ER rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tae1703

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone here interested in emergency medicine after doing the rotation? what interests you or turns you away from it? i start med school in august and ER is at the top of my list right now.

Members don't see this ad.

The Emed rotation is usually reserved for fourth-years but a few hospitals allow third-years to try it out. Unless some recent grads are reading this thread, we might not hear many replies for little while...

At my school it's a required third year rotation, and there are opportunities to get involved with the emergency med folks as a preclinical student as well. I have to admit, I didn't care for it much -- lots of primary care (which because of the lack of continuity, I never felt like we were doing good primary care), no follow up. People who like it tend to cite the relatively undifferentiated patient at presentation, fast pace, procedures, variety.

If you know you're interested in EM, you might want to contact the faculty and find out whether they have any research or shadowing opportunities (usually they do). It'll get you in touch with people in the field and may help your application down the line.

Anka

Status
Not open for further replies.