EPPP practice test scores for those who passed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know what state besides MS does not allow tests scores taken pre-doc? I have no intentions of EVER living in MS for personal reasons, but I don't want to hurt myself if I take it pre-doc if a lot of states don't allow it. I plan on taking it in Kentucky (my in-laws live there so I can use their address) this mid-next year before they update it to the DSM-V next summer. I would still be on internship when they switch.
I'm not sure how it works if you take the test pre-doc and then transfer to a state that will not allow it. However, if you take the EPPP during a post-doc year, which some states allow, what it is important for transfer is that you COMPLETE post-doc hours. I would check with a specific jurisdiction with different requirements to be sure.

Members don't see this ad.

passed

Last edited:
Just found out that I've passed. my first attempt was in July and I got 481 and now a month later 524. So happy it's over. The first test I felt I did ok and didn't pass. the second test a lot more harder and thought I failed but I didn't. so you really can't tell. now to the California test.... Good luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
EDIT: TSM and retired test questions close to actual score!!

Last edited:
I took it yesterday. Compared to AR's practice items, the EPPP items were significantly more straightforward and there were fewer questions on obscure topics. When obscure content came up, it was generally in a context that made it easy to narrow down the choices.

Is there anyone else who felt like their items were very unevenly distributed, in terms of content? It felt like ASPPB got a bunch of items on areas X, Y and Z and decided to just dump them into my exam. There was also one question that was written in a racially insensitive manner, that could have easily been written in a more neutral manner. I think that ASPPB needs an irony committee.

I just realized that I'm mindlessly web surfing without guilt. It's glorious.

ETA: I studied for ~150 hours using 2006 AR books and AATBS CDs (year unknown) and passed by a healthy margin.

Last edited:
I took the EPPP last week. I left the testing center feeling completely defeated and convinced I had failed. I spent three days telling my family, “I am confident I failed.” Now I vacillate between the belief that I failed and moments of hope. I guess as time goes on, the negative emotions fade, but I still feel pretty lousy, especially considering the time and money I invested in studying. Every time I leave the room at home my toddler says, “Mommy studying?” My worst fear is having to take the test again as I already spent hours and hours away from my family. I have also found myself thinking that I’d rather be in labor again than have to wait for my results. I know I will recognize this as a horribly distorted thought at some point in the future, but I’m not there yet. Here’s to hoping that hard work does pay off in the end!

Update: I did end up passing. started out with 48% on first AR practice test and 76% on final AR practice test (first time taking). peppo score was 550. Unlike other posters though, I thought exam was more difficult than practice tests and content differed more than expected. I also listened to cds, read and outlined all books. Studied for 6 months (5 to 10 hrs per week first 4 months and 15-20 hrs per week last 2 months).

Last edited:
I took the EPPP last week. I left the testing center feeling completely defeated and convinced I had failed. I spent three days telling my family, “I am confident I failed.” Now I vacillate between the belief that I failed and moments of hope. I guess as time goes on, the negative emotions fade, but I still feel pretty lousy, especially considering the time and money I invested in studying. Every time I leave the room at home my toddler says, “Mommy studying?” My worst fear is having to take the test again as I already spent hours and hours away from my family. I have also found myself thinking that I’d rather be in labor again than have to wait for my results. I know I will recognize this as a horribly distorted thought at some point in the future, but I’m not there yet. Here’s to hoping that hard work does pay off in the end!

Update: I did end up passing. started out with 48% on first AR practice test and 76% on final AR practice test (first time taking). peppo score was 550. Unlike other posters though, I thought exam was more difficult than practice tests and content differed more than expected. I also listened to cds, read and outlined all books. Studied for 6 months (5 to 10 hrs per week first 4 months and 15-20 hrs per week last 2 months).

Congratulations! I took my test yesterday and am a nervous wreck. i am trying to prepare my family for the possibility of my failure. I dont know if i passedor not. Its very nerve racking!!!

Congratulations! I took my test yesterday and am a nervous wreck. i am trying to prepare my family for the possibility of my failure. I dont know if i passedor not. Its very nerve racking!!!

Good luck! The waiting process was terrible for me, so I can relate to how you feel.

Thank you all for the encouragement. This process is crazy. It really fills you with self-doubt.

I also had the same experience with the material on the test being vastly different from that in either of the practice exams or review materials. I had some very strange, off the wall questions. I am pretty sure they weren't even about things related to psychology. I would love to see the video survellience of me during the exam because I remember throwing my hands up in the air and mouthing some four letter words out of frustration. Oh well, did what I could. Now I am trying to figure out how in the heck we get our scores. Some say snail mail, some say email, some hint at top secret state websites. My state is vague and apparently I will get my scores via tea leaf reading at some point.
Yeah, I just took it two days ago. I was getting an average of 65% on AATBS tests the first go-around and I totally agree with the "videocamera" thing. It was tiresome and I NEED THIS to KEEP my job!! Thanks for the encouragement.

I'm starting to prep for the EPPP. Does anyone have any insight/reviews on the EPPP flashcard app or some of the mock exam apps for iPhone?

I just wanted to drop by and give my two cents. I recently took the EPPP. I didn't prepare for months on end like many posters. I studied for 1 week (about 2 hours per day for a total of about 15 hours). By "study", I mean I took one practice exam per day, and reviewed the answers I got wrong. I scored between 52%-68% on the six AATBS exams I took, and a 74% on the retired exam questions. I just got my score and it was 621. The first time pass rate is around 85%, yet many seem to study like this is the first time fail rate.

I just wanted to drop by and give my two cents. I recently took the EPPP. I didn't prepare for months on end like many posters. I studied for 1 week (about 2 hours per day for a total of about 15 hours). By "study", I mean I took one practice exam per day, and reviewed the answers I got wrong. I scored between 52%-68% on the six AATBS exams I took, and a 74% on the retired exam questions. I just got my score and it was 621. The first time pass rate is around 85%, yet many seem to study like this is the first time fail rate.

I agree with you on this, I put about a week and a half in. Pretty similar to yours, took the practice tests, boned up on I/O a little since I hadn't really gotten any exposure to it, and passed with like a 650 or something. Just remember folks, you're not shooting for an "A", you're shooting to pass, no one cares what percentile you're in as long as it hits the cutoff.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do I get my hands on a copy of those retired questions?

and yes I have googled it. I don't see the $75 asppb retired questions being offered anymore, only a 100 question practice test using retired items and they don't provide the answers, just a score.

