JOB rather than NO JOB. I am fully aware that it is my own inadaquacies that is contributing directly to my inability to pass thus far. But again, you proved my point precisely when I stated earlier that while we are emphathetic to our patients, our compassion for fellow psychologists is lacking. Its sad for our profession that we can't support our tough times as much as celebrate our victories. Just my thoughts, for what its worth. I've learned to not take too much stock into other people's opinions, and to trust my own over all. There will always be psychologists and other professionals who had an easier time getting licensed, and those that have a more difficult time. The latter builds character and that strength permeates throughout the clinical work we do. I find it personally humorous that this thread serves as a microcosm for how all of us treat our patients, do we REALLY listen to what is said, do we elaborate about our own experience and downplay that of the patient? I might not have a lot of money right now, but I LOVE what I get to do everyday, license or not.

erg923,

I pictured you saying the above in a silk smoking jacket and cigar. Yea, nicey nicey for you that you got so much financial and emotional support. Not all of us are that lucky.

Indeed, sport coat on today (not silk). And I agree with you, which is why on work hard to help my supervisees avoid post-docs that are not supportive (financially and academically) during such a stressful and pivitol time in ones career.

I am plenty empathetic. I attempted to support you by having you view the situation in another perspective, much as Markp did. Sometime a "there, there, it will all be alright" just aint that helpful, right?

Last edited:
Way to go! Congratulations Lifepsych!!
thanks ac123!! how long did you actually have to wait till you got your ny snail mail scores? i know it doesn’t really matter… but i can’t wait to see it in black and white… and get the “parchment” (that’s what the proctor at pro metrics called it… made me laugh!)
by the way… did you get your fridge fixed!!?;)

Lifepsych, thank you for your candidness. I used PsychPrep for a while, did ALL their exams and my scores ranged from mid 50s at the very start to 80-93% at the second and third time taking many of them. Towards the end however, I got a bad taste in my mouth for Dr. Jablon after she tried to gouge me with individual consult sessions at $225 an hour when my practice exam scores were slightly below where they should be. Basically like everything else, it all comes down to MONEY. And as an underpaid unlicensed psychology resident, that's one thing I don't have right now. I do think the practice exams are hands down the BEST way to prepare, but with that, some of the rationales are helpful to understand the answer, while others are more like two sentences that are mearly restating the questions, which leaves me scratching my head and furious with this whole PROCESS. I started studying for this THING about 2 years ago, and of course had lapses in serious study time, but still that's a lot of time and lack of a social life for this F-ing exam.
hey jdoc… here’s one other thought… i know you have mentioned that you’ve been pounding the books for this damn test for nearly 2 years… and yes, while the research supports paced/spaced studying… a few solid, intense weeks of nothing but test prep (when we’re not working or sleeping… but those are really the only exceptions - sad but true) made me feel like i was ‘bleeding’ the material… forget all that “cramming doesn’t work nonsense,” at least for now. my experience is that the test was more of an intense sprint, than paced marathon. i don’t know if others agree, but doing barely nothing else but study had me crazy, but prepared. i’m pulling for you, i totally get the balancing act/paying dues thing.

The answer is there. You just have a know how to choose it. Like any MC test, there is strategy to that. Familiarity with broad content is of course a requirement here, but mastery? Not so much. Moderate paced studying with some cramming the week before is likely what's needed if your training was solid. Also when I say "studying" I mean practice tests. Practice the strategy. Learn how to eliminate all but two answers. You can do this even if you only have surface level familiarly with the item's content. Do a broad overview and then detailed reading of your weaker areas, but then just practice tests for several weeks before the test.

Over studying is generally bad news bears.

thanks ac123!! how long did you actually have to wait till you got your ny snail mail scores? i know it doesn’t really matter… but i can’t wait to see it in black and white… and get the “parchment” (that’s what the proctor at pro metrics called it… made me laugh!)
by the way… did you get your fridge fixed!!?;)

It took about ten days from the date of the test to receive the letter but I'm out in LA for my postdoc, so that adds a few days. It feels good to have it in hand. I definitely read it 30 times through the next day or so to make sure I didn't make any mistake reading it!

The fridge was fixed and broke again a few days later. It's been working for the past two weeks though, so things are looking up!

Wow, it's been ages since I posted. I have just survived this process.

