Equilibrium Constant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thais

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,
I am a bit confused about this question on Equilibrium constant.

The question asks for the equilibrium constant of the neutralization reaction between oxalic acid (Ka=5.9 x 10^-2) and sodium hydroxide?
I get it that Keq = Ka x Kb.
However, I assumed that Kb of NaOH is 1 since it is completely dissociated in H2O, but this is not the right reasoning :( .
Why is NaOH Kb = 1 x 10^14?

Thank you very much! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Kb is just a K value like all the others. It's products divided by reactants.

By suggesting that NaOH has a Kb of 1, you are implying that in water it splits up only half way, so the concentration of product (OH) = the concentration of reactant remaining (NaOH). But you know that NaOH is a strong base and splits up completely, so it will have a lot more products than reactants and the Kb must be much larger than 1.

So is it safe to assume that a strong base Kb always = 10^14, and for a strong acid Ka always = 10^14?
Thank you! :)

So is it safe to assume that a strong base Kb always = 10^14, and for a strong acid Ka always = 10^14?
Thank you! :)

No.

Are there more details to your original question?

Members don't see this ad :)
This isn't my strong suit, but I'd guess you're not supposed to actually be doing any calculations on this problem. What are the answer choices?

True... The answer choices are
A) 5.9x10^-2
B) 5.9x10^12
C) 5.9x10^14
D) infinity

On the explanation the reaction for Na is shown as:

H3O+ + NaOH -> 2H2O + Na+ (1/Kw = 1*10^14)

I get it that Kw would equal 10^-14 hence 1/Kw=10^14 however, I'm a bit confused when I should take a strong acid and base as this and when I shouldn't (I hope my question is making sense - thanks for all the help).

True... The answer choices are
A) 5.9x10^-2
B) 5.9x10^12
C) 5.9x10^14
D) infinity

On the explanation the reaction for Na is shown as:

H3O+ + NaOH -> 2H2O + Na+ (1/Kw = 1*10^14)

I get it that Kw would equal 10^-14 hence 1/Kw=10^14 however, I'm a bit confused when I should take a strong acid and base as this and when I shouldn't (I hope my question is making sense - thanks for all the help).

I don't understand your question. They tell you that you are using a strong acid (oxalic acid) and a strong base (NaOH).

I'm guessing that the answer is 1*10^14 because you are neutralizing a strong acid with a strong base. Both will completely dissociate in solution, so your net ionic equation will be H+ + OH- --> H2O. Kw = 1*10^-14 for the dissociation of water, so your Keq here is 1/Kw.

Regardless, you should be able to immediately rule out answers A and D.

Last edited:
Okay, I'm not 100% on this, but I think I got it:

The net reaction is:
HOxalate + OH- ---> Oxalate- + H2O (Keq1=???)

This reaction is the sum of the following two reactions:
HOxalate + H2O ---> Oxalate- + H3O+ (Keq2=5.9x10^-2)
H3O+ + OH- ---> H2O (Keq3=1x10^14)

If you add the two reactions, you multiply the two K values, and arrive at:
Keq3 = Keq1 x Keq2 = 5.9x10^12

The whole sodium hydroxide thing is kind of a red herring... NaOH is a strong base and dissociates completely into spectator Na+ ions and reactant OH- ions.

Okay, I'm not 100% on this, but I think I got it:

The net reaction is:
HOxalate + OH- ---> Oxalate- + H2O (Keq1=???)

This reaction is the sum of the following two reactions:
HOxalate + H2O ---> Oxalate- + H3O+ (Keq2=5.9x10^-2)
H3O+ + OH- ---> H2O (Keq3=1x10^14)

If you add the two reactions, you multiply the two K values, and arrive at:
Keq3 = Keq1 x Keq2 = 5.9x10^12

The whole sodium hydroxide thing is kind of a red herring... NaOH is a strong base and dissociates completely into spectator Na+ ions and reactant OH- ions.

Strong work