I am happy/envious that you studied a week and passed addicted. Congratulations! However, not everyone is able/willing to do that and forgive me if I'm a little sensitive because I am one of the people who did study significantly longer than a week, but your response felt a little smug.

Studying only a week feels very risky in my opinion. If it works for you, great, but that is not something I would ever advise anyone to do, ever! There are many individual differences in the way we learn and take tests, so I think better advice would be to know yourself, listen to the experts, set a schedule, and stick to it.

I have been viewing this forum for the past few months for inspiration as I prepared to take the EPPP. What I found most helpful were "success stories" that included detailed study procedures and practice test scores... Seeing others experience what I was going through during preparation helped me push though the fear and anxiety of this miserable test.

I began studying in July and recently took the EPPP in mid October. From July to August I did light read of all the material (using 2010 AATBS books and CDs). It was a complete was of time! I study perhaps 1-2 sections per week and was doing about 1 hour per day. I did not retain anything and at the end of the two months I was exactly where I started off.

I took a more intense study approach in September and began study 2-3 hours per day on weekdays and 4-5 hours on the weekends. A friend of mine gave me her Academic Review materials and I was primarily using that instead of AATBS. When I was about 1 month away from the EPPP test date I paid for the AATBS Exam Simulator and was doing practice tests every 5-7 days. My initial practice test was 70% which made me think I was doing something right. I looked at the breakdown of my performance and decided to work on the weakest areas (research, test construction, and org psych). My second practice test score DROPPED to 67%... I was a little concerned because the content areas that I displayed a strength in had dropped pretty sharply, but since I saw an increase in research, test construction, and org psych I felt a little better. I decided to work on the content areas that dropped (abnormal, behavioral, and assessment). The biggest mistake I made during this month of studying was taking a practice test after work. I was extremely tired and made several careless errors on the practice tests. On my third practice test (taken after work) my score DROPPED AGAIN to 64%. After this practice test I decided to start studying early in the morning before work for 2 hours and study again for 2 hours after work but not do any practice tests. After doing using this study approach my fourth and final practice test was 68%.

The actually EPPP was horrible. The questions were either very easy or impossible to answer. I walked away feeling very confident I failed. I typically dont go back and check my answers, but for some reason I did for the EPPP. When I came home I checked some of the answers I changed last minute and most were changed to the wrong answers. I felt horrible! I prepared all my family members for likely possibility of me failing. My wife and toddler were incredibly supportive throughout the entire process and the thought of putting them through this again was weighing me down.

After 2 weeks I got my score... 583! I actually passed!

My advice for studying is go hard! Dont do what I did and take one week to read an entire section... by the time you finish and move on to the next section you will likely forget everything your learned. Also, dont be discouraged by sub-70 practice test scores on AATBS practice tests. The tests are hard and similar to the EPPP. From what I've read (and experienced) scores in the mid-60's will likely put you in the 500's on the actual EPPP.

Best of luck to everyone studying!

I have been viewing this forum for the past few months for inspiration as I prepared to take the EPPP. What I found most helpful were "success stories" that included detailed study procedures and practice test scores... Seeing others experience what I was going through during preparation helped me push though the fear and anxiety of this miserable test.

I began studying in July and recently took the EPPP in mid October. From July to August I did light read of all the material (using 2010 AATBS books and CDs). It was a complete was of time! I study perhaps 1-2 sections per week and was doing about 1 hour per day. I did not retain anything and at the end of the two months I was exactly where I started off.

I took a more intense study approach in September and began study 2-3 hours per day on weekdays and 4-5 hours on the weekends. A friend of mine gave me her Academic Review materials and I was primarily using that instead of AATBS. When I was about 1 month away from the EPPP test date I paid for the AATBS Exam Simulator and was doing practice tests every 5-7 days. My initial practice test was 70% which made me think I was doing something right. I looked at the breakdown of my performance and decided to work on the weakest areas (research, test construction, and org psych). My second practice test score DROPPED to 67%... I was a little concerned because the content areas that I displayed a strength in had dropped pretty sharply, but since I saw an increase in research, test construction, and org psych I felt a little better. I decided to work on the content areas that dropped (abnormal, behavioral, and assessment). The biggest mistake I made during this month of studying was taking a practice test after work. I was extremely tired and made several careless errors on the practice tests. On my third practice test (taken after work) my score DROPPED AGAIN to 64%. After this practice test I decided to start studying early in the morning before work for 2 hours and study again for 2 hours after work but not do any practice tests. After doing using this study approach my fourth and final practice test was 68%.

The actually EPPP was horrible. The questions were either very easy or impossible to answer. I walked away feeling very confident I failed. I typically dont go back and check my answers, but for some reason I did for the EPPP. When I came home I checked some of the answers I changed last minute and most were changed to the wrong answers. I felt horrible! I prepared all my family members for likely possibility of me failing. My wife and toddler were incredibly supportive throughout the entire process and the thought of putting them through this again was weighing me down.

After 2 weeks I got my score... 583! I actually passed!

My advice for studying is go hard! Dont do what I did and take one week to read an entire section... by the time you finish and move on to the next section you will likely forget everything your learned. Also, dont be discouraged by sub-70 practice test scores on AATBS practice tests. The tests are hard and similar to the EPPP. From what I've read (and experienced) scores in the mid-60's will likely put you in the 500's on the actual EPPP.

Best of luck to everyone studying!

I am glad you passed, and while no one advocates not studying in some form, I think we need to get away from this notion that you need to study for 6 months or 3 months to pass this thing. If you went to a solid program that trained you well in application and actual psychological science, you don't.

Lets not ramp up the anxiety of future test takers by telling them to spend their weekends in Starbucks for 6 months. Brush up and take some practice exams for a month or so and be done with it.

Last edited:
I studied for approx 8months using AR material. Did ok on practice exams. Took the wretched test and failed miserably. I am not a good test taker. Any suggestions. I'm thinking of going with TSM. this is getting costly!

I studied for approx 8months using AR material. Did ok on practice exams. Took the wretched test and failed miserably. I am not a good test taker. Any suggestions. I'm thinking of going with TSM. this is getting costly!

What do you think it is about the test taking process that has you so tripped up? I ask, because MC is MC. There is not really more than 2 or 3 "strategies" one needs to know. Read questions carefully. Dont change answers unless very confident and you have had an epiphany about it. If you have to do a blind guess, use stats and choose same letter each time. I am not sure what else there is to know about taking a MC test. Either you know the answer of you don't.

Unless you have some sot of paralyzing anxiety, then I really think you need to put the onus back on yourself, your training, and what/how your studying.

