Equine (LA) Internal Medicine Salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Equstracks

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m a 4th year veterinary student with a goal of perusing an equine internal medicine residency after my internship. However, I'm struggling to find any good reference information for compensation as a boarded specialist. As such, I was wondering if anyone is currently working in private practice would be able to give me some insight.
 
I’m a 4th year veterinary student with a goal of perusing an equine internal medicine residency after my internship. However, I'm struggling to find any good reference information for compensation as a boarded specialist. As such, I was wondering if anyone is currently working in private practice would be able to give me some insight.
@mkg323

Trying to find data on a specialist's salary is going to be challenging though, I just did a brief search myself and couldn't find much beyond equine GP. There is huge regional variation in salaries (this might hold even more true for equine med) and differences in production/contracts can muddy the waters when it comes to specialists.
 
Hi, thanks for the ping! I’m an equine ambo vet, so unfortunately I cant give you a clear cut answer, but I do have some food for thought. As PP9 mentioned, the hard thing is that each practice is so different in PP. Honestly your base salary may initially look similar to an academic salary (and yes, you can look up the salaries of clinicians at public institutions, I’ve seen 135k-200k) but the production is what gets you that extra $$$. Other things to consider - in PP would you want to purely be a hospitalist? are you willing to be on the road sometimes? or even exclusively on the road? would you be willing to do consult or telehealth for other practices? Your salary will look different based on those factors. And if you are at a clinic, something to consider is that unless you are at a larger, super busy practice, sometimes you’re like fighting for management of hospitalized cases with the surgeon, who’s also trying to make production. As for getting exact numbers - I’d talk to your third year residents at your school about the offers their getting straight out into practice, that would be the most accurate info available to you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad