ER Tech? EKG courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sylus

Dorian Gray
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'd love to become an ER Tech eventually, and I'm trying to get some training that would give me a better chance at landing a job as one and just give me more medical knowledge. So my questions:

1) Does anyone have advice on what sort of training is good for an ER Tech? I know EKG and Phlebotomy are good, but is there anything else?

2) How do I go about finding courses that will train in EKG interpretation? I've googled my heart out and I can't seem to find any... help? If anyone knows any in the Los Angeles area (or even just relatively close if it's a short course), please let me know, I'm don't know where to look.

3) I'd love to take courses in ACLS and PALS but the prereqs for the one I found are: "Paramedic & Above or EMT w/ECG & Pharmacology Knowledge" - EKG I already asked about, but what kind of pharmacology knowledge do they mean and how would one obtain that? Either by some course, somewhere online, self-study, whatever.. I'm just not sure what exactly they're looking for there.

Thanks for any help. :] :love:

Members don't see this ad.

No need for an ECG course. Get "Rapid Interpretation of EKG's" by Dale Dubin.

You'll be up to speed after that, it is how everyone learns to read ECG's.

I was an emt first working for an ambulance service. I then took a course from a technical college in my area that combined ekg and phlebotomy training. Most techs have to be either cna's or emts.

Members don't see this ad :)
You won't pick up EKG through direct training at an EMT-B level (no EKG until EMT-I/P). You'll pick it up through in-field, watching the EMT-Ps do their stuff/introduce you to it.

You won't pick up EKG through direct training at an EMT-B level (no EKG until EMT-I/P). You'll pick it up through in-field, watching the EMT-Ps do their stuff/introduce you to it.

Or reading an EKG book by Walraven, Garcia, or Dubin. (Walraven is best for basic/3-lead EKG's for BLS personnel.)

We don't even get to touch the EKGs :(

Though I've been plugged up to one at the hospital, and I've seen them applied at my hospital rotation. ;)