I don't mean to seem smug. I just think that people are over-studying, and it seems to me that this may increase test anxiety, lower confidence, and lead to self-doubt; all of which can hamper test performance. We don't know that studying for months on end is the best approach. It may be counterproductive. Passing after 4 months of studying doesn't mean you wouldn't have passed had you studied for a week or two. In the end, it isn't about what "works" for any given individual, because for the vast majority of us (~85%) whatever we do works. I'd like to see a study that randomly assigns people to no study, short study, long study and see what happens. Anecdotally, I've seen several people post (or talk about) studying for a week or two and doing fine. I've never seen a person say they studied for a week and failed... of course, if that were me, I probably wouldn't admit it either. On the other hand, I've seen several posts about studying for months on end and failing.

I don't mean to seem smug. I just think that people are over-studying, and it seems to me that this may increase test anxiety, lower confidence, and lead to self-doubt; all of which can hamper test performance. We don't know that studying for months on end is the best approach. It may be counterproductive. Passing after 4 months of studying doesn't mean you wouldn't have passed had you studied for a week or two. In the end, it isn't about what "works" for any given individual, because for the vast majority of us (~85%) whatever we do works. I'd like to see a study that randomly assigns people to no study, short study, long study and see what happens. Anecdotally, I've seen several people post (or talk about) studying for a week or two and doing fine. I've never seen a person say they studied for a week and failed... of course, if that were me, I probably wouldn't admit it either. On the other hand, I've seen several posts about studying for months on end and failing.

I'd imagine there's probably a self-selection bias going on in there (e.g., the folks studying for a week or two are less anxious and feel [and perhaps are] better-prepared to begin with). Also, I think the specific situation you're in could have a huge effect on the amount of anxiety you experience--being on fellowship and not yet absolutely needing to pass is different than being in a job where if you don't pass, they're going to fire you.

That being said, I agree that the test elicits HUGE amounts of anxiety and what seems to be over-preparation, although I still have a couple weeks to go until I take it, so I can't say for sure if it's entirely warranted/unwarranted. From what I've seen and heard, I'd personally peg the studying "sweet spot" at ~1 month, and like ADDICTED2STATS, would be curious to see if preparing for longer/shorter than that resulted in substantively higher/lower pass rates.

This is how I determined how long I studied. Academic Review recommended 3 months of approximately 15 hours per week of studying. Because I bought their materials, I decided it would be wise to listen to them. With working full-time, if not more, and having a family (spouse and small child), I could not consistently commit to the full 15 hours a week for three months (stuff happens unexpectedly when you have children and I wasn't willing to miss out on important moments and events and there was more than a time or two when I had to stop studying to help my husband out with our child). My anxiety drove me to start studying approximately 6 months before taking my test. I agree, in hindsight, this was likely not necessary in passing; however, it was effective in reducing my anxiety.

Could I have studied for less than this 6 month period and still passed? More than likely; however, upon doing my own cost-benefit analysis, I decided that the cost of failing was much greater to me and my family than over-studying. Could I have passed after studying only a week? I doubt it, but I will never know (I did not have the ability to take off from work and study full time).

I do think my study time had to do with my anxiety, my adhering to the recommendations given by academic review, my family circumstances, and my typical study regimen. Additionally, I live in a state where I could not take the test until I finished my post-doc hours and my post-doc hours took a year and a half due to a few factors. I do think it would have been easier and I would have had less anxiety had I been able to take the exam immediately following internship as some material would have been fresher in my mind.

This is my N of 1. =)

P.S. Happy veterans day and thanks to all who served and continue to serve our country!

Last edited:
I have been tracking this thread carefully while I prepared for the EPPP. I think I am a little different from many of the EPPP takers in that I received my Ph.D. quite a long time ago in 2002! I graduated from a highly research oriented clinical psych program, and subsequently did a post-doc and joined the faculty at a large research medical school. Obtaining a license was not a high priority for me in my 100% grant funded position (getting grants, running projects and writing papers was all consuming)... until the research funds started dwindling and it made sense to finally get my license to maximize my flexibility. So, over the past 11 years, I have become quite specialized, and I found it immensely humbling to brief through the EPPP materials handed "down" to me by a post-doc who recently took the exam. Psychology is such a large part of my identity - I was a psychology honors undergrad, scored high on the psych GRE's, eventually earned entry into a top-ranked clinical science program, and am now recognized as a “junior” expert in my field... but after over 10 years since my internship, I quickly realized that I was very rusty in many areas and there was a quite a bit that had not been covered (or at least I didn’t remember covering) when I took my graduate courses 15 or so years ago!

The materials I received included the 2010 PsychPrep study guide and numerous old practice tests. I was a bona fide flashcard person as an undergrad/grad student, but I knew I did not have the time to make thousands of flashcards. So, I did some investigating and found the inexpensive but very useful StudyPsych EPPP Flash Card iphone ap, which I purchased for $30.

With my usual demanding schedule and as the mother of 2 school age children, like many other EPPP test-takers I had limited time to devote to studying. My first task was therefore to decide how to organize my studying so that I would maximize the time I had. I began about 7 weeks prior to the exam, and created a schedule that involved 3 PsychPrep chapters and 3 practice exams a week, including “re-testing” on items I got wrong on any test. NOTE: I did NOT end up taking this many exams! To determine the order of chapters read, I decided to forego the suggested order by the prep company and instead to begin with the areas that had the highest percentage of questions on the real exam per ASPBB (ethics=15%; treatment, intervention, prevention=14%; assessment diagnosis=13%; cognitive affective bases=13%). I combined this with a few areas that I knew (or at least used to know!) really well, with the idea that I would more easily refresh any rusty patches in those areas. Unfortunately, neither the 2010 PsychPrep materials nor the current StudyPsych EPPP flashcards actually break down their materials the same way as ASPBB currently does, so I read the ASPBB descriptions (on their website) of each area and combined across chapters.

PsychPrep Study Guide (2010): This was a pretty straightforward review, which presented information in reasonable chunks, was written in pretty clear language, and seemed at the time neither too dense nor too shallow. I used it mostly to get a “big picture” refresher (or exposure) to all the major areas. Also, as I took practice tests, I re-read the sections of the study guide associated with each wrong answer. Along with reading the test answer explanation given with the practice tests, reviewing the relevant paragraphs in the text helped to put the information in its broader context.

StudyPsych EPPP Flash Cards: Flashcard ap use was ongoing throughout the 7 weeks, approximately 75 minutes total throughout the day - but pretty much during any “free time” I had - in chunks ranging from 2-60 minutes – e.g., waiting for elevator or meeting to begin, walking to and from work, waiting for my kids to fall asleep at night, etc. I definitely recommend the ap if you do not mind that the response format is free recall (v. multiple choice). I actually preferred this, because I feel it tested my knowledge better, and was a good complement for the multiple choice practice tests. Features of the ap:
1) can combine cards or decks as you like to prioritize mastery of specific domains
2) there are a variety of study modes including browse (where you simply review the cards), and several test modes (where it keeps track of your responses to each card, and you can set the target number of correct responses that you consider mastery, and then it will remove the card from the deck; I would test myself in groups of 10 cards, and then have it repeat missed cards, but the settings are very flexible so you can customize with your preferences);
3) it keeps stats for correct rates and time studied in each domain (or each deck if you have created your own)
4) you can make your own flashcards (which I did for a few meds);
5) it has user friendly features like swipe up for “definitely know” (thumbs up!), swipe right for “know it but not confidently or completely”, swipe down – “definitely do not know” (thumbs down), and it uses your ratings to determine the presentation frequency
6) good content coverage - I would say that much of the content that was covered in the PsychPrep study guide was also covered in the flashcards (this was also reassuring because my study guide and the practice tests are relatively “old” but the flashcards apparently are updated on an ongoing basis).
7) There are info buttons on many of the cards, which allow you to link to additional content about each card if you are connected to internet (you do not need to be connected to use the ap).
8) All in all, WELL worth the modest fee. Even if you do not use it as much as I did, I think it would be a great, inexpensive "on the go" complement to most other study tools.

Practice Tests: I followed the suggestion of jumping right in taking practice tests from the beginning. Although at first I felt that I should study more before I took practice tests, taking these tests right away was very helpful for gaining immediate experience with the question format. In addition to breaking down the content areas where I was obtaining the lowest percentage, I made notes about WHY I was getting questions wrong (e.g., did not READ the question stem CAREFULLY; fell for test trap of answer choice that sounds like a similar construct to the construct the question is really about, etc). My practice scores (excluding the “retest” scores on incorrect items), in the order in which I took them (and labeled as they were given to me), were:
2006-1 = 56%
2006-2 = 57%
2006-3 = 62%
2006-4 = 58%
2006-5=67%
2006-6 = 75%
2006-7 = 76%
Test A=61%
Test B = 70%
Exam 2 = 77%
Exam 1=81.3%
Test E = 75.7%
PEPPO (3 days before exam) = 510

As you can see, I continued to improve, for the most part, BUT was still in the discomfort zone! The 510 on the PEPPO was particularly discouraging. By the time of the exam, I was completing the 200 questions on each practice test in a little over 2 hours, so thought I would have plenty of time on the exam itself. Across all modalities, I think my total study time was approximately 150-200 hours – about 50-60 hours occurred in the week before the exam. However, despite this and despite my improvements in scores over the weeks, I did not really feel prepared.

Exam day arrived. During the “tutorial” phase prior to the exam, I made sure I understood and practiced how to mark items to review and how to eliminate choices – this came in very handy. When the real exam began, I was hit with a very difficult first question, and it seemed to go downhill from there. I felt like approximately 50% of the questions were not in ANY of the materials I had reviewed – and I was marking nearly every other question to return to later- I did make sure to choose an answer to these questions even though I planned to return to them later, which in retrospect I believe was a good move. I found myself reading and re-reading questions that were stumping me, in some disbelief that the content was completely unfamiliar. And then there were questions that I thought I knew the answer to, but for which I just could not seem to keep myself from falling for test-taking traps, or from second-guessing myself for FEAR that I would fall for a test-taking trap! For many questions, I could narrow the choices to 2, and then had to guess. I completed going through my initial pass of the 225 questions with only a short 30 minutes remaining to review all the questions I had marked for review. I was very uncertain on many of these questions, and I finished my frenzied review with just one minute to spare.

Like so many others have reported on this thread, I walked out of the room deflated, somewhat in shock, and fairly confident that I had failed. In fact, when people asked me how it went, my standard response was “My only consolation is that many people say they feel like they failed afterwards...” I wanted to hold out hope, but at the same time, I didn’t see how I could have possibly passed. I could remember in some detail approximately 15 questions – which I looked up to find that I had gotten 10 wrong and only 5 correct. And these were the questions I remembered specifically– there were so many that I basically had no clue, and was simply taking a shot in the dark, hoping that my general knowledge about how things ought to work would have somehow translated into what these particular studies (which I had never heard of) had actually found. Faced with the unthinkable possibility of having to take the test AGAIN, I spent a lot of time considering how I could have studied better or differently…

I took the exam on the 30th of the month (scheduled based on the info about the scores being released from the test centers on the 15th and last days of the month) and received an e-mail notification exactly one week later saying that my score was available. I couldn’t bring myself to look at my score for several hours, because although I was certain I had failed, I wanted to be able to retain that small inkling of hope that I passed. I finally brought myself to do it, and with heart pounding, brought it up on the screen. And burst out crying – crying like when I received my acceptance letter to grad school – crying like when I got my job offer… near hysterics from relief. 635 – I had PASSED!

I was, and remain, pretty astounded about that.

I apologize for the LENGTHY entry, but because reading this thread was so helpful for me as I prepared, I wanted to also share my experience in case it might be helpful to others. It turns out the materials I used were sufficient to pass, even many years post-Ph.D. Prioritizing my studying based on the highest concentration content areas seemed to have worked well. Clearly, the practice exams and the PEPPO underestimated my final score, and this seems consistent with others reports, but were incredibly helpful for narrowing in on content areas for which I needed further review and for helping me identify (and somewhat rectify) my test-taking weaknesses. And, I can definitely chime in that overwhelming certainty about having failed is not a good predictor of final outcome!! Good luck to all!!

I have been ranging high 60's with one 71 on my first pass through on the psychprep ones. 2nd time through are much higher but there are no practices on the real thing. I take the EPPP in a few weeks and have been studying a lot more the last few days. I definitely find reviewing the answers and explanations to the questions you get wrong helpful, as it fills in gaps and helps you learn more about areas you may be weaker in. Hopefully I will pass, as there can only be so much they can throw at you, right? :( :)

I just want to echo the posters that indicate over-studying can be a problem. I was in that same boat - pretty solid test taker, didn't want to devote too much time. I listened to the audio while I commuted for a couple of months, but didnt do anything active to study until about 2 weeks before. I hit the books hard then and then passed after spending a few hours per day on it for 2 weeks.

