Eppp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted75966

nt

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. Would have liked to see some overall averages as well, but still very helpful.

What is considered a "pass" on the EPPP? Does your actual score carry any meaning beyond whether you passed or not? I know disturbingly little about how it works (though I guess since I'm just starting grad school I'm probably not expected to know TOO much about it yet). My school is around a 157 which doesn't seem bad, but isn't quite as high as I'd like compared to some of the other places.

Members don't see this ad :)
The scoring is completely different now - it has been recalibrated so that a 500 is passing in most (all?) states, which is supposed to be equivalent to the 70th %ile of yore.

You can score up to 800 points, like most standardized tests.

I took the EPPP a few years ago, and it was already scored this way.

. . .was nervous about it (didn't like that I couldn't argue about their wrong answers). . .only studied for a week (a friend told me that was all that was necessary, but I was a bit freaked out by people claiming to study for months). . . but I got about a 90% on the damned thing. I am glad to be done. It wasn't so hard. There were some good flash cards online. Wikipedia is a useful tool.

Higher scores don't mean jack. Pass rate varies by state. Most hover around a 70 percent (about 139/200) mark.

Where are you in this process, T4Change?

Still got some time....I'm applying to internships this year. I did a pre-test for the EPP and scored in the low 80's (just to get an idea of what was involved), but when I get to it...i'm definitely going to study more than I probably feel like I should. :laugh:

I know CA has a low 60's pass rate (last time I checked), so it definitely varies by state.

Last edited:
Heh. That's what I get for not reading the document. ;)

Though the info is still worth putting out there, as the score report doesn't provide percentile info. I remember getting my score, and having no idea what it meant! Nobody bothered to tell me that the scoring had been changed, and all I was told by my "elders" was that I needed a 70th percentile to pass...

Any second timers prepping for the EPPP? Any advice to get motivated again?

How long did it take everyone else to get their scores? I wrote this thing in fraking OCTOBER and I don't have my scores yet. The TX board claims that they just got the scores from ETS before T-giving when I called them in Nov, but I still don't have my scores.

. . .was nervous about it (didn't like that I couldn't argue about their wrong answers). . .only studied for a week (a friend told me that was all that was necessary, but I was a bit freaked out by people claiming to study for months). . . but I got about a 90% on the damned thing. I am glad to be done. It wasn't so hard. There were some good flash cards online. Wikipedia is a useful tool.

Higher scores don't mean jack. Pass rate varies by state. Most hover around a 70 percent (about 139/200) mark.

Where are you in this process, T4Change?

No kidding about the 'wrong answers' comment :). I remember one question they had on a practice test regarding "why do we run an ANOVA instead of just running multiple t-tests." And then they had some term/phrase for the obvious answer of 'alpha inflation' or 'type I error', etc. They SPECIFICALLY chose some term for that concept that was so obscure that almost no one would recognize the term (wish I could remember it now). It seemed like it was part of a racket by the vendors of the study materials to make sure that--no matter how knowledgeable and well-trained you were--you still HAD to buy their test prep materials.

What.... Some of you are still posting since 2007. I guess you are all licensed now and seasoned psychologist. I just passed the EPPP and get to do my Oral exams in two days. I guess the journey ends or begins pending ones perspective for me on Friday. I already sold all my EPPP books for $200 buck as I don't believe I need them anymore.

No kidding about the 'wrong answers' comment :). I remember one question they had on a practice test regarding "why do we run an ANOVA instead of just running multiple t-tests." And then they had some term/phrase for the obvious answer of 'alpha inflation' or 'type I error', etc. They SPECIFICALLY chose some term for that concept that was so obscure that almost no one would recognize the term (wish I could remember it now). It seemed like it was part of a racket by the vendors of the study materials to make sure that--no matter how knowledgeable and well-trained you were--you still HAD to buy their test prep materials.

Agreed, and that's probably my biggest qualm with the test (other than just the knowledge covered)--it's not necessarily about knowing the material and getting the right answer so much as it is being able to pick about the language of the questions and answers so that you know what the test writers are talking about. Although I was at least happy that the actual test items were easier/more clearly written/slightly less esoteric than the test prep company practice exams.

Agreed, the actual test was far easier than the practice exams. I found much less tricky questioning on those. Especially the neuro/anatomy stuff, which seemed pretty straightforward if you knew the answer. I'd be perfectly fine if they cut out I/O questions, but other than that I have no real qualms. As to the cost, that was one benefit to going to a good-sized training program. We had old tests, study chapters, etc floating around. I spent $0 on study materials. Ones from 3-4 years ago worked just fine.

Agreed, the actual test was far easier than the practice exams. I found much less tricky questioning on those. Especially the neuro/anatomy stuff, which seemed pretty straightforward if you knew the answer.
I took exception to most of the pharma questions, which were consistently poorly written. The I/O questions seemed pretty straight forward, though probably less applicable.

What.... Some of you are still posting since 2007. I guess you are all licensed now and seasoned psychologist. I just passed the EPPP and get to do my Oral exams in two days. I guess the journey ends or begins pending ones perspective for me on Friday. I already sold all my EPPP books for $200 buck as I don't believe I need them anymore.
Congrats on passing. Good luck with the orals.