ER question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allendo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I do a ER residency later in life could I work as a Family Practice Doc?? Urgent care? Cruise doc?

Members don't see this ad.

Urgent care yes. Cruise doc yes. Family practice no. To do that you would need the training found in a . . . family practice residency. I think their forum is just below ours.

Cruise Lines:

Of the job listings I've seen in the ACEP flyier, all look for at least 3 years of post graduate training (ie a residency) and tend to prefer docs who are board certified in family practice, emergency medicne, or internal medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think he meant "If I do an ER residency, can I do blah blah blah later in life," as opposed to "If I do an ER residency later in life, can I do blah blah blah in the meantime."

Seaglass said:
Urgent care yes. Cruise doc yes. Family practice no. To do that you would need the training found in a . . . family practice residency. I think their forum is just below ours.
I'm not objecting to what you are saying but I find it odd that a FP can work in the ER but we cant work as a FP!! Why Not???

allendo said:
I'm not objecting to what you are saying but I find it odd that a FP can work in the ER but we cant work as a FP!! Why Not???

Supply and Demand. Hospitals won't grant admitting privileges to ER docs acting as an FP b/c there are plenty of BC/BE FPs (relatively speaking). HMOs, medicare, malpractice ins. companies may have a problem with it as well. In the case of an FP acting as an ER doc, this trend is changing and you would be hard pressed to find FPs in Trauma centers in many areas b/c of the reasons listed above (HMOs, medicare, MALPRACTICE). In rural areas where acuity is normally of low volume and traumas are helo'd out FPs are currently acceptable. EM is a relatively new profession and as programs churn out graduates ER spots will be slim pickings for FPs and salaries will decrease when the market saturates. When this is have no clue b/c ER salary analysis is not my bag. goto edphysicians.com and you will get a picture as to what areas will accept FP training and what areas will not. You will also see Radiology type salaries in some very rural areas.