I notice this trend of everyone piling on more and more studying. You have to do what makes you feel comfortable, but DO NOT believe that you have to study for months on end. If that makes someone else feel more confident, then feel free to spend your time that way. But for me, knowing that I felt pretty solid about standardized tests anyways, I had things that were much more important to do (like publish papers and go on dates with my wife).

This isnt to be insensitive to people who struggle on these types of tests. It is just to present another perspective, because I don't think anyone should waste any more time than they have to on this test. I am glad that it is hard enough to weed out some folks, but the test could be a lot more face valid IMO.

I couldn't find a more relevant thread to add this to... I recently tested in NY, and know that scores were released on the 30th. Does anyone have recent experience testing in NY-- do they still just mail you the results or do they email you/post to ASPPB? The last person I'm in touch with that took it in NY it was in 2005, and it was just paper at that point. I'm hoping by now they've upgraded...

If I may ask ... outside of the astronomically expensive online practice exams available through PsychPrep and AATBS, where do folks fine the practice exams that you are describing using during your studies. I also recall there used to be a $75 option available for retired questions somewhere, but I don't see that anymore.

I know some people have them handed them to them. But if that's not an options, what ARE some options to acquire practice exams and retired questions? I don't mind if they are paper and pencil, it's about practicing the content at this point. Would love to be pointed in the right direction. Thanks!

I couldn't find a more relevant thread to add this to... I recently tested in NY, and know that scores were released on the 30th. Does anyone have recent experience testing in NY-- do they still just mail you the results or do they email you/post to ASPPB? The last person I'm in touch with that took it in NY it was in 2005, and it was just paper at that point. I'm hoping by now they've upgraded...

They still snail mail the results. I strategically took the exam on the 15th of Sept 2013 and still did not receive the results until Oct 4. My converted score was 80 and scaled score was 563. (I never did find out what the scaled score is for the required 75 converted score)
Hope this helps.

Reading the tests scores of others helped to relieve some of the anxiety I experienced during the EPPP odyssey. I know there are those who studied for a week and passed with flying colors but I'm writing to encourage those like myself who might be facing some testing challenges. I am an old lady and anyone who has scored a WAIS knows the effects of aging on memory. As well, I studied at a non traditional depth psychology institute-so a lot of the material on the test was new (and mostly offensive to my sensibilities). I scored extremely/amazingly low on my first practice test but, I'm sure some of the one weekers on this site would have a hard time with an exam crammed with Tiefenpsychologie. Ok, I admit they probably would not have scored 39% like I did. (smh) So don't be discouraged .... Really, if I can pass, so can you. Here are my scores. I hope this helps someone.
Good Luck

PSYCH PREP seminar Oct 2013

I planned to study for three months and sit for the exam in Feb 2013 but the NY board took six months to approve me so I stopped studying in Feb and picked it up again in June once I was approved.

EPPP September 15 2013 80% 563 scaled score

EPPP Retired Questions 76 %

Quiz Points Score Date
TEST D -- TEST MODE [2] 181/200 91 % 2013/09/11
TEST D -- TEST MODE [1] 181/200 91 % 2013/08/12
TEST E -- RETAKE MODE 185/200 93 % 2013/09/09
QUIZ QUEST -- TEST MODE 178/200 89 % 2013/09/06
TEST C -- TEST MODE [2] 171/200 86 % 2013/09/04
TEST C -- TEST MODE [1] 159/200 80 % 2013/07/25
TEST E -- STUDY MODE 185/200 93 % 2013/09/02
TEST B -- TEST MODE [2] 177/200 89 % 2013/09/01
TEST B -- TEST MODE [1] 152/200 76 % 2013/07/19
TEST A -- TEST MODE [2] 174/200 87 % 2013/08/31
TEST A -- TEST MODE [1] 158/200 79 % 2013/07/14
EPPP WORKS -- TEST MODE 146/175 83 % 2013/08/30
TEST E -- TEST MODE 144/200 72 % 2013/08/28
QUIZ QUES -- RETAKE MODE 151/200 76 % 2013/08/23
EPPP WORK -- RETAKE MODE 119/175 68 % 2013/08/19
TEST D -- RETAKE MODE 134/200 67 % 2013/08/10
TEST D -- STUDY MODE 115/200 57 % 2013/07/08
EPPP WORKSHOP -- WS MODE
8. Biological Bases of Behavior 10/22 45 % 2013/06/28
EPPP WORKSHOP -- WS MODE
7. Cognitive-Affective 11/15 73 % 2013/06/10
EPPP WORKSHOP -- WS MODE
6. Test Construction 5/13 38 % 2013/02/06
EPPP WORKSHOP -- WS MODE
a11. Social and Multicultural 14/19 74 % 2013/02/02
EPPP WORKSHOP -- WS MODE
a10. Developmental 15/21 71 % 2013/02/02
QUIZ QUESTIONS -- STUDY MODE
8. Developmental Psychology 18/18 100 % 2013/02/02
EPPP WORKSHOP -- WS MODE
4. Assessment/Diagnosis 7/12 58 % 2013/02/01
EPPP WORKSHOP -- WS MODE
3. Industrial/Organizational Psychology 12/19 63 % 2013/01/31
EPPP WORKSHOP -- WS MODE
5. Ethics 17/19 89 % 2013/01/31
EPPP WORKSHOP -- WS MODE
2. Statistics 9/12 75 % 2013/01/30
EPPP WORKSHOP -- WS MODE
1. Intervention 14/18 78 % 2013/01/29
EPPP WORKSHOP -- WS MODE
Test Taking Strategies 15/20 75 % 2013/01/29
TEST B -- RETAKE MODE [2] 158/200 79 % 2013/01/22
TEST B -- RETAKE MODE [1] 137/200 69 % 2012/12/17
6b. Test Construction 14/14 100 % 2013/01/12
6a. Research Design and Statistics 15/15 100 % 2013/01/12
TEST C -- RETAKE MODE 178/200 89 % 2013/01/
5. Treatment/Interventions 21/30 70 % 2012
4. Industrial/Organizational Psychology 12/18 67 % 2012
TEST C -- STUDY MODE 109/200 55 % 2012
Test A -- Test Access Interrupted 177/200 89 % 2012
TEST A -- RETAKE MODE [2] 38/200 19 % 2012/11/17
TEST A -- RETAKE MODE [1] 135/200 68 % 2012/10/29
3. Ethics 29/30 97 % 2012/11/10
TEST B -- STUDY MODE 106/200 53 % 2012/11/10
2. Biological Bases of Behavior 16/18 89 % 2012/11/05
1. Theories and Principles of Learning 9/10 90 % 2012/10/28
TEST A -- STUDY MODE 78/200 39 % 2012/10/20

I am taking the EPPP in 6 days. I have been studying AR materials from 2008. I got a 440 on the PEPPO (a few weeks ago) and I have taken a mixture of retired questions, PsychPrep, and AATBS practice tests. The highest score I have obtained is a 69.5% on the PsychPrep Test E. Other than that, all scores are in the mid-low 60s. Any advice? I am usually a very good test taker, but getting really nervous about this one.

