Equilibrium- Solid and Liquid removal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leathersofa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question regarding the affect on equilibrium when solids and liquids are removed. For the sample reaction below,

A(g) + B(l) <----> C(aq) + D(aq)

1. If this reaction were at equilibrium and suddenly liquid B were REMOVED from the reaction entirely, the reaction would have to shift to the left to replace liquid B, right? Since B is the limiting reactant, would the reaction have to shift to the left to generate B so it can then come back to equilibrium again?
**Note: In this example, liquid B is NOT water.

2. Suppose compound B was H2O(l), then would adding more H2O(l) shift the reaction to the right or would equilibrium not be affected since addition of solids and liquids does not affect equilibrium?

Right now i am thinking that adding more liquid water would shift the reaction to the right since products C and D (in aqueous solution) would become more diluted and thus more of the products would have to be generated.

Please let me know if my train of thought makes sense, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Removing reactants = equilibrium shifts to replace reactants. Adding reactants = more products made. It's that simple for the mcat.