EMT-B EKG Interpretation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grapp

EMT-A Firefighter
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am getting ready to graduate EMT-B class very soon and feel strong in many areas. I've been doing plenty of extra credit where possible and a good amount of studying for our final.

One thing I've picked up on the side that interests me is reading EKG rhythms, rates, and so on.

As of now I can read the following and determine whether it's normal or not:
- Heart Rate
- Heart Rhythm (Reg, Reg w/ block, PVC Couplets, Independant Ventricular/Atrial Rhytms, and some more basic ones)
- P Wave Evaluation
- PR Interval
- QRS Interval
- QT Interval

Interpretation(s) of what's normal and what's not as well as identifying rhythms.

I can do most of these at this point, if you were an interviewer looking at an EMT-B student, do you feel like this would set them apart from some of the others in their class? After all, in my state to my knowledge this is considered at least an EMT-A skill if not EMT-P. I do realize these are the basics and it can get more complicated, but this is where I'm starting.

Would this set me apart from other students?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I am getting ready to graduate EMT-B class very soon and feel strong in many areas. I've been doing plenty of extra credit where possible and a good amount of studying for our final.

One thing I've picked up on the side that interests me is reading EKG rhythms, rates, and so on.

As of now I can read the following and determine whether it's normal or not:
- Heart Rate
- Heart Rhythm (Reg, Reg w/ block, PVC Couplets, Independant Ventricular/Atrial Rhytms, and some more basic ones)
- P Wave Evaluation
- PR Interval
- QRS Interval
- QT Interval

Interpretation(s) of what's normal and what's not as well as identifying rhythms.

I can do most of these at this point, if you were an interviewer looking at an EMT-B student, do you feel like this would set them apart from some of the others in their class? After all, in my state to my knowledge this is considered at least an EMT-A skill if not EMT-P. I do realize these are the basics and it can get more complicated, but this is where I'm starting.

Would this set me apart from other students?

Thanks!

I'm assuming you are talking about interviewing for a job?

If I were interviewing you for a position, this would not set you apart for me. I would be interested to see if you can perform as a competent, entry level EMT, which I feel is more difficult than you might think. While I applaud you for taking the initiative to advance your learning, it is out of your scope of practice to use EKG interpretation as an EMT, which makes the skill useless to your employer until you are an advanced or paramedic.

All levels of EMS provider suffer from focusing on the sexy advanced skills while tending to neglect some of the very important basic skills. I would encourage you to channel your enthusiasm and energy into becoming a very strong EMT, which will serve you well as your advance your training.

Reactions: 2 users
Not like you can do anything about those rhythms anyways. They have a pulse? Then the heart is beating, not much to worry as a basic. Just get them to the hospital.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not like you can do anything about those rhythms anyways. They have a pulse? Then the heart is beating, not much to worry as a basic. Just get them to the hospital.
It's more like a recommendation to the paramedic on the rig, more than anything but I see your point.

It's probably too late, but it's super risky to be like 'yeah, I know how to do this really difficult task that I'm not actually all that well trained to do.'

Saying you can read an EKG means you can glance at a 12-lead and intuitively differentiate between VTACH vs. A-fib w/ a LBBB aberrancy... or glance at a monitor and intuitively know the rhythm. PR intervals // QRS intervals... that's the easy stuff and nobody really cares.

Now I'm just a medic trying to get into medical school (yikes!), but even from this position if an EMT told me that they could read an EKG I'd really doubt that and question why they brought it up...

Reactions: 1 users