ER Scribe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DesertSonata

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got accepted for a scribe position and wanted some advice from those of you who have experience at doing this or have any advice on this in general. I'll be starting really soon and wanted to prepare myself for it. Is there some kind of books to read or useful links I can go over that can help me prepare myself or do you have any advice that you've experienced in this job you could share? I just want to be prepared for this job and not be a pain in the *** asking the doctor all types of questions on whats going on or make him repeat things when I'm scribing. Working in the ER is extremely a serious job and I want to do my best. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

BTW, I've already read several threads on this, but I wanted more specific details. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

are you from southern california?

No, I'm not. I'm from some other state, but don't ask me from where, I'd like to keep it a secrete ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
What typo?!!?.....damn it, you guys probably know where I'm from now.....err..stop changing the subject you guys, all I want is some scribe advice :D

Edit: oh I see it now. Lets leave it like that, thats all you'll know. muahaha!!

No I'm not. Whats up with you guys today. Why are you guys so interested where I'm from?

Is there some kind of books to read or useful links I can go over that can help me prepare myself
As you work, you learn everything by osmosis. You have to learn because you pretty much have to know what's going on to be useful. I would start with a basic medical dictionary so you spell everything right. I have some little tarascon books in my bag that I use occasionally, though more often it's for my own interest. Later on you'll probably want a book on EKG interpretation. I mean you probably could pick up a huge textbook like Tintinalli's EM study guide and read up on things you see. It's really up to you, how far into the rabbit hole you want to go.

I just want to be prepared for this job and not be a pain in the *** asking the doctor all types of questions on whats going on or make him repeat things when I'm scribing.
It's okay to ask questions. Especially when a doctor rattles off a list of 3-4 things and you forget the last one...it's no problem to quickly say "What was that last thing again?" Some doctors, for example, will feed you a lot of information at once: "hey scribe, the pt had mild right flank tenderness, skin was warm to touch, appears clammy and ill. Pyelo vs infected stone. Give them a gram of ceftriaxone, one of dilaudid. Oh and that was urologist Dr. So-and-so, he said blah-da-blah...At some point you are bound to forget something and it's okay to say, "what meds are we giving again?" or whatever. It's really not a big deal as long as you make your best effort.

You gain short term memory ability after a few weeks working...and it becomes painless. When you finally start to know what's going on, it can even be fun. There are some questions you DON'T want to ask....and this is true in all mentor/student relationships: don't ask things you could easily look up yourself, and don't ask very detailed questions that the person probably won't know. Sometimes doctors are very willing to explain concepts...so be on the lookout for learning opportunities. It never hurts to ask "So why are you thinking X and not Y?"

Working in the ER is extremely a serious job and I want to do my best.
Working in the ER is very serious...but also laid back. You'll see. It will be difficult to avoid doing "your best."

BTW, I've already read several threads on this, but I wanted more specific details.

Some of this you won't realize until a few months from now...but here's some useful tidbits:

- be organized, in whatever way works for you.
- always admit your mistakes
- know your doctors preferences and try to follow them
- don't go on autopilot, know the plan for each patient
- don't forget to chart ALL labs/imaging/consults, and alert the doctor when they come back (you'll learn what is pertinent - it doesn't matter if the electrolytes are a bit off when the pt is anemic and you should be looking at the hemoglobin and hematocrit)
- Type accurately and have good spelling, docs really appreciate this
- Show motivation to learn when there is an interesting case, look at films with the doc and ask what they are looking for, most willingly explain things.
- free text the chief complaint history concisely...this takes time to master
- know your abbreviations
- write good progress notes...this also takes time to master. Things like noting the pt's status during workup...don't just say "pt is stable" but describe it, "pt sitting up, watching TV and drinking coke, appears very comfortable."
- rule of thumb: if something significant happens, time stamp and record it, this includes all conversations with other physicians. Make sure to write down their name, i.e. "18:30. D/w neurosurgeon Dr. So-and-so, recommends X,Y,Z, will see pt in ED and f/u in office tomorrow morning for A,B,C"
- At the end of non-trivial cases, write a summary sentence or two about the disposition and their condition upon discharge or admission.

Many of these things the doctors will dictate to you exactly, especially when you are new. As you gain more experience, you will do all these things automatically and with more independence :)

I think they're just joking with you. I don't know anything about ER Scribes. So, I can't help. I'm sure others around here are familiar with them, though. They'll probably chip in what they can tonight or tomorrow. It's late Saturday night. There's not a lot of serious talk going on.

See! Someone helpful DID show up!

Thanks for the detailed post brianmartin. You're making me so excited for this job :)

btw, your link "The ER Scribe Program" isn't working. I was trying to get more info, haha!