I just took my EPPP this past Friday after putting in about two good months worth of studying. I'd gotten a 570 on the PEPPPO about a week before and an 81 and 78% on old Psych Prep practice exams D and E, respectively. On the actual exam, which I felt was about equivalent in difficulty to the PEPPPO and Psych Prep exams (maybe just a TAD easier), I felt pretty confident about my responses to 83 items, more confident than not about 75, had about 55 down to a 50/50, and had no clue about 12 items. Now anxiously awaiting my score!

12/27 update: STILL awaiting my score!!! I figured I would not have it until after the new year, but it doesn't make the waiting any easier :)...

Last edited:
I took the EPPP this morning, now in the waiting stage. I was surprised, I thought it was going to be much worse. I didn't think it was all that different than the practice tests from Psych Prep and AATBS. I actually walked out feeling fairly certain that I passed. Here's to hoping that my self-monitoring wasn't way off. :-/ There were 50-60 that were possible misses, but a goodly amount I could narrow down to two. I'm hoping that a lot of those were the experimental questions. I'll update when I hear back!

I took the EPPP this morning, now in the waiting stage. I was surprised, I thought it was going to be much worse. I didn't think it was all that different than the practice tests from Psych Prep and AATBS. I actually walked out feeling fairly certain that I passed. Here's to hoping that my self-monitoring wasn't way off. :-/ There were 50-60 that were possible misses, but a goodly amount I could narrow down to two. I'm hoping that a lot of those were the experimental questions. I'll update when I hear back!

I had a similar experience to some extent--there were certainly questions that I felt were much easier than those on the practice exams I saw, but then there were a slew on which I wasn't nearly as confident. In the end, I felt like there was a real possibility I'd tanked the thing, in part because I'd only studied for about two weeks (I don't necessarily recommend this, btw). However, I ended up passing by a good margin; it took about two weeks for the licensing board to which I applied to get me the results.

Here's to hoping those who took it recently hear some good news soon.

I took it yesterday. I'd been scoring high 70s on the AATBS and AR practice tests so I felt fairly confident. I walked out feeling kind of numb. A day later, I don't feel I passed, but I don't exactly feel like I failed either. The few questions I remembered and looked up I got right except for maybe 2. I don't know what to think other than I hoped I passed because I never want to do that again.

I took it yesterday. I'd been scoring high 70s on the AATBS and AR practice tests so I felt fairly confident. I walked out feeling kind of numb. A day later, I don't feel I passed, but I don't exactly feel like I failed either. The few questions I remembered and looked up I got right except for maybe 2. I don't know what to think other than I hoped I passed because I never want to do that again.

Pretty sure it's par for the course to feel either numb or like you've completely failed afterward. And if it helps at all, of the handful of questions I remembered, I looked them up and ended up getting most of them wrong...but still managed to pass by a large margin.

Study Method:
I used 2013 Academic Review Books, CDs, and practice tests. Basically listened to CD's during commute, read through the books, took my own notes, and took practice tests (each twice). Scored in upper 50s on diagnostic test, and upper 60s on AR practice tests when I first started. After studying several months I was scoring in 70s on first takes and 80s on second takes (these are the scores that AR suggest for test-ready students). At first the amount of material was overwhelming, but just putting in the time was what helped me... After a while it all starts seeming familiar, without having to memorize (this was new for me, as I can usually cram/memorize for less comprehensive tests).

Time & Mentality: I studied somewhere in the 350-400 hour range over the course of 6 months (not solid, we all have things happen in life...I moved/switched jobs mid-studying!). Many folks on here say they studied for a week or two...I know I was not ready to take the exam after two weeks of studying! I also did not have the luxury of having two free weeks to cram. Perhaps I could've gotten lucky and passed, but I guess the student in me saw the exam not just as a hellish exercise (which it was, at times) but also as an opportunity to learn. Yes, some of the material was annoying, but much of it was also quite useful. As a professor, I found myself often quoting things I was learning in class and I taught a research methods course at the same time, so basically used the research study guide to teach my class! Approaching the exam in this way made it somewhat more interesting, and helped pull me out of my anxiety a bit.

Doomsday: On the day of the exam I felt well prepared and calm. I was definitely nervous and the Zeigarnik Effect (see! I did study!) definitely held true, as I seem to recall only what I did not know, though I also did this on practice exams (felt like I did poorly, and did not). One thing I would warn against...Take the test in the same way you practice! I skipped items to come back to (which I did NOT do during practice)... Despite having an extra hour or more left over when I took practice tests, during the actual exam I RAN OUT OF TIME! Yes, I am a slow test-taker, and I tend to dwell on items I'm unsure of. When I ran out of time, I had NO idea how many items I was unable to get to (how many I had marked, and didn't have time to get back to)! Mostly because I didn't finish all items, I left feeling very defeated.

Results: I waited exactly 3 weeks for my score (in MN) though I took the exam on the 17th (they supposedly report on the 15th and 1st) and it was over the holidays/new year so that may have extended the time. Passed with a scaled score of 644. Not too shabby for not finishing!

Doomsday: On the day of the exam I felt well prepared and calm. I was definitely nervous and the Zeigarnik Effect (see! I did study!) definitely held true, as I seem to recall only what I did not know, though I also did this on practice exams (felt like I did poorly, and did not). One thing I would warn against...Take the test in the same way you practice! I skipped items to come back to (which I did NOT do during practice)... Despite having an extra hour or more left over when I took practice tests, during the actual exam I RAN OUT OF TIME! Yes, I am a slow test-taker, and I tend to dwell on items I'm unsure of. When I ran out of time, I had NO idea how many items I was unable to get to (how many I had marked, and didn't have time to get back to)! Mostly because I didn't finish all items, I left feeling very defeated.

Results: I waited exactly 3 weeks for my score (in MN) though I took the exam on the 17th (they supposedly report on the 15th and 1st) and it was over the holidays/new year so that may have extended the time. Passed with a scaled score of 644. Not too shabby for not finishing!