Anyways, here's my rundown:

-Used Academic Review books and CDs.
-Took a mishmash of practice tests passively which I always did poorly on. Gave up on those because they caused me too much anxiety. (Even though, yes, they are the most useful for studying.) I suck at multiple choice.
-Downloaded the EPPP flash cards for iphone.
-Used the EPPP Fundamentals book the last two weeks to serve as review. (Not the greatest book, but it does help get the job done.)
-Cumulatively studied about 200 hours using the above mixture of things. This worked for me, but your mileage may vary. My 60 hour cram in the last two weeks was probably 90% responsible for my passing. I was pushing awfully close to burn out, so I think more preparation would have been detrimental.

I agree with some that the study companies fear monger a bit to trick you into buying their expensive packages. If you went to a good program with good pass rates, you are probably way more prepared than you think. Don't feel pressured into thinking you must study huge amounts with the "super-mega-awesome Platinum package", but also realize you should get your hands on SOME study material and spend SOME time on this.

I took Big Bertha for the first time on July 28th. The whole exam took me 3.5 hours. I, like most people, spent a good portion of time fighting between two answers. I probably should've used my extra time to take a good look at my answers, but I was burned out and couldn't take another minute. Walked out with a migraine and uncertain if I passed or failed. I guess you could say I was numb.

The test was neither easy nor impossible--easier than AATBS practice questions. I feel like a lot of information was never touched upon and at times, similar questions popped up two or three times. It was definitely an interesting experience, and it's hard to explain what it's truly like taking it. I can't say it was something that's truly the best measure of competence or ability, but it's a good way of reviewing things you've learned.

Fast forward to August 5th, realized that Maryland doesn't use the online reporting. Called the board the morning of the 6th and found out I passed a-ok, not by an amazing score that will shatter records, but comfortable enough. Honestly, as long as it was over 500, I was happy. We are no longer at a point where higher is better, embracing the "good enough" was the key to my sanity.

Since I already passed our Jurisprudence, I was already posted on the verification system by 1PM the next day with my license number. After a seemingly never ending road and 11 months out from finishing my doctorate, I'm officially official.

Good luck to all who are starting the journey or already on it. For those who haven't yet, get it over with as soon as you can while things are still fresh in your mind. The relief of clearing this last hurdle brings a sense of peace after all the years of sacrifice and hard work.

Wow, it's been ages since I posted. I have just survived this process.

Anyways, here's my rundown:

-Used Academic Review books and CDs.
-Took a mishmash of practice tests passively which I always did poorly on. Gave up on those because they caused me too much anxiety. (Even though, yes, they are the most useful for studying.) I suck at multiple choice.
-Downloaded the EPPP flash cards for iphone.
-Used the EPPP Fundamentals book the last two weeks to serve as review. (Not the greatest book, but it does help get the job done.)
-Cumulatively studied about 200 hours using the above mixture of things. This worked for me, but your mileage may vary. My 60 hour cram in the last two weeks was probably 90% responsible for my passing. I was pushing awfully close to burn out, so I think more preparation would have been detrimental.

I agree with some that the study companies fear monger a bit to trick you into buying their expensive packages. If you went to a good program with good pass rates, you are probably way more prepared than you think. Don't feel pressured into thinking you must study huge amounts with the "super-mega-awesome Platinum package", but also realize you should get your hands on SOME study material and spend SOME time on this.

I took Big Bertha for the first time on July 28th. The whole exam took me 3.5 hours. I, like most people, spent a good portion of time fighting between two answers. I probably should've used my extra time to take a good look at my answers, but I was burned out and couldn't take another minute. Walked out with a migraine and uncertain if I passed or failed. I guess you could say I was numb.

The test was neither easy nor impossible--easier than AATBS practice questions. I feel like a lot of information was never touched upon and at times, similar questions popped up two or three times. It was definitely an interesting experience, and it's hard to explain what it's truly like taking it. I can't say it was something that's truly the best measure of competence or ability, but it's a good way of reviewing things you've learned.

Fast forward to August 5th, realized that Maryland doesn't use the online reporting. Called the board the morning of the 6th and found out I passed a-ok, not by an amazing score that will shatter records, but comfortable enough. Honestly, as long as it was over 500, I was happy. We are no longer at a point where higher is better, embracing the "good enough" was the key to my sanity.

Since I already passed our Jurisprudence, I was already posted on the verification system by 1PM the next day with my license number. After a seemingly never ending road and 11 months out from finishing my doctorate, I'm officially official.

