ER expectations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted some advice from the current residents and attendings that frequent this site.

I am an incoming EM PGY1 and would like to hear about some of your experiences when you started residency. It would be great to hear about what your feelings were prior to starting, what challenges you faced once starting out and any other thoughts/experiences that you can contribute. What was expected of you as a new PGY1, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Bump

No one can offer any personal experiences about starting residency. Come on folks!

Appreciate any advice you have!

Thanks

jf said:
Just wanted some advice from the current residents and attendings that frequent this site.

I am an incoming EM PGY1 and would like to hear about some of your experiences when you started residency. It would be great to hear about what your feelings were prior to starting, what challenges you faced once starting out and any other thoughts/experiences that you can contribute. What was expected of you as a new PGY1, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

You will be expected to know pretty much nothing, to work hard, and to not bitch. Don't make **** up and do what you're told, and you'll be fine.

mike

Agreed! No one expects interns to know everything! (Or even much of anything...we remember the vacation at the end of 4th year!) A good work ethic will go far. I keep a little sheet with the stickers of my pts for the day and their labs to help me remember everyone...after about your 6th chest painer of the day their stories all run together. NEVER NEVER NEVER sign out a rectal, pelvic or other unpleasantry along those lines to your colleague. It's not really fair to the pt to meet a new doc under those circumstances either. Best of luck!