Are you sure you didn't actually answer them all?! That's great that you passed. I've been anxious and it's only been two days.

A couple of days ago I checked the state board website and I'm listed as provisionally licensed, thus I passed the EPPP! Yay! I have no clue what more scores were quite yet, but at least I passed. The turn around was really quick for it to post... exactly 12 days after my test. I'll update later with how I did and my study methods for comparison. :)

Hey everyone!

Just passed! Whoo hoo! Over 600 too! Guess I studied too long. :)

Anyways, the two weeks leading up to the test I was in this thread looking for advice, help, and comfort (which I received). I thought I would pay it forward.

Here is my story:

So in October I was done with my post-doc hours. In September I had begun my gathering of materials. This included both physical and electronic versions of everything. Workshops, chapters, practice tests, flash cards...from all major publishers as well! Just a ton of information. I had also purchased a flash card app on my Android phone that was extremely helpful. I initially started with the physical books, reading the chapters and taking notes in a notebook for later review. That fell through after two weeks of pure boredom. I decided to go through a first practice test. Oh man was that eye opening. I seriously scored below 50%. I barely knew anything at all. After that test, I kicked it into high gear. I was going through practice tests at home and at work (I had access to over 30 of them) and making flashcards of all the answers I got wrong. Then, for about an hour at night, I would go through each flashcard and try and memorize it. This went on during the weekdays and on the weekends I would go through the psychprep chapters and make more flashcards. I made too many.

Fast forward to November. I was done with studying. My initial push of motivation was now completely used up. I would find myself drifting off to thinking of other things while studying and had drastically improved my practice test scores (easily up to 90%'s on every single one I had taken). I felt ready and wanted to get it over with. I submitted for my ATT letter and went onto the prometric website to sign up. Every single center was filled until the end of December! Ugh!! I wanted to take it late November or early December! Nope, nothing until the 30th.

Well that was no fun. I set my date and continued my minimal studying, believing I was very very ready. That is when the PEPPPO came into play. About two weeks before my test date, I decided to take the PEPPPO as recommended by many on this board. Well, that was crazy. I was so glad I did. I only scored a 390 on it. Yes, a 390. With everyone here saying how this is representative of what you will get on the EPPP my heart sunk into my stomach.

I transformed into a study machine. No joke. I probably studied for nearly 8 - 10 hours a day for the next two weeks. My wife barely saw me, I was sneaking study time in at work, and every spare minute I spent going through practice tests or on the flashcard app. I was scared and anxious beyond belief. All I could imagine was receiving a non-passing score and having to do this all over again. Did I mention my wife is in her third trimester as well? Yeah, that did not help to reduce my anxiety!

Test day rolled around and I was beyond nervous. It took me almost the entire time, maybe 30 minutes to spare after having gone through my marked items. The test was pretty similar to the PsychPrep questions, but with added "what the heck are they asking" terminology. I actually saw maybe 20 of the same exact questions that are on the PsychPrep and AATBS practice tests. Glad I went through both! There were other questions that took a total of 1 second to answer and even more questions of the whole, "I truly have no idea what they are asking despite reading this question eight times over." I would say that I knew, for a fact, probably 50 of the questions. I was 100% for sure. I did not know, for a fact, at least 50 more. The rest were up in the air. I knew a majority of the concepts and could mostly get it down to two answers and would do my best to try and figure it out. On some I felt so proud after I worked it out, linking multiple concepts and coming up with an answer. Other times, a vocabulary term would come up and just mess me up. I knew what they were asking but not what exact part of the concept they were asking about. Of course I had those questions that I had studied for, remembered answering, then looked up afterward to see that I had answered them wrong. Ugh!

Long story short, I left the test feeling like it could have gone either way. I was neither confident of passing or failing. I was preparing myself for the failing score, in my mind. I of course, stopped studying and focused on other things that were actually enjoyable.

Again, I took the test on December 30th. Received my results on January 8th. Passed with flying colors. I received an email and had to log into the ASPPB to get them. I was beaming and am so happy that horrible hurdle is done with. For those of you reading this, you will pass, no matter what others tell you. If you put in the time to memorize the nonsense they want you to regurgitate back to them, then you will pass.

Final tips:

1. Gather all your materials and decide a method...then stick with it!
  2. Practice tests are your bread and butter!
  3. Try and get, no matter how old, practice test versions from both PsychPrep and AATBS. They both seem to match very similarly to the EPPP (PsychPrep the most).
  4. Take the PEPPPO and use it as motivation.
  5. If you feel like you failed, that is normal.
  6. You only need 2-3 months to study (1-2 hours a day, 4 hours a day on the weekends)
  7. When your motivation is lost, take a challenging practice exam for remotivation.
  8. Schedule your test date early!
  9. And the best tip I was ever given: NEVER TELL ANYONE EXCEPT MAYBE YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER WHAT DAY YOU ARE TESTING. This will relieve ungodly amounts of stress and pressure of "everyone knowing you failed."
Please feel free to contact me if you want to know anything else. I feel as though I am a seasoned battle veteran now when it comes to the EPPP and can hopefully help someone else pass.

Also, if you are interested in the materials I used:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ectronic-format-mp3-pdf-doc-etc-tons.1049819/

Good luck!

-SF

I agree the recs above, particularly the strong emphasis on practice tests (particularly from the test prep companies rather than the retired questions, which are noticeably easier) and on the feeling of failure being normal. And yes, keeping the test date a bit of a secret really does alleviate some anxiety. I didn't (for a variety of reasons), and that certainly added to my feeling of, "well crud, if I fail, everyone here is going to know about it."

My strategy was to start with a couple practice exams to see what areas I needed to cover the most heavily and (since I only had about a week and a half to study) which areas I could either save until last or forego entirely. Probably half of my study time was spent taking and subsequently reviewing all the answers for practice exams.

I passed with a 616!!
This thread has been a great source of information and reassurance that everything would work out in the end, so I wanted to make sure to pay it forward. I studied off and on (nothing serious) for a couple months, made some flashcards, and read through a few exams. That really didn't help, and I wasn't breaking over 65% on practice tests. Then I scheduled the exam and got serious. I had 6 weeks to make the information stick. I finished my flashcards, about 30 for each topic, and read through them about 1x/week, more as I got closer. I took a practice exam, either psychprep or academic review several times per week (only took about 1.5 hours each time). I kept a binder of questions I had missed and highlighted the explanations. I filled one 8x10 paper, front and back, with drawings of concepts I needed to memorize. I copied this several times so that I could recreate the concepts as necessary on the scrap paper provided during the exam. The highest I ever scored on a practice exam (first time) was 79%. On the day of the exam I arrived at the testing center 2 hours early. I reviewed all my flash cards and my picture page. The exam itself was awful!!! I, too, would love to see my reactions caught on camera. I cursed at the computer, had my head in my hands, and generally thought it was a cruel joke. About halfway through I seriously contemplated walking out. Although I recognized most of the concepts, they seemed to be presented in a way that didn't connect to how I had studied them. I finished the exam with 30 minutes to spare. I had marked almost 75% of the questions as ones to return to but didn't have time to get through hardly any (good thing I had answered every question even if unsure). I had no doubt when I walked out that I had failed. Then I waited almost an entire, excruciating month for my score (definitely a mistake to take the exam on the 16th). I am still in shock that I actually passed and am gladly accepting all the "I told you so's" from family and friends.

I should add that I have a family, including an infant, and a full-time job. I did not study round the clock.

Last edited:
Wow, this is a very informative, useful and perhaps even scary forum! My situation is a bit different than most on here it seems. I have a masters in clinical psych which I received a long time ago (2001). Since that time I have worked as a psych assistant in the state of Ohio. Since completing my training I have continued to study psychology and philosophy for its own sake, which luckily resulted in me having a better than average familiarity with neuropsychology and social psych, and working in the field has helped maintain some knowledge of abnormal and testing/assessment. I am planning on taking the EPPP in late March so as to become licensed in the state of NC as a licensed psychological associate. I think the required pass score is 450 for masters level psychs so that takes a light amount of pressure off. I obtained the aatbs materials from 2009 and I have been reviewing them daily for the last few weeks. I have the study books/content summaries, the audio CDs, and the color coded flash cards. So far I have been using the flash cards a lot as this method was something I always used in undergrad and grad. I was wondering what other materials are recommended? I see some people like AATBS but say that it is too detailed or overkill. I feel pretty strong (at least knowledge of the note cards) for neuro, abnormal, behavioral, and developmental, and getting there with clinical and social. I realize I only have a masters, but there is a lot of stuff in the clinical material I have never heard of! Herek’s model of homosexual identity, and so and so’s model of black/racial identity, and the like. Its taking me some time to memorize these things as each one has their own “model” which has 3 or 4 stages and then sub stages! The worst section will undoubtedly be the IO section. I have zero interest in that area and have never had a class in it.
So, I suppose I just want to know what other materials are recommended over and above what I already have? I don’t know if I have practice tests with the materials I have, but had planned on buying the online test simulator from aatbs or whatever company is most recommended. This is a ton of material! Luckily I am gainfully employed and am doing ok as a psych assistant, so the pressure isn’t quite as intense as those of you who’s jobs depend upon you passing. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Has anyone who took the EPPP on or before the 15th of this month (NY)received their results yet?

Has anyone who took the EPPP on or before the 15th of this month (NY)received their results yet?
I took mine in CA 1/6/14. Received my results online yesterday around 11 am PST.

P.S. I passed! I was in shock, even checked it multiple times after that to make sure I didn't imagine it. As for studying I used AATBS books/audio cds. Toward the end I did the online workshop and testpro. I'd also had a variety of practice tests (AR/AATBS/Psych Prep) that were handed down to me from classmates. I studied about 2 hours a day for about 1.5 months.

Now on to the CSPE!

I took mine in CA 1/6/14. Received my results online yesterday around 11 am PST.

P.S. I passed! I was in shock, even checked it multiple times after that to make sure I didn't imagine it. As for studying I used AATBS books/audio cds. Toward the end I did the online workshop and testpro. I'd also had a variety of practice tests (AR/AATBS/Psych Prep) that were handed down to me from classmates. I studied about 2 hours a day for about 1.5 months.

Now on to the CSPE!
Congratulations! I took the exam on the same day in NY, but haven't received results. We have to wait for the results to come by mail. Sigh...i hope I'm as fortunate as u are and receive a passing score. Best wishes!

Congratulations! I took the exam on the same day in NY, but haven't received results. We have to wait for the results to come by mail. Sigh...i hope I'm as fortunate as u are and receive a passing score. Best wishes!

My results came by snail mail as well, but the state to which I applied (not NY) gave me the basics over the phone when I called a couple weeks after the exam. However, I know some states explicitly discourage/disallow calling for EPPP results, and I wouldn't be surprised if NY were one of said states.

If it helps at all, the letter arrived after about 2.5 weeks.

Thank you very much, it does help. NY is one of those states that will not disclose results...lol I know from personal experience. They will only tell you they have received your results. But because I'm such a hot mess over waiting I read into the tone of their voice and now I'm convinced I failed! Smh....this process feels like torture :(

So I knew I passed from checking the board's website of licensed clinicians, but now that my detailed results are in I'm happy to share. I got over 700 on the EPPP, which lets me know that I probably over-studied. But I am very much okay with that. :) Feeling over-prepared/totally saturated is what works best for me in terms of performance and anxiety management.

I used a mixture of AATBS and Psych Prep materials, and took a total of 12ish practice exam across those two systems, most of which were a few years old. The study strategy that yielded the most bang for my buck, hands down, was taking the practice tests, then extensively reviewing those tests... both the right and the wrong answers and rationales for each. This helped more than just taking the tests and certainly more than reviewing materials. By the end of my studying process I was making 78-83% on first-time tests and 88-96% on repeat tests. To be honest, I probably would have been fine just using either of those materials rather than both, but it was soothing to me to cover materials widely.

As far as strategies during the actual test, my biggest advice is to not linger or ruminate. If you see a question you don't know the answer to, try to eliminate an answer choice or two (if you can) and then take your best guess and choose an answer. "Mark" it for review so that you can review it at the end if you have time and so desire, and move on. I don't think I spent more than a minute on any one question during the first pass through. At the end if you have time to go back and review the questions you marked, don't change your answers unless you have an epiphany, or something you read in a later questions actually helped you to know the answer.

And do whatever helps you to turn down the dial on the anxiety. For me, when I sat down to take the test I was buzzing with nerves and weird excitement, and nothing I read was sticking with me or making sense. I was reading, but my brain was bouncing all over the place and not actually digesting what I was reading. So I had to stop for a moment, take a couple deep breaths and practice a little self-hypnotic intervention, remind myself it's just a test, and then get back into the groove.

Good Luck!!

Reactions: 1 users