Psychiatry Scribe or ED Scribe?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedhelp1234

Reaction score
I recently got two scribe jobs, one is in the psychiatry department and the other is in the ED.

The ED one is with a larger scribe company

The psychiatry one is with a smaller, contract company and will allow me to work in multiple psychiatry units (behavioral health, geriatric psychiatry, crisis stabilization, and the ER (limited to psychiatric patients I would think)). My supervisor said they will also be able to provide a letter of rec after my completion.

Which one do you think would provide better clinical experience? I feel like a smaller company is nicer, but others have said ED scribing provides a more broad experience and I will learn a lot more. I'm conflicted on which one to go with.

Members don't see this ad.

Which sounds more interesting to you? Which pays more?

Reminding us what you have said before about your application profile

On face value, I don't think it matters, but honestly, you need to think about what experience you want that gives you more credibility that you understand healthcare as a system where you will thrive in it. If psych fits your interests in mental health, and let's presume you have experience with crisis counseling (in person or online/text), the psych scribing may help you. On the other hand, there are a lot of companies that do ER scribing, and the pace/knowledge you gain can be rewarding. There are other scribing companies out there that also help with specialty clinics now.

Which one pays more? Is more flexible with your schedule? How much training is involved?

Take advantage now... AI scribing is getting a larger share of the market.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your alternative if med school admission turns out to be unattainable? If you would consider clinical psych or clinical social work, then the psychiatry scribe position might be more advantageous. If you would be thinking more along the lines of paramedic or physician assistant, then the ED job would be better exposure, I think.

Also agree that hours and compensation might play into your decision.

Reactions: 1 user
Reminding us what you have said before about your application profile

On face value, I don't think it matters, but honestly, you need to think about what experience you want that gives you more credibility that you understand healthcare as a system where you will thrive in it. If psych fits your interests in mental health, and let's presume you have experience with crisis counseling (in person or online/text), the psych scribing may help you. On the other hand, there are a lot of companies that do ER scribing, and the pace/knowledge you gain can be rewarding. There are other scribing companies out there that also help with specialty clinics now.

Which one pays more? Is more flexible with your schedule? How much training is involved?

Take advantage now... AI scribing is getting a larger share of the market.
Both pay the same and are equally flexible with my schedule. The ED one requires a bit more training and is a bit more challenging compared to the psychiatry one. If it helps, during my last couple years of undergrad I did a lot of community work on the board of two non-profits, working with the homeless and refugees one-on-one and help connect them to resources. I hope to practice medicine through a public health lens. I don't think I have a particular mental health theme based on those experiences though.

What is your alternative if med school admission turns out to be unattainable? If you would consider clinical psych or clinical social work, then the psychiatry scribe position might be more advantageous. If you would be thinking more along the lines of paramedic or physician assistant, then the ED job would be better exposure, I think.

Also agree that hours and compensation might play into your decision.
If med school admission turned out to be unattainable I would be thinking more along the lines of physician assistant. Leaning with the ED job then, thanks!

Reactions: 1 users