Edit: Thanks for fixing. Great link! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright I'm going to guess.......are you in......Reno?

I thought of the most crucial thing:

Don't forget to attend to your physical needs: eat, drink, and use the bathroom. Being in the ED can be so "metaphysical" sometimes that you completely forget to do these things. I saw someone pass out from dehydration once!

No, I'm not from there. Keep guessing :D

So what kind of training do they put you through? And what software are you using....T-system?

How would one go about becoming an ER scribe? It sounds very interesting.

So what kind of training do they put you through? And what software are you using....T-system?

Thanks for the other advice. I actually forget to eat often, so I'm gonna try to remember to make sure and eat cause I'm pretty sure their's gonna be some stuff I'm gonna see that will make me even sicker if I'm on an empty stomach.......hmm..if I'm on a full stomach, I might even :barf:

I better watch out :scared:

btw, I haven't even started yet, so I'm not sure what type of system or software that I'm gonna be using.

kamakazi5 said:
How would one go about becoming an ER scribe? It sounds very interesting.

I'm not sure how, it was mostly luck, what happened is I received an email requesting premed to apply for that position and so I did and got it. I was so excited.:)

No, I'm not. I'm from some other state, but don't ask me from where, I'd like to keep it a secrete ;)

Oh, I wanna guess! Any chance you're from AZ?

Doesn't really matter where you're from. Scribe programs can be great experiences. The above advice has been pretty good from brianmartin. I think organization it key. Always admit to your mistakes and ask for help when needed (which is actually great advice for med school too). Act like a professional (show up on time, wear appropriate clothing, etc.) And as he said, it will be hard not to do your best. Also I second the make sure you eat and drink. You'll feel like **** if you get dehydrated and are starving.

Good luck. It was a wonderful experience for me and hope it will be the same for you.

It can't be Oregon...I'm in Oregon and we don't solicit people through email to apply. So....Idaho?

I'm a scribe right now and the only way you will learn things is by asking. The nice thing about working in an ER is that you aren't with the same Dr's all the time so if you forget something, you can always ask a different Dr. The other thing is that there will be Dr's that have worked with "new" scribes before and they are used to it and are generally helpful. There are always Dr's that don't pay much attention to us but hey, if you don't have thick skin, you probably shouldn't be in the ER to begin with.

Do whatever is asked of you while in the ER also unless it is physically detrimental to you. Don't say things like "it's not in my job description" or things like that. Deal with sending urine to the lab and cleaning up bed pans.

Just my 2 cents...

Hmm, I've never had to touch a bed pan or dip a urine. I think my doc would be pissed if I was asked to do that...since they're paying me to do their charts not the nurse/tech's job. I don't think the OP should necessarily try to do that unless asked to...

Hey guys! I was a scribe in CA and recently moved to Chicago- does anyone know of any scribe (or scribe-like) programs in the Chicago/ Evanston area? I would really appreciate any ideas.

lucky! i wanted to become a scribe but there isnt a program close to where i am..

Hey guys! I was a scribe in CA and recently moved to Chicago- does anyone know of any scribe (or scribe-like) programs in the Chicago/ Evanston area? I would really appreciate any ideas.

If you are a med student, why are you interested in becoming a scribe? Also, are you from Ensenada?

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I figured it would be a good idea to post here than to start a new one.
My question is what kind of training (if any) is required for becoming a scribe? How much does it cost, how long is it, etc.?

depends on where you go and what type of records they use (paper vs. EMR)....and the training is different. Most places that i've worked at give on the job training for at least a month (start off observing, then you chart while being supervised, then you're on your own), as well as studying a scribe manual or online training program with common tests ordered, vocab, how to chart HPI/PE, doctors names in the area for spelling purposes, etc.

Final interview 6 pm tonight for scribe position *fingers crossed*

No, you are all wrong!!! After two years of guessing you're all wrong lol I can't believe you guys kept on bumping this thread.........and look at me go hehe :D

No, you are all wrong!!! After two years of guessing you're all wrong lol I can't believe you guys kept on bumping this thread.........and look at me go hehe :D

OMG :eek:

This was the most pointless and useless thread on the subject. I was looking for some advice on scribing and I had to read this nonsense.

I'm even more late to this, but I was also looking for some info about ER Scribes. As to the guessing game... Minnesota? >.<

I'm even more late to this, but I was also looking for some info about ER Scribes. As to the guessing game... Minnesota? >.<

I'll guess New York, though I'm about 6 years late in the guessing game. I'm looking into becoming an ER scribe as well. I found an organization that provides the training and also oversees the hiring for various hospitals in the area.