ER intro rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boolin_1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a DO student who is interested. I basically have 4 opportunities for ER rotations between June and August where I can get the 2 SLOE's needed by Oct 1st. By the nature of DO rotations, we are at smaller hospitals, with no residents. I have been doing extra days in the ER at my local site so I don't look like a ***** for my first rotation at a big site.

Is there a rotation site that other people recommend is a good way to get my feet wet before going to a big hospital and getting my SLOE's? I just don't want to waste like 3-4 days getting into the groove of things when you only have around 16 shifts total, if that makes sense.

Any smaller ER sites that people recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

Site doesn’t matter as long as you are seeing patients, working them up and presenting them efficiently to your attending with an A/P.

Listen to the EM clerkship podcast and watch the SAEM video on presenting in the ED -https://www.saem.org/cdem/education/online-education/medical-student-presentations-video

At your actual rotation, learn the floor and anticipate your resident/attending. If the pt has an abscess, get an i&d kit ready; bloody nose, gloves, gown, gauze,nasal rocket. You win in your clerkship when you don’t slow the unit down.

Reactions: 2 users
i used my elective rotation of 3rd year to rotate at the ER i used to work at. it was perfect because we aren't being judged and it gave me the opportunity to be hands on and get into the flow of things! i would use your elective to find an ER ... they don't have to have a residency program either

Members don't see this ad :)
Great question and I will tell you my experience with it. I'm a DO student as well, average in all aspects of my app. I was exposed to ER at a very small rural hospital my third year and then did a rotation at a level II trauma large community center with no EM (has IM) residency program to "get ready" to rock my SLOEs. Well considering I only had 9 places to rank for the Match out of 90 apps, I think my first SLOE was "weaker" and held my application back a bit. I take full responsibility for it, but trying to give some helpful advice.

The rotation during 3rd year didn't really prepare me at all. The doc there is one of my favorite people but he is very old school and doesn't keep up with current EM literature. The rotation at the larger hospital was honestly not that helpful either. I did one procedure and like 3 or 4 lacs. I got practice presenting, but only one of the attendings really gave me feedback on how to make them better for my auditions. I learned a few helpful things, but honestly as an above poster said EM clerkship taught me most of what I used on my rotation. When I got to my first audition I was asked constantly "Is this your first or second rotation?" I think I may have been judged a little harsher because it was my 2nd technically, but it didn't really help me to specifically prepare for impressing attendings at a residency program (note this was a more community program). Most of the other rotators were on their first audition so IMO it may have been more forgivable if their presentations and differentials were less polished. And to be fair it took me a long time to get better at presenting and just being confident. I was not very good even at my 2nd rotation.

That all being said OP, the most important part of your EM rotations is your presentation to attendings. Listen to what EM clerkship has to to say about presenting and watch the EMRA video like 4-5 times. Practice them beforehand, heck practice them before the rotation. They are probably what hold most people back IMO. You want them to be concise. Honestly, just be confident when you give them because you want to seem what you know what you are talking about and are competent. That is not an excuse to lie though! Run through differentials for you most common CC like chest pain, belly pain, HA, etc, etc. Know them cold. Honestly those two things will get you very far, but do all the other stuff that EM clerkship recommends to rock your SLOEs! Also don't be annoying or weird. I think the advice in this last paragraph will serve you better than doing a warm-up rotation but YMMV.

Reactions: 1 user
I appreciate the response. right now I have my first ER rotation in June at a decent busy center, and the July, August, Sept, Oct are planned as ER auditions through VSAS or Clinician Nexus. I figured I can try and plan it out, but I can just listen to EM Basic or EM Clerkship and be ready to learn