Good luck to all who are starting the journey or already on it. For those who haven't yet, get it over with as soon as you can while things are still fresh in your mind. The relief of clearing this last hurdle brings a sense of peace after all the years of sacrifice and hard work.

“amen sista’!” … particularly re the “get it over with as soon as you can while things are still fresh…” i finished my course work in… 1994!! my hiatus/leave of absence was spent doing lots and lots of important personal (marriage… 5 kids… house in the suburbs… :) and professional things (been a working, nys certified school psychologist since 1991…pre-doc), however… if i had it to do over again, i would have just pushed through it without the looooooong paaaaaaause. my hours were done early on, but i didn’t defend till early 2008, and officially graduated that may… then pushed off “big Bertha,” still. getting back to the books was really back-breaking and mind-numbing, i do not feel as old as i am… but this test did make me feel closer to my age! seriously, though… to all those of you considering “taking a little break”… it does not get easier later.

I don't know about me psychoanalyzing anyone, but I do care and I do want to see you pass jdoc. If what I said was unwelcome, I apologize, I am only trying to support you. Good luck and pass soon.

Hello everybody,

Thank you all for keeping this thread alive, it helped me manage some of my anxiety while studying and after the exam. So my results came in.... I Passed!! My score was 550, which I suppose means that I passed by the skin of my teeth :) So to all of you out there awaiting results or planning on taking the test soon, keep your hopes up after the test. Similar to what others wrote before, I left the exam feeling mostly confused and somewhat pessimistic about my performance. The most frustrating part after the test was not having a good feel for how I did on the test. I remember seeing many questions on the test that I completely understood the concept that was being asked about, but the answers appeared very abstract and unnecessarily convoluted... So even when I knew the concept that was being asked about and could completely explain the concept to somebody else, (at times) I still felt like I was making "an educated guess" because the answers seemed vague/incomplete or too difficult to understand. I'm a slow reader and took longer than I should have analyzing some questions so I finished the test with only 1 minute left and had no time to review my answers, which made me feel even more uncertain after the test.

This section below is for those of you that are planning to start studying or taking the test soon.

I have been out of school since 2008 so I was very nervous about studying and taking the test. I knew I'm not the kind of person to study for several months so I decided to cram all of this in a short time. I started studying 5 weeks before the test. I would NOT recommend this; two months and less hours a day might be ideal. I had no social life whatsoever during this time and was studying 6+ hours a day (even my dog was like "seriously.. are we doing anything today?"). I also took the week before the test off from work and concentrated on practice exams, which helped me get in the right mindset. I used 2013 AATBS books, flashcards (sometimes, not consistently), and took 5 TestMaster exams (highly recommended!). My scores on TestMaster were not very encouraging (mock exams in study mode: 69%, 70%, 65%, 71% and mock exam with timer: 74%). The AATBS materials were good and I found TestMaster most useful. I even had one question from TestMaster show up in my actual EPPP exam (lucky for me that I remembered the answer because I never would have guessed correctly). I didn't start taking practice exams until I finished reading all of the books. The process of studying and taking the test was physically and emotionally draining. To those of you planning on taking the test, I think it is normal to feel frustrated and angry (I sure was!) while studying so many things that you have never studied before and that you know you will never use (i.e., I/O, Alpha coefficients, etc, etc, etc...), but try your best to keep a positive perspective. I found myself reading many things 2 or 3 times (and wasting valuable time) because my mindset was off.

I hope this helps. I wish you all success on your test!

Last edited:
Has anyone heard from Michigan yet?

Has anyone heard from Michigan yet?
No, I called them yesterday. They have received and processed scores from appliants who took the exam prior to July 31st. They said that the letters have been or will be sent out very soon.

The guy I spoke with also clarified that their online application site (which provides updates on the status of your application) is several days behind their department who processes and sends out the results. So I wouldn't read anything into the fact that it may not reflect them has having received your EPPP scores.

Michigan's wait is brutal....has to be one of the worst in the country.

Wow. I bust my ass for a lousy $25,000 a year after taxes. Life sucks right now. How is this NOT supposed to affect my clinical work? I have no affluent family members or significant other to cushion the blow. THAT is why I'm so FRUSTRATED with this exam.

I took the exam at the end of July and passed with a 645.

I studied probably for 3 months, really getting serious in the three weeks before the test. I ordered the AATBS stuff and found that it was overly detailed and anxiety-provoking. I ended up studying primarily from a bunch of practice tests, learning what I didn't know from the explanations/answers provided to the questions. I took the Academic Review online test 2x, the first time getting a 71 (this was after studying for a couple weeks with the practice exams) and the second time getting an 81.

With regard to the practice exams -- in the beginning I was scoring in the high 50s (pretty demoralizing). In the weeks leading up to the test I was scoring pretty reliably in the low-mid 70s, though I was still getting scores in the 60s on harder practice exams.

Wow is Michigan slow or what. I'm still waiting to get a letter or some form of notification. If you're in Michigan and have received news please let me know.

I want to share my story so that it may be helpful to others who are or will find themselves in similar situations. I took the EPPP on July 30th, right before the switch to DSM-5. I applied through the state of Michigan, which is notorious for slow response times (they notify applicants only through snail mail). Anyway, Michigan has a website that allows you to check the status of your application and will show you what documents are needed in order to complete your application as a psychologist. So I, like many other applicants, have been compulsively checking the website several times a day since I took the exam, in hopes of seeing the status of my application changed from PENDING to COMPLETE. Well, I called the board about 9 days ago and they confirmed that they had received the scores and needed a couple of days to process them. Fast forward to yesterday -- the website still had not indicated that they had received "passing EPPP scores." I called them back and said "I have not received my results in the mail, but I think it's fair for me to assume that I failed the exam since my application status has not changed." She replied "yes, you're correct in that assumption. We have updated everyone's scores in the system for those who took the exam prior to August, so it's correct to assume you failed." Obviously devastated, I asked her to help me begin the process of reapplying to take the exam for a second time. She said she would help and asked that I give her my personal information so she could pull up my account. Once she did, she paused for about 30 seconds. She then said "oh, it looks like we had a snag or something in the system. We issued you a license the other day."

I had never wanted to so badly both hug and strangle someone at the same time.... She did not provide any explanation for their "snag" or what human error was involved. I understand that these things happen, but I think it's absurd the anxiety that myself and others have likely experienced because of incompetent, bureaucratic licensing boards. She wouldn't provide my score or even confirm that I had passed, instead saying "all I can tell you is that we have issued you a license as a psychologist in the State of Michigan. You can infer from that what you will."

As far as my preparation, I took approximately 12-13 practice exams (AATBS and Academic Review) and was getting close to 90% on the exams toward the end. Despite feeling like I had prepared very well for the exam, I walked out utterly convinced I had failed. EVERYONE I talked to beforehand had shared that they felt the same way, but to be honest -- it didn't help. I still felt awful, that I had ultimately guessed on many of the questions, and was certain I had failed. This was not helped by the "snag" in the licensing board. Anyway, I share this only because I hope that it may give others who find themselves in similar situations some small bit of relief -- do not rely on application updates or your subjective sense of how you did on the exam as a valid indicator of whether you passed or not. I got a 654 -- no clue what that converts to in terms of percentage but it's a pass.

Bottom line: the anxiety that you are experiencing while waiting for results is completely normal and you are not alone. Hang in there and I wish everyone luck. For those who didn't pass the first time, keep at it and know that you WILL pass eventually. Your identity and self-confidence as a professional should not be tied to your success or failure on this exam -- remember how much you have accomplished to even get to the point where you are one step away from being a licensed professional.

Last edited:
Well, I've been on vacation with my sister for 9 days. Each day I sent my husband to the mail box hoping for news. Well we just returned from the airport and checked the mail and the state of Michigan informed me that I PASSED. WOW! What a process. I want to thank each of you for allowing me to lurk and eventually join this forum. The support, understanding, and conversation helped me to build confidence in my approach. Here's what I used:

I used AATBS materials from 2012 , online self pace workshop and Testmaster. I scored in the beginning 50-70% but by the week of my exam I was scoring 70-90% on my round 2 of exams. It was a process, and I highly recommend using the Testmaster and the self pace work shop. Reading the material was good but I feel like the self pace workshop and the online test were really the most helpful. Now I will focus on completing my hours.

