Er Software

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bryanboling5

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everyone,
I'm on a team at our ER that is working on a major overhaul of the dept (facilities, processes, technology etc.) and I personally have been given the task of looking at software to help us. We are a busy Level I trauma center and we see about 40-45,000 patients a year.

The primary thing that I'm looking for is software for discharge instructions. Right now, we have a terribly inefficient system where the doc writes d/c instructions on paper and gives them to a clerk. The clerk then gives it to the nurse who then types up what the doc writes and gives it to the patients. The nurses use Logicare and they like it somewhat, but the entire system needs to be redone.

So, what we'd like to see is a system where the docs can enter d/c instructions and print them and be done with it. We use a tracking system that is very outdated (it is a terminal emulating/DOS type program), so, if we can get a program that works with something like that (or any other type of good sotware that would be useful) that'd be great!

I especially am interested in programs that are "doc-friendly" since the docs here have never had to do anything like that before!

Bryan

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest that you contract someone who has a degree in "Medical Informatics" It's a sub-field of MIS that deals specifically with software and hardware systems in the medical field. If you really want to build an efficient network/system that will meet your needs, the people in this sub-field are the best as they are acutely aware of the particular constraints and needs of departments in the medical world.

-Mike

It's funny that you should ask this question now, as we're discussing this issue on the emed-l mailing list. For those of you not familiar with the emed-l list, it's a mailing list you subscribe to which is populated with emergency medical workers. It's mostly physicians, but plenty of EMTs, paramedics, ER nurses, flight nurses, etc.

emed-l

Members don't see this ad :)
Another source of software vendors is here:

http://ccme.org/index.html

Click on "Healthcare Directory" and then on "search ads." Click one more time on "software vendors."