Thanks again:)

Well, I've been on vacation with my sister for 9 days. Each day I sent my husband to the mail box hoping for news. Well we just returned from the airport and checked the mail and the state of Michigan informed me that I PASSED. WOW! What a process. I want to thank each of you for allowing me to lurk and eventually join this forum. The support, understanding, and conversation helped me to build confidence in my approach. Here's what I used:

I used AATBS materials from 2012 , online self pace workshop and Testmaster. I scored in the beginning 50-70% but by the week of my exam I was scoring 70-90% on my round 2 of exams. It was a process, and I highly recommend using the Testmaster and the self pace work shop. Reading the material was good but I feel like the self pace workshop and the online test were really the most helpful. Now I will focus on completing my hours.

Thanks again:)
Congrats!

I PASSED!! I PASSED!! I PASSSSEDDDD!!

I used psych prep with the at home workshop and one consultation which reaffirmed test taking strategy. I also did one pass on the retired questions exam and one PEPPPO.

I used psych prep with the at home workshop and one consultation which reaffirmed test taking strategy. I also did one pass on the retired questions exam and one PEPPPO.
Congrats! It is such a relief isn't it. I find my self rereading my letter because I'm in such shock. Now to figure out what to do with my time:)

Congrats!

Anyone waiting to hear from NY? If you are, can you post when you get word? I took the test August 11. I'm pretty sure given snail mail I need to wait a few more days.

Congrats!

You should probably hear in the next few days. I think I heard ten days after the scores were sent out but if you're in NY you may get the letter sooner. I say by the 22-24

Thx - I go on vacation on the 22nd, so I'm resigned to having a couple more weeks of uncertainty.

Hi all,

Does anyone know how one is notified in NJ. I am told that you can call the board about a week after (if you took the test close to the 15th or 30th).
Also wanted to note some personal observations.

-I studied for 6 months (AATBS) which may have been an overkill. I think that this heightened my anxiety significantly.
-I took the exam at 3:30 thinking that this time-slot was a best match for my level of physical arousal throughout the day. Things felt different on exam day of course. I was running out of juice in the last hour of testing.
-I don't recollect seeing any DSM-5 specific questions, which is upsetting because I spent a good amount of time on it.
-I walked out of the exam thinking that I failed. In particular, I encountered way too many social psych/"in this study it was....recent research suggests" type questions which were not in the study materials and not so straightforward.
-The ethics questions were similarly worded to AATBS's TestMaster questions.
-Physio (not my strength) was pretty straight forward.

We'll see what happens.

Last edited:
Why is it that I find this site and THIS board two days before I test. Seeing as it is almost 2am, let's say the day before the test.

I haven't been able to score over a 70 on the Academic Review practice exams. Browsing the thread it seems like this might be okay?

What is your suggestion for my final 36 hours. I am a crammer. I am also a lovely GAD-ADHD blend. So... helpful hints for someone who might work best under pressure of a deadline (that's the ADHD) but could also become overwhelmed with too much new information (GAD).

I have the Academic Review books, CDs, and some online practice tests I haven't taken yet. In addition to the AATBS books that I never read, the CDs that I've listened to once, and the flashcards. Best strategy for someone who won't be sleeping much the next two nights anyhow?

P.S. My supervisor on post-doc said there are plans to change the EPPP to be more clinically based. Maybe they're putting there effort into changing the whole deal instead of making this a smooth process for anyone!

You need to reschedule the test to have more time to study. It only cost $62.00 to reschedule. This is not a test where you can learn everything by cramming the day before unless you are already a genius at Test taking.

You need to reschedule the test to have more time to study. It only cost $62.00 to reschedule. This is not a test where you can learn everything by cramming the day before unless you are already a genius at Test taking.

My caveat to this would be that we don't know for how long she's been prepping up to this point. It sounds she's taken some practice tests listened to the AATBS CDs, and perhaps read through the AR books, so it's possible that the "cramming" is really just meant to be review.

Dr. Stephany, if you've been giving it a solid effort for a month or more, then I personally wouldn't say you would need to reschedule (assuming you're feeling reasonably well-prepared). I basically just spent the last night or two reviewing the minutiae (e.g., names, dates, stages, etc.) that weren't sticking as well in my head, and trying to come up with little mnemonics to better remember them.

I actually studied for <1 month and never got above a 69 on a practice exam. However, I'm also generally a decent test taker and don't often struggle with test anxiety. Essentially, the entire time I was testing, I was just telling myself, "meh, worst-case, I shell out another $600 and take